Thursday, December 29, 2011

Best I Read 2011: Graceling by Kristin Cashore


Over the next few days (the last of 2011) I'll be posting my top ten favorite reads of the year, in no particular order. They're not necessarily books released in 2011 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. Feel free to share your own favorites -- I'm always looking for a good recommendation!



Release Date: October 1, 2008
Series: Seven Kingdoms #1
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.


First Line: 
In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.


Why It Was The Best: I don't usually do high fantasy, but Katsa sounded too amazing to pass up. I'm so glad I listened to all the rave reviews, because this book is solely responsible for getting me into the genre. This is one of those books that was so amazing that I've put off reviewing it because I know my words can't do it justice. Katsa is right up there with Katniss Everdeen as one of my all-time favorite heroines. She's so fierce! I love a heroine who can hold her own in any situation, and that is definitely Katsa. This book was exciting and funny and full of adventure -- I didn't want to put it down! But I do want to be Katsa. Girl power, baby.

2 comments:

Nancy Kelley said...

YES! I loved Graceling--it's one of my all-time faves. In fact, I read Divergent because another blogger commented that she loved it as much as she did Graceling... so there you go.

Have you read the sequel, Fire? I skimmed through it, but it didn't grab me on the first read. I might need to give it another chance though.

lisa [the nerd] said...

GRACELINGGGGGGGGG

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails