Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Everyone Has Read But Me


This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish


This week's Top Ten features books that everyone has read -- except for me. I actually had a hard time narrowing this down to ten, and ended up excluding "classics," though there are still an infinite number of those I need to read in my lifetime.


1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: It seems like every is talking about this one lately, and no one has anything but praise. I'm on a contemporary kick right now, so this is definitely high up on my list of books to read ASAP. As in, this weekend.

2. Paper Towns by John Green: This applies to John Green books in general. Everyone seems to have read at least one! I own a couple, but I haven't read them yet. I don't know why!

3. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green: Again, applies to all David Levithan books. I picked up a ton at the library and just never got around to them. I'm ashamed.

4. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: Don't even say it! I know! I just don't want the series to end! Especially since this one has gotten such mixed reviews. I don't want to be disappointed.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: Another one that EVERYONE talks about. It's apparently been formative for a lot of authors? Must read soon.

6. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: Applies to all Neil Gaiman books. I feel like I can't truly call myself an "avid reader" until I've read his work. He's a legend in our own time.

7. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver: This one was a big hit among the YA community, but I just wasn't into contemporary at the time. I loved Delirium though, so I really need to give this one a try.

8. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson: I know, I know. I just have a hard time with this particular issue. It makes me really mad and upset and I haven't been able to get up the nerve to read this one.

9. White Cat by Holly Black: I want to read it, I just never seem to be in the right mood for a mobster/magic book. But I am officially the last person on the planet who hasn't read this one, it seems. Shame on me.

10. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick: I've been kind of put off because I've seen so many negative reviews of this one. The synopsis sounds like my cup of tea, but from what people say about Patch...I'm nervous.



Are there any here you haven't read? Am I all alone?

20 comments:

Bookworm1858 said...

You definitely need to read Before I Fall-it's SO much better than Delirium!

Alison Can Read said...

Lots of must reads! I adored Before I Fall. Very powerful. The Graveyard Book was also excellent. I listened to it on audio and that was a good way to "read" it.

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

We both have Hush Hush, Paper Towns and White Cat on our lists. I haven't read / reviewed any of the others *yet*, though I'm actually just about to open up Will Grayson, Will Grayson. :)

Jessica Spotswood said...

WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON is on my list, too! And I haven't read THE BOOK THIEF or WHITE CAT either. But I own them.

I loved BEFORE I FALL. And THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is beautiful.

Book Crook Liza said...

Out of your list the only ones I've read are Thirteen Reasons Why and Hush, Hush. Thirteen Reasons Why is good, but it was sad. I liked it, but it isn't something I'd read again. I really feel like I need to re-read Hush Hush! I loved the book when I read it and I'm wondering if there was something I didn't pick up the first time around... all the details of the book have sort of slipped my mind by now and I want to re-read and do a character inspection!

My Top 10 Tuesday!

Jan von Harz said...

Paper Towns is amazing I love the audio version. It actually had me laughing out loud driving to work. I still need to read a few others that you have on your list.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

I have read so many great reviews about Thirteen Reasons Why so will hopefully start that one soon.

Christina T said...

I haven't read anything by John Green either (I did read a short story in an anthology but that doesn't really count). I also need to read Thirteen Reasons Why still. I just heard again this past week from a coworker about how wonderful this book is.

I haven't read Will Grayson, Will Grayson but I have read another book by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan that I liked (Dash and Lily's Book of Dares). I also haven't read The Graveyard Book yet though I did read Stardust and thought it was good (I liked the movie more).

I have read Mockingjay, The Book Thief, Speak, and Before I Fall and I thought they were all excellent. I also read Hush, Hush and White Cat. I liked White Cat but haven't read the sequel, Red Glove. I have read the sequel to Hush, Hush and I may read the next book but I am not a big fan of angel fiction.

CPatLarge said...

Nope, not a one of them :-/

My TBR pile just keeps growing...no way I can keep up!

dani_nguyen said...

ZOMG you're missing out! Will Grayson, Will Grayson may be my favorite book of all time. I adore anything David Levithan or John Green. And The Book Thief is amazing! Also, White Cat is wonderful and Red Glove (the sequel) is even better.

GMR said...

You're definitely not all alone here. ^_^ I've read numbers 7 and 10 (both were GREAT by the way), but the others...nope. I'll do you one better....~whispers~ I still haven't read The Hunger Games. Yep. I'm a reading rebel... LOL.

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

I haven't read a lot of these either. I really want to read Before I Fall! It sounds like a good read. :)

April (BooksandWine) said...

I've read all of these except: 1,2, 9, 10.

I've been put off from Hush, Hush for the same reason. I used to feel guilty for not wanting to read it, but don't mind any more. Life's too short.

But omg, read The Book Thief, it is excellent and beautifully written and life affirming and probably one of the BEST YA books out there.

Lauren M said...

What!? You haven't read Mockingjay!? *gasp*
I still need to read Thirteen Reasons Why and The Graveyard Book. Otherwise, I assure you that all the books you listed are fantastic! :) (Except Mockinjay; that was a little disappointing.)

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

As I'm sure you know, Before I Fall is an amazing book! It was my favourite read of 2010. Absolutely fantastic.

Books of Amber

The Book Vixen said...

You gotta read Thirteen Reasons Why, Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Before I Fall. Great books. I also loved Hush, Hush but I wasn't too thrilled with Crescendo. Hope you get to read all these soon :)

Christine Rains said...

You're not alone! I haven't read any of them other than the Suzanna Collins book and I JUST finished that one.

lisa [the nerd] said...

wow - so many contemporary hits on this list! i'm surprised you're able to stay spoiler free.

get reading, lady! :)

Epiphany Renee said...

I haven't even read Tithe so you aren't the only one behind on Holly Black. Tithe is one I forgot to list, thanks for mentioning Holly Black we've both got some catching up to do.

Casey said...

The majority of these are sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails