Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Character Interview: Harper from Saving June by Hannah Harrington




Coming November 22, 2011!

Preorder | Add it on Goodreads

‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again.


Today, Harper is stopping by to tell us about her sister, her dreams, and her favorite road trip destinations.


What's your favorite memory of your sister?

When I was eight, this mean girl in my art class named Megan spilled red paint on me on purpose (and I was wearing my favorite shirt too, to make matters worse), so I threw a brush at her face in retaliation. We both got sent to the office. Neither of my parents could come pick me up, and I wouldn't stop crying, so they called June out of class to come see me. Somehow she wrangled a sweater from a friend of hers, helped me change into clean clothes, and didn't mock me once for crying. She even walked me to class, gave me the fruit snack our mom had packed for her lunch which she knew were my favorite, and said something-- I don't remember what-- to make me laugh. She was so sweet about it and so calm, and I just remember feeling really, really happy to have her as my older sister in that moment.


June's dream was California. What's yours? Do you think you'll try harder to achieve it after everything that's happened?

I'm not sure yet if it's exactly what I want to do with my life, but more and more I think I want to do something with photography. I'm most comfortable behind a camera, and it's what I really love. Before all of this, I didn't have much confidence in the idea. I'm still not all that confident, but I've learned it's better to go after what you want even if you fail at it than to never take the chance.


In your opinion, what are the top 3 must-see road trip stops? Why?

I've really only been on the one road trip, and my three favorite stops along the way were Fridgehenge, the jazz club in St. Louis, and the beach in Huntington Beach. Fridgehenge because I've never seen anything like it and it was beautiful to take pictures of; the jazz club in St. Louis because the music was great and it was the first time I think I really enjoyed myself on the trip; the beach because it was my first time seeing the Pacific Ocean, and I'll never forget it.


You and Laney seem so different. How did you guys become best friends?

Laney and I first became friends when we were seated next to each other in class alphabetically-- Scott and Sterling. We've always been pretty different, but somehow we just clicked right off the bat. I think the fact that neither of us were interested in the social acrobatics and hierarchy of public school helped us stick it out. No one knows me better than she does.


What would be your advice to a teen considering suicide?

Talk to someone. Anyone. There is always someone out there who will listen.


Thanks for stopping by, Harper!


For more about Hannah Harrington, please visit:





Hannah Harrington resides in Michigan with one dog and too many cats. When she isn't busy writing like a crazy person, she enjoys arguing about politics, watching documentaries, playing guitar (very badly) and speaking about herself in the third person. You can find her online at www.hannahharrington.com.







I will also be reviewing Saving June next Tuesday (November 15) as part of the Teen Book Scene tour! Here's a preview: I LOVED it!

3 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

I love reading character interviews and while I am not a huge fan of sister relationship books Saving June sounds like a book I will be making the exception with. Anxious to read your review.

Lauren M said...

Okay, that memory with June is so touching! I definitely need to get my hands on this book. It sounds fantastic! Thanks for the character interview! :)

Ashley Suzanne said...

Thanks for participating in the tour and for giving a great look into Harper's life.

Also don't forget that I am gearing up for my 21st Birthday Bash over at Ashley Suzanne! Nov 12-14th! I am now having a prize pack giveaway for those who donate toward shipping costs!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails