Saturday, October 1, 2011

In My Mailbox: September 26 - October 2, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


Review:


Crave by Melissa Darnell

Thanks to HarlequinTeen and NetGalley!

Coming October 25, 2011!

Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.

For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences….


Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey

Thanks to Penguin Young Readers Group!

Coming January 5, 2012!

Wilde Island is in an uproar after the recent death of its king. The uneasy pact between dragons, fairies, and humans is fraying, and a bloodthirsty witch hunter with a hidden agenda whips villages into frenzies with wild accusations. Tess, a blacksmith’s daughter from a tiny hamlet near the mysterious Dragonswood, finds herself caught in the crosshairs of fate when she is accused of witchery and has to flee for her life along with her two best friends.

Not even Tess’s power to see the future can help the girls as they set off on their desperate journey, but she keeps having visions of a man wielding a sword. And when she finally meets him, Tess has no idea how to handle the magnetic attraction she feels for him, or the elusive call she hears from the heart of the Dragonswood.

In this epic romance, an ancient prophecy comes true in a way neither dragon, fairy, nor human would have predicted.


Tempest by Julie Cross

Thanks to St. Martin's Griffin and NetGalley!

Coming January 3, 2012!

The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


Hunted by Cheryl Rainfield

Thanks to Cheryl!

Coming October 27, 2011!

Caitlyn, a telepath, lives in a world where all paranormal talents are illegal. She is on the run from government ParaTroopers. When Caitlyn falls for Alex, a Normal, and discovers dangerous renegade Paranormals, she must choose between staying in hiding to protect herself or taking a stand to save the world.


The Haunting of Twentieth-Century America by William J. Birnes and Joel Martin

Thanks to Tor/Forge!

In this sequel to The Haunting of America, national bestselling authors Joel Martin and William J. Birnes bring up to the present the story of how paranormal events influenced and sometimes even drove political events. In unearthing the roots of America’s fascination with the ghosts, goblins, and demons that possess our imaginations and nightmares, Martin and Birnes show how the paranormal has driven America’s political, public, and militarypolicies. The authors examine the social history of the United States through the lens of the paranormal and investigate the spiritual events that inspired momentous national decisions: UFOs that frightened the nation’s military into launching nuclear bomber squadrons toward the Soviet Union, out-of-body experiences used to gather sensitive intelligence on other countries, and even spirits summoned to communicate with living politicians.

The Haunting of Twentieth-Century America is a thrilling evidencebased exploration of the often unexpected influences of the paranormal on science, medicine, law, the government, the military, psychology, theology, death and dying, spirituality, and pop culture.


Bought:


Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

In this companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss, two teens discover that true love may be closer than they think

For budding costume designer Lola Nolan, the more outrageous, the outfit - more sparkly, more fun, more wild - the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins move back into the house next door.

When the family returns and Cricket - a gifted inventor and engineer - steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Thanks to Ashley at Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for the recommendation!

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate Club.
Her father’s “bunny rabbit.”
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Laundau-Banks.
No longer the kind of girl to take “no” for an answer.
Especially when “no” means she’s excluded from her boyfriend’s all-male secret society.
Not when her ex boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places.
Not when she knows she’s smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew’s lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.

This is the story of how she got that way.


Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Thanks to Ashley at Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for the recommendation!

High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background—average student, average looks, average dysfunctional family. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn’t believe. His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his father’s boss’s daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy—and Tyler’s secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in the school, in his family, and in the world.

In Twisted, the acclaimed Laurie Halse Anderson tackles a very controversial subject: what it means to be a man today. Fans and new readers alike will be captured by Tyler’s pitchperfect, funny voice, the surprising narrative arc, and the thoughtful moral dilemmas that are at the heart of all of the author’s award-winning, widely read work.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

My Review

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.


Borrowed:


The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Who, you might ask, is Henrietta Lacks (1920-1951) and why is she the subject of a book? On the surface, this short-lived African American Virginian seems an unlikely candidate for immortality. In truth, we all owe Ms. Lacks a great debt and some of us owe her our lives. As Rebecca Skloot tells us in this riveting human story, Henrietta was the involuntary donor of cells from her cancerous tumors that have been cultured to create an immortal cell line for medical research. These so-called HeLa cells have not only generated billions of dollars for the medical industry; they have helped uncover secrets of cancers, viruses, fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping. A vivid, exciting story; a 2010 Discover Great New Books finalist; a surprise bestseller in hardcover. Now in paperback and NOOKbook.


So after a long discussion about contemporary recommendations with Ashley on Twitter, I couldn't resist buying Twisted and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. I had actually been contemplating Frankie just the other day (seriously, I think it was Wednesday)! Ashley pretty much sealed the deal on that one. It sounds like a really smart and funny book. I think I've said this about a thousand times lately, but I am on a serious contemporary kick right now. One of my friends has been talking about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for AGES, but I didn't really understand what it was about until I saw it on someone's blog this week (and I've completely forgotten whose -- I'm sorry!) and now I'm really intrigued! Also, LOLA! And MARA! I've already read Mara, but it was so fabulous I had to buy it again =) And apparently the finished copy is a little different than the ARC! Intrigue.

What's in your mailbox this week? I'm assuming Lola -- have you read it yet?

19 comments:

Sophia said...

Awesome, awesome mailbox this week!! I have Crave as well, so I'm excited for that one. (And Tempest was on NetGalley? WHAT? :o )

I think I'm the ONLY person on the planet who has yet to read Anna and the French Kiss... I should really read that soon, before I pick up Lola.

Ashley is so right about The Disreputable History! It's great; I loved it. :)

I haven't read anything by Laurie Halse Anderson, and I think I should be punished for doing so. I really want to read at least one of her books. Twisted sounds really awesome!

Henrietta Lacks... My English teacher told us about that book. And when my English teacher tells me about a book, I usually just tune it out. Maybe I should start listening to his book recommendations!

Happy reading! :)

LIndsey said...

These are some great titles! I'm especially looking forward to reading Tempest. I only recently picked up a copy of Anna and the French Kiss after having everyone recommend it to me, so hopefully soon I'll also be able to pick up a copy of Lola! I'm looking forward to your reviews for these books :)

My IMM can be found here!

danya said...

Hope you enjoy LOLA!! I have to get my hands on that one soon :D

Hafsah said...

I love the cover of TWISTED.
DRAGONSWOOD is on my wishlist, I LOVE that cover!

Kristina said...

I won Dragonswood from Library thing I can't wait till I get my copy of it. I was sad I didn't win Tempest, that one looks so good as well.

Michelle @ Book Briefs said...

Oh man I want Lola and Mara Dyer soo bad!! Great books this week.

Old Follower. :)

My IMM- Book Briefs

-Michelle

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

OMG Lola, Mara, and Tempest! All on the top of my TBR list. I can't wait to get my hands on Mara and I look forward to reading you're reviews.

Check out my post at:
http://seeitorreadit.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-1.html

fivealarmbookreviews.com said...

We have a few in common. Dragonswood has been on my radar. I look forward to seeing what you think of your books but especially The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I really loved it. Happy reading. My IMM

Lisa said...

Lola and the Boy Next Door, and The Becoming of Mara Dyer haven't received one bad review or comment yet! Everyone's blog I follow loves them, and has nothing but good things to say!

I can't wait to finally get my hands on either one(:

Enjoy your new books!

Lisa
http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-27.html

Goldilox said...

Ooh The Tempest! Lucky you. I love the idea for that book!

Here's my IMM: Goldilox and the Three Weres IMM

Goldilox

Jessica Lawlor said...

LOLA and MARA...fab week! I am reading Lola now but still need to grab a copy of Mara.

Amanda Welling said...

Really awesome IMM this week! Enjoy all of your new books and have a great weekend!

Stop by and see my IMM & enter in my two new giveaways. I'm giving away 12 books and a swag pack!

Amanda
Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

Some of these books I've heard of (I got Tempest, too, YAYS!) and some are new to me. They ALL look awesome. Happy reading.

My IMM

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I had to buy a finished copy of Mara Dyer too. Just love that book so much :)

I enjoyed Crave a bunch and hope you'll like it!

justalillost.com said...

Amazing books this week! Dying to read Lola and Mara Dyer.. and that "The Haunting of.." book sounds really interesting too.. I love that stuff!

Michele | My IMM

Giselle said...

Oh wow amazing haul this week! MOst of these are on my TBR list as well. I can't wait to get into Mara Dyer - which I got on my IMM too. And Lola is also high on my list to read asap!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads
P.S. I've also got a new giveaway on my blog for Remembrance if you want to enter.

Scarlett said...

wow, awesome haul!! I can't wait to see what you think of drangonswood and I really really need to get my hands on a copy of lola and the boy next door!

Here's my IMM!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Some great new books here. :) Hope you enjoy them all and have an outstanding week!

Mismikado said...

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart is a great book! And Twisted is pretty interesting too! Looks like you had a great grab this week :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails