Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!



The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Release Date: February 21, 2012
Publisher: Dial
Preorder: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

"Inventive, gorgeous, funny and yes . . . heartbreaking. You will absolutely love this book." — Lauren Oliver, New York Times bestselling author of Before I Fall and Delirium.


This book sounds quirky, tongue-in-cheek and irreverent -- the trifecta ;) It's hard to do an afterlife story in a unique way with so many out there, but it sounds like this debut author succeeds. I love that she literally dies of a broken heart; it's so satiric. I also love the idea that the dead are the ones who must go through the 5 stages of grief -- it's definitely a different twist. Plus, her best friend is hiding things about the boy who "killed" her? And there are Lost Soul trail guides for the afterlife? This just sounds like such a fun, sweet read. And, according to Lauren Oliver, "heartbreaking"? You can definitely count me in.

Are you excited for this one? What are you waiting on this week?

22 comments:

mfay2 said...

This one reminds me of If I Stay. The whole "seeing the family and around her when she's dead" thing but that's where the similarities end. Heartbreaking? Huh. Interesting!

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

I picked this one for this weeks wow as well.

Sash and Em said...

Did this one last week!! SO PUMPED about it!!!

Here's our WoW.

Kyanara_night said...

sounds like an interesting book.
Have a great day!!
Kyanara from Laced Little Muffin's reading Corner

Jan von Harz said...

Definitely has a different twist on the Afterlife. Could be very sad, but also as you said quirky and satiric.

Christina T said...

Fantastic pick! I will have to add this to my TBR list.

Jessica Lawlor said...

Haha, I was totally sold by the Lauren Oliver blurb too! Love her, so if she endorses this book, I'm all over it. Can't wait for this one!

Sagacity Quest said...

So excited about this one!
My WoW:
http://thesagacityquest.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday-3.html

Giselle said...

This does sound very good. I just saw it for the first time today on another WoW. Great pick!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads
Don't forget to enter my giveaway for an ARC of Legend ;)

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

This sounds REALLY good!
I love the concept of dealing with grief in the afterlife.

Feel free to check out my WOW(pssst... there's a giveaway too!)


Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Pixie said...

Ohh this one sounds interesting, I am definitely adding it to my list.

Here is our WoW.

Christina / Book Addict said...

This was my pick this week as well. I can't wait for this book. I love the premise and I hope it lives up to the hype!

ashelynn hetland said...

ahhh, am so, SO excited for this book! it sounds like the type of book I would love. And I love the new cover.

My WOW.

Anna said...

Is it wrong that I mostly want to read this book because it is set in Half-Moon bay? Because that's right by me :) And books set near me are always exciting :) I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now, it sounds awesome!

My WoW

Lindsi said...

Ohhh, interesting! I just added it to my TBR pile on Goodreads :-)

Melliane said...

The cover is so cute ! I'm curious about this book ! Thanks for sharing

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

looks like this has a new cover since i picked it as my wow! i like it!

Marie said...

Ooh, this sounds good!

And I'm so excited Lola releases tomorrow! FINALlY!! :D

Lea said...

How did I not know about your blog until now?? Haha, OK well I am following you know anyways, and on Twitter too! Love your site :0

And I have not heard of this book yet either-- I agree, it sounds like it has a quirky kind of story, I just added it to my TBR pile on Goodreads! thanks for sharing :D

You can see my WoW post for this week at the link below!

Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

Faye said...

Love the new cover! reading this one for sure (:

fivealarmbookreviews.com said...

Sounds like Brie has some work to do. This book looks looks awesome. Thanks for stopping by.

Book Crook Liza said...

This is definitely going on my wishlist! It sounds cute in a sad way!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails