Saturday, September 24, 2011

In My Mailbox: September 19 - 25, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


For Review:


Red by Kait Nolan

Thanks to Kait Nolan!

Every fairy tale has a dark side...

Elodie Rose has a secret. Any day, she'll become a wolf and succumb to the violence that's cursed her family for centuries. For seventeen years she's hidden who and what she is. But now someone knows the truth and is determined to exterminate her family line. Living on borrowed time in the midst of this dangerous game of hide and seek, the last thing Elodie needs to do is fall in love. But Sawyer is determined to protect her, and the brooding, angry boy is more than what he seems. Can they outsmart a madman? And if they survive, will they find a way to beat the curse for good?


Frail (Dust #2) by Joan Frances Turner

Thanks to Penguin!

Coming October 4, 2011!

Being human is a disadvantage in post-apocalyptic America...

Now that the Feeding Plague has swept through human and zombie societies, it seems like everyone is an "ex" these days. Ex-human. Ex- zombie. Except for Amy, that is. She's the only human survivor from her town-a frail. And if the feral dogs, the flesh-eating exes, and the elements don't get her, she just may discover how this all began. Because in this America, life is what you make it...


Gift:


Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they’re triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful Gorgon maligned in myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.


Dark Souls by Paula Morris

Welcome to York, England.
Mist lingers in the streets.
Narrow buildings cast long shadows.
This is the most haunted city in the world. . . .

Miranda Tennant arrives in York with a terrible, tragic secret. She is eager to lose herself amid the quaint cobblestones, hoping she won't run into the countless ghosts who supposedly roam the city. . . .

Then she meets Nick, an intense, dark-eyed boy who knows all of York's hidden places and histories. Miranda wonders if Nick is falling for her, but she is distracted by another boy -- one even more handsome and mysterious than Nick. He lives in the house across from Miranda and seems desperate to send her some sort of message. Could this boy be one of York's haunted souls?

Soon, Miranda realizes that something dangerous -- and deadly -- is being planned. And she may have to face the darkest part of herself in order to unravel the mystery -- and find redemption.


I have been DYING to read Sweet Venom ever since it came out earlier this month, but I was waiting to buy it until after my birthday -- and lo and behold, my mom got it for me! She said it literally fell off the shelf onto her foot when she was looking around the bookstore. Fate, y'all. Fate.

What's in your mailbox this week?

15 comments:

Anna said...

Woah, Frail looks awesome!! I'll definitely have to check that one out. I'm always on the lookout for a good Zombie book :)

Jan von Harz said...

Some great books and Sweet Venom is on my list of books to get, but Amy and Rogers Epic Detour was one awesome read. Enjoy!

Sophia said...

Haha, I love how Sweet Venom fell on your mom's foot! I really want to read that one as well. Maybe on my next stop to Barnes, I can arrange it to fall on my mother's foot as well...

Amy & Roger was wonderful! I really loved it, especially because it was a well done road trip. Very fun book.

Red looks great! I love fairy tale books, even if they're dark.

Awesome haul this week! Happy reading :)

Lauren M said...

Yay for Sweet Venom! I love the story of how you got it. :)
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on all of these!

Grace Fonseca said...

Loved Sweet Venom. The rest of those books look awesome. Old Follower. Will Have my IMM post tommoow

Giselle said...

Sweet Venom sounds great I've been looking forward to reading it. Great haul this week!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

KTJ said...

nice haul this week! I can't wait to get my hands on Sweet Venom and Dark Souls!

Happy Reading!

-Kate
my IMM: http://nomaliciousreads.blogspot.com

KM said...

I got SWEET VENOM this week, too! Can't wait to read it :)

Lori said...

I love Amy & Roger so, so much!! It's amazing! I've heard really good things about Dark Souls too. Enjoy all your new books!

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

I really want to read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour! I've heard it's so good!

Books of Amber

chasing empty pavements said...

Nice set of books this week!! I got Dark Souls a couple weeks ago but still haven't cracked it open yet. Looking forward to it though!

My IMM

A Beautiful Madness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoriStrongin said...

I've been seeing Sweet Venom make its rounds of the blogosphere and have read mixed reviews, so I'm eager to see your opinion on it!


Smiles!
Lori

Kristina said...

Oh how I desire and covet Sweet Venom

Happy reading

Rachel said...

Great books, I can't wait to get my hands on Sweet Venom and Dark Souls :)

Have a great week,

Rachel @ Fictional Fantasy

PS - Come and check out my IMM if you get a chance!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails