Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Best I Read 2011: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson


Over the next few days (the last of 2011) I'll be posting my top ten favorite reads of the year, in no particular order. They're not necessarily books released in 2011 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. Feel free to share your own favorites -- I'm always looking for a good recommendation!



Release Date: September 29, 2011
Series: Shades of London #1
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble


The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

First Line:
The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins.


Why It Was The Best: Maureen Johnson hits the nail on the head with an improbable blend of humor and horror. The sharp wit of the main character Rory kept me in stitches the entire time I was reading, even when I was on the edge of my seat with the suspense of the sensational killings. Jack the Ripper has always been a fascination of mine -- as he has for many people, apparently -- and the concept of something even more terrifying than the Ripper himself is brilliant. This book has something for everyone, and it was the most fun I've had reading a book all year.


3 comments:

Lindsi said...

I STILL need to read this! Ugh. I am so, so behind on all of the books I want to read. *cries*

lisa [the nerd] said...

JUST got this book on audio today! i am stoked!

Nancy Kelley said...

This book is on my shelf, to be read in the next two weeks so I can give it back to my friend. I'm having a hard time psyching myself up for the horror aspect though--I get nightmares really, really easily.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails