Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best I Read 2011: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Over the next few days (the last of 2011) I'll be posting my top ten favorite reads of the year, in no particular order. They're not necessarily books released in 2011 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. Feel free to share your own favorites -- I'm always looking for a good recommendation!



Release Date: September 27, 2011
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

MY REVIEW

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

First Line:
The ornate script on the board twisted in the candlelight, making the letters and numbers dance in my head.


Why It Was The Best: This is one of those books where you never see any of the twists coming -- and it has a lot of twists. Mara Dyer kept me on the edge of my seat from page one, and completely blindsided me with the final reveal. Not only is it dark and mysterious, it's also hilarious and sexy. Mara's snark is nonstop, and her flirtatious banter with British heartthrob Noah Shaw is the best I've ever read. You saw the part about the "British heartthrob", right? He's scruffy and sarcastic, but also sweet and smoldering. Definitely the most to-die-for hero on the shelves. This book is one-of-a-kind and defies categorization. It's hard to take me by surprise anymore, but I'm still reeling from this one. If I don't get that sequel in my hands soon, I'm going to die of anticipation.

I think the trailer pretty much sums it up:



0 comments:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails