Monday, November 7, 2011

Character Interview: Trevor from Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic





Coming January 17, 2012!

Preorder | Add it on Goodreads

Austin Parker is on a journey to bring truth, beauty, and meaning to his life.

Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. The doctors say his chances of surviving are slim to none even with treatment, so he’s decided it’s time to let go.

But before he goes, Austin wants to mend the broken fences in his life. So with the help of his best friend, Kaylee, Austin visits every person in his life who touched him in a special way. He journeys to places he’s loved and those he’s never seen. And what starts as a way to say goodbye turns into a personal journey that brings love, acceptance, and meaning to Austin’s life.



Today, one of Austin's friends, Trevor, is stopping by to tell us a little bit about himself, Austin, and what it's like to have a twin sister.


What's your favorite memory of Austin?

I don’t have a favorite really, just many fond ones, mostly related to music—that’s what brought us together. We sit around sometimes searching Youtube, sharing the cool bands we’d discovered. We kind of try to one up each other to see who’d found the best one. We’d been to some shows together, The Shins, Death Cab, Black Keyes, those were good times. When it’s just me and him, it’s really laid back. There’s no pressure, no expectations; just us and the music.


How are you coping with his illness?

It’s hard. And he doesn’t make it any easier by joking about it all the time. That just makes everyone uncomfortable. But that’s Austin, a jokester til the very end. I still keep holding out hope that he’ll go into remission, but I’m preparing myself. I’ll have to stay strong for Suz. She’ll be a basket case. Music gets me through though, and it will help me honor his memory when, I mean, if, he dies.


Some people initially misinterpret your shyness as arrogance. Has this ever caused you a serious problem? Is it something you're trying to overcome? How?

Oh yeah, it’s caused problems. People think because I don’t talk to them that I’m a snob. The jocks, they used to say shit to me, shove me around. And I’m small, so I couldn’t really do anything about it, so I just took it. I’ve been shoved in lockers, thrown in dumpsters, been called names, shoved down stairs. But I wanted them to know they didn’t scare me. I stood my ground, never ran or hid, I’d come out of it bruised or smellin’ like stink, but I didn’t come out of it a coward.

That all changed when I met Austin though. Austin was big, and he’s friendly with Kyle, who’s massive, and once I started hanging out with them, it all stopped. I think the jocks still think I’m a dick, but they don’t bother me anymore. I’ve tried to be more of an extrovert, but it’s hard with people I don’t know very well. Once I hang out with someone for a while, I come out of my shell.


What would be your advice to teens who are struggling with who they are?

I would say don’t let anyone make you feel bad for who or what you are. It’s none of their business. Just be true to yourself. Your real friends won’t even see your color, your culture, your sexual orientation, or whatever. They’ll just see you. Those who don’t, don’t matter.


Do you like having a twin sister? What's the best part? What's the hardest?

Oh man—Suz. I love Suz, I really do, but she can be a total pain in my ass. She’s always pretending to be something she’s not to impress people. She thinks guys like stupid, so she acts like an airhead. She would kill me if I told anyone the girl brings home a 4.0 just about every report card. I hate standing by while she plays a part.

Sometimes I hate that she’s always there. There are times that I just want to hang out with the guys, but she’s always got to put on a show, especially when Austin’s around. She is so into him.

What annoys me, is that everyone expects us to be exactly alike, like we’re the same person or something, when really we’re two unique people with different tastes, different personalities, and in truth, aside from looking the same, Suz and I are nothing alike.

The best part? There’s some crazy weird shit, like sometimes we finish each other’s sentences. Or sometimes we know what the other is thinking. When one of us hurts, the other can sense it. But the best part hands down, is that I know no matter what happens in life, who comes and goes, she will always be there for me.


Thanks for stopping by and talking with us so candidly, Trevor!


For more about Megan Bostic, please visit:




Megan (that’s with a long “e”) Bostic is a mere human trying to find her place in the universe and an all-around great girl. Despite the rain and gray (she’s truly solar powered) making her extremely angsty, she’s lived in the Pacific Northwest her whole life, and still does, with her two crazy beautiful girls.

She thrives on the challenges faced in her journey to publication and has documented it vlog style. You can find her Chronicles of an Aspiring Writer on Youtube.

Her writing process she lovingly calls “organized chaos”. She writes on her laptop at the kitchen table next to the sliding glass door so she can absorb as much sun as she can. The “organized” part of the process mostly takes place in her head and involves the beginning and the end of her work in progress. The “chaos” part is pretty much how she sits down and writes with reckless abandon, not stopping to fix, revise, edit, or even breathe until she’s done.

When not writing, Megan is usually chauffeuring her teenage daughters and their friends, watching her girls play soccer, watching movies and TV shows on Netflix, hanging out with friends, spending time at the ocean, or walking the Narrows Bridge.

Megan loves the color black, monkeys, and is a notorious Facebook addict. She’s a proud member of The Class of 2K12 and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. You can also find her on Twitter,Goodreads, Jacketflap, and anywhere else cool authors hang out.

(isn’t it awkward when people talk about themselves in third person?)

1 comments:

Lauren M said...

Haha, I've had the same issue with people misinterpreting my quietness for snobbiness! People never targeted me because of it, though. Usually after talking to me they change their minds.
Thanks for stopping by, Trevor! :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails