Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I'd Love to Host at my Thanksgiving Feast

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I'm going to think of this as "authors for whom I'm thankful," in no particular order.


1. Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games is my all-time favorite series, and I think her genius is unparalleled. She's given YA readers everywhere a strong, vibrant, resilient heroine to admire -- and that's something we could use a lot more of.

2. Laini Taylor: Her world-building and storytelling are spectacular. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is also one of my favorite reads, featuring another fabulous heroine. There's something magical about Laini's writing, and our world can always use a little more magic.

3. J.K. Rowling: Speaking of magic, right? I think she holds the credit for getting me into the fantasy genre, and giving my reading a voracious drive. I was always a reader, but it was sort of aimless and listless, until J.K. Rowling introduced me to a whole new world with her magical series.

4. Stephenie Meyer: Don't roll your eyes. It's been a couple years now since I've read Twilight, and I have no idea how I would feel about it now, but Stephenie Meyer holds all the credit for getting me into the YA genre -- which, as you can see, is where I live now. She also taught me a lot about the kind of characters who can get inside your head and make you love them and hate them and debate them and want to know more about them even after you've turned the final page.

5. Maggie Stiefvater: Both the Shiver series and The Scorpio Races are gorgeous feats of lyricism and storytelling. She's another writer who can make you believe her characters are living, breathing human beings -- and that's something that invests you in a story like nothing else can. Her beautiful, lyrical prose has inspired me to be a better writer.

6. Franny Billingsley: Speaking of incredible writing, Franny Billingsley is the master of wordsmithing. Her style is unlike anything I've ever read before, and that's a pretty rare feat. It's truly inspiring to see someone command her language like that, and it encourages readers and writers to think outside the box.

7. Kody Keplinger: Kody is young and talented and fearless. She uses not only her books but her blog to take a stand on the issues that plague our community and society as whole. I really admire her honesty and class and bravery, and most of all her willingness to intelligently tackle issues that scare off even the most indomitable veteran.

Eep!
8. Sarah Dessen: Each of her books holds something for someone. It doesn't matter if the topic seems so far from my life that I need a telescope to see it properly, somewhere within its pages will be words of wisdom I needed to hear -- whether I knew it or not. She's also the sweetest, most down-to-earth superstar you will ever meet. I met her at BEA and she seemed just like the girl-next-door, which probably inspires that relatability in all of her heroines.

9. Julie Kagawa: Julie is awesome, basically. She's fierce and fearless (rumor has it she wields a mean nunchuck), and writes fabulous novels. I was a huge fangirl when I first started blogging (still am, obviously) and I asked if she might do an interview -- never expecting even an acknowledgement of my existence -- when, much to my surprise, she said sure (this was me: O_O). That was my first realization of what an amazing community the YA blogosphere is. YA authors are accessible like no other, and are always willing to make their biggest fan's day. She also introduced me to the fey, which are now my favorite supernatural creatures -- and about which I'm writing my NaNoWriMo novel!

10. Michelle Hodkin: Obviously. You wanna talk about accessible authors? Michelle is the best. She tries to respond to every tweet and email and tumblr question even when the task is daunting, if not impossible. I have no idea how this happened, but I was fangirling out over Mara Dyer before it even had a cover and now we talk on a pretty regular basis. No Thanksgiving author fest would be complete without her.


What authors would be at your Thanksgiving author fest? What about them makes you thankful?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

15 comments:

Sophia said...

Ooh, Suzanne Collins and Michelle Hodkin are good authors that I forgot about! Awesome list :)

Sophia
My Top Ten :)

Sarah (The Book Life) said...

Aww, Stephenie Meyer, I forgot to add her. I owe a lot of my reading now to her, too! Michelle Hodkin is a great one, I am always seeing her talking to people on twitter. So sweet!

My Top Ten

Tanya Patrice said...

Your list is pretty darn sweet I love all those authors - and how cool it is that some authors are being more open and accessible to fans :-)

1girl2manybooks said...

A big yes to pretty much everyone on your list!

Jan von Harz said...

I love your list and would have to add Laurie Halse Anderson to mine as I just think she is an amazing YA author whose books all speak (no pun intended) to the audience she writes for.

diaryofadomesticgoddess said...

I love Rowling's work, but hate Meyers', so she wouldn't be coming to my dinner - LOL!
Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

Lori said...

Your list is made of complete awesome!! We have some similar guests, so I must say that you have great taste. ;)

Happy early Thanksgiving!

My Top Ten Tuesday

YA Book Queen said...

You met Sarah Dessen!! So cool,

Great top ten list, Casey!

Allison said...

ooo, Franny Billingsley is a great choice! Her writing style definitely is original, I'd love to have a chance to 'see' inside her head.

Jaime Morrow said...

This is a really great list :) I'd love to be at this dinner party!

Here's mine: J’aime

Asheley (@BookwormAsheley) said...

I've seen several people talk about how nice and accessible Michelle Hodkin is on their lists today. That is really awesome and speaks volumes about her as a person!

Great list!

Alexa said...

We both have JK Rowling and Maggie Stiefvater on our lists this week. I think they'd make fantastic dinner guests!

And I can't believe I forgot Suzanne Collins! I did love the Hunger Games.

Stephalicious said...

You have the best one yet! Suzanne Collins and J.K. Rowling are definitely must because HP made me the reader I am today.. And although she not the best author Sephenie Meyer because I have read and reread Twilight more than I would like to admit... Lol

lisa [the nerd] said...

let's just admit it. Sarah Dessen is rad and super down to earth. she'd probably show up at Thanksgiving with a homemade pecan pie or some shiz and it'd be the best thing ever.

Erica said...

I love so many of these authors :) Love your list.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails