Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!



The Gathering Storm (Katerina Trilogy #1) by Robin Bridges
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Preorder: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.

An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.

The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?


I'm really intrigued by this one for several reasons. First of all, this is the first YA I remember seeing set in Russia! I've allllllllways been fascinated by the tsars. Probably because of the Romanovs -- and this is set just before Nicholas II's ill-fated reign. The aristocracy of any country is always a fascinating bunch. Plus, she's a necromancer? Who can save Russia with her necromancy? I'm curious as to how that will play out. And of course she's got two dashing princes to choose between. There's just something about a prince...

Can you think of any YA novels set in Russia? What are you waiting on this week?

21 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

this one was my pick a few weeks ago, it looks awesome!

Mocha ღ Latte said...

I'm also looking forward to this one as well. Great pick!

My W.O.W: http://mochalattereads.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday23.html

June G said...

She raises the dead? Sounds very creepy. Maybe she should let "sleeping dogs lie!" Love that cover. Caught my eye right away. This is a really fresh choice. Thanks for the tip!

Stephanie (PoetrytoProse.com) said...

Awesome pick! It sounds great and I love the unique setting. I'm sure it will be a refreshing read when we get our hands on it! :D

Michael/Bookshelf Reviewer said...

Good pick. Sounds like a great book with an intersting plot that has some history added in. =]
Here is My WoW for this week. =]

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

This one has been on my list for some time! I love the cover and the fact that the story is set in Russia.I also find the fact that it's set in 1881 interesting!

Feel free to check out my WOW


Krazzyme @Young Readers

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

Oh this sounds like a very interesting read! For some reason it reminds me of The Girl In The Steel Corset, I don't know why. But great pick! :)

Check out my WoW picks!

Jan von Harz said...

Sounds fantastic. I love the setting too and am excited with the historical aspect. Great pick!

Christina T said...

I'd seen this cover around and thought it had something to do with Anastasia (a popular YA historical fiction topic) but I'm glad to see I'm wrong. I will be adding this to my TBR list. I hope there is a lot of Russian history mixed in with the supernatural and the romance. Fantastic pick!

Kristina said...

I love Russian history and this book sounds great. Thanks for posting :)

DJ D. said...

This one sounds really good and I look forward to reading it. Hopefully the historical aspect won't bog down the plot. Like you, though, I've always been interested in the Russian royalty. :-)

fivealarmbookreviews.com said...

I love the different setting. I look forward to checking it out.

Boriquaz said...

That looks like a really great book. Here's my WOW.

Emma said...

This one looks great. I am looking for a good historical YA book.

Check out my WOW here.

Emma @ LostinaYAbook

Manda said...

Wow, this looks great! Very unique. Although I don't know how many times I've seen the phrase "inexplicably drawn" in YA blurbs.

storyseekers said...

I would check this out, just by the cover. The summary does sound good though. Great WoW!

Here's ours:
http://thestoryseekers.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday-06.html#comments

Alice @ The Story Seekers

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great cover, must add this one to my list.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Jenna (JL @ An Avid Reader's Musings) said...

I really want to read this! Great choice.
My WoW is SWEAR.

Dani @ Refracted Light said...

I'm super excited about this one as well. There are not enough YA historical/period books :)

As for YA's that are set in Russia, the fourth book in Vampire Academy takes place largely in Russia, and that book Dreaming Anastasia deals with the Romanovs and Baba Yaga.

My WoW

Mimi Valentine said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds so cool! I adore the cover, the blurb, and the name Katerina -- so basically everything about it! I'm definitely going to pick this one up when it comes out! :)

Awesome pick for your WOW, Casey! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Maria Behar said...

Hi, Casey, and thanks for commenting on my WOW!!

I think this is an INCREDIBLY AWESOME pick you have here!! I agree -- it's highly unusual to see any YA novels set in Russia, so I'm very, very intrigued by this one. And I share your fascination with the tsars, especially the Romanovs! I'm SO glad you've featured this book, because I'm definitely putting it in my TBR pile!! Gotta keep my eyes peeled in January!!!

Thanks for featuring this one!! : )

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails