Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Best I Read 2011: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Over the next few days (the last of 2011) I'll be posting my top ten favorite reads of the year, in no particular order. They're not necessarily books released in 2011 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. Feel free to share your own favorites -- I'm always looking for a good recommendation!



Release Date: September 27, 2011
Series: Trilogy TBA
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

MY REVIEW

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

First Line:
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.


Why It Was The Best: This book is gorgeous. The writing is lyrical, the world-building is breathtaking, the story is original and the plot exciting. Honestly, there's nothing more you could ask for -- it is a masterpiece, a work of art. I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who read this book and didn't fall head-over-heels in love. Karou is quirky and bizarre and brilliant and fierce, the love interest smolders and the truth will keep you guessing. Plus, there's this:

Tell me you aren't intrigued.

Preview the first fourteen chapters here.

3 comments:

Danny said...

Oh I soooo agree with you!! I absolutely LOVEd and adored this book and can't freaking wait for the next one.

I especially loved the small chapter beginnings with the feathers - just like the one you added... Soo amazing!

Ria said...

I recently got a copy of this book and I can't even say how excited I am to be able to read it. I've heard amazing reviews about it, and now all that remains is to find the time to start it. :)

Rummanah Aasi said...

YES!! Definitely my favorite for this year for sure. Can't wait for Round 2. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails