Saturday, December 3, 2011

In My Mailbox: November 28 - December 4, 2011


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


For Review:


In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Thanks to Lydia at Simon & Schuster Children's!

Coming May 8, 2012!

Honor receives her brother’s last letter from Iraq three days after learning that he died, and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. Its contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and Finn's celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her.

Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn's last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn's best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn't seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn. . . and ruggedly good looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage that makes sense only because it doesn’t. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?


Halflings by Heather Burch

Thanks to Zondervan and NetGalley!

Coming February 1, 2012!

After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.


Never Enough by Denise Jaden

Thanks to Simon Pulse!

Coming July 10, 2012!

Loann’s always wanted to be popular and pretty like her sister, Claire. So when Claire’s ex-boyfriend starts flirting with her, Loann is willing to do whatever it takes to feel special…even if that means betraying her sister.

But as Loann slips inside Claire’s world, she discovers that everything is not as it seems. Claire’s quest for perfection is all-consuming, and comes at a dangerous price. As Claire increasingly withdraws from friends and family, Loann struggles to understand her and make amends. Can she heal their relationship—and her sister—before it’s too late?


I cannot WAIT to read In Honor! I loved Jessi Kirby's debut Moonglass, and I'm really getting more into contemporary -- road trip stories are especially fun. Plus, this novel is so timely with the Iraq issue. I'm also quite intrigued by Halflings. It starts off sounding mostly paranormal -- winged guardians? But then suddenly there's a scientist with a dark plan and now I'm not sure if this is SciFi or what! It sounds dark and mysterious. And another contemporary with Never Enough. I really enjoy sister stories. I'm an only child, but I think the dynamic between younger and older sisters is a fascinating one -- and the damage it can do to both.

I probably won't be doing IMMs very much for a while. I think I'm going to really cut back on review copies so that I can focus on my already massive TBR. I've gotten really behind because of some things that happened this year -- as you may have noticed from my recently erratic blogging habits -- so I'm going to take a step back and do some catching up.

What's in your mailbox this week?

12 comments:

DforDarla said...

In Honor sounds really good. Great IMM this week!

Tiffany said...

Great books! In Honor sounds so good :)

Lauren M said...

Ahh, IN HONOR! I'm eager to read that one; I loved Moonglass, too! :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Jessi Kirby's sophomore novel.

Melina said...

I cannot wait to read IN HONOR!! YAY for you.

Here is a link to my mailbox too

http://www.readingvacation.net/2011/12/in-my-mailbox-68.html

kimba88 said...

I like the sound of In Honor..looking forward to your review

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

In Honor and Halflings both sound great. I hope that you enjoy your new books. Have fun!

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I can't wait for In Honor to release. I'm all kinds of excited for that book. Now I can't wait to read what you'll think of it :)

Midnight Bloom said...

I'm looking forward to reading In Honor. I always enjoy books with road trips! Happy reading! :)

Carmel @ Rabid Reads said...

I can't wait to read Halflings it sounds good! Enjoy your books!

My IMM

Laura Ashlee said...

I haven't heard of either of these. Thanks for pointing them out!

Amanda said...

In Honor sounds amazing! I love road trip novels. Definitely adding it to my TBR. Can't wait to see what you think of it!


Here's my IMM: http://amandalynsbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/in-my-mailbox-no-7.html

caffeinejunkie said...

You got some cool books! Never Enough sounds like it will be full of drama. My IMM

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails