Saturday, September 17, 2011

In My Mailbox; September 12 - 18, 2011


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


Review:


Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Thanks to HarperCollins/Balzer + Bray!

Coming January 3, 2012!

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


Cross My Heart by Sasha Gould

Thanks to Random House/Delacorte and NetGalley!

Coming March 13, 2012!

Venice, 1585.

When 16-year-old Laura della Scala learns that her older sister, Beatrice, has drowned, she is given no time to grieve. Instead, Laura's father removes her from the convent where he forcibly sent her years earlier and orders her to marry Beatrice's fiancé, a repulsive old merchant named Vincenzo. Panicked, Laura betrays a powerful man to earn her way into the Segreta, a shadowy society of women who deal in only one currency—secrets. The Segreta seems like the answer to Laura's prayers. The day after she joins their ranks, Vincenzo is publicly humiliated and conveniently exiled. Soon, however, Laura begins to suspect that her sister's death was not a tragic accident but a cold-blooded murder—one that might involve the Segreta and the women she has come to trust.


The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Thanks to Random House Children's Books and NetGalley!

Coming January 10, 2012!

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.

An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.

The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?


Bought:



Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star...

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for...and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart. From the New York Times bestselling author of The Luxe comes an epic new series set in the dizzying last summer of the Jazz Age.


I've been eyeballing all of these for a while now -- The Gathering Storm was coincidentally my Waiting on Wednesday pick this week -- so I was totally thrilled to see them on NetGalley! It's always exciting to get a mysterious Harper package as well, and my mom's comment when she opened Everneath for me (I wasn't home) was "It has a pretty cover!" So true. FYI, Bright Young Things is free for Kindle and Nook right now, featuring a preview of the sequel Beautiful Days (coming out on Tuesday)!

What's in your mailbox this week?

16 comments:

Kristina said...

Very nice set of books, I'm still staying away from netgalley, I have so/too many books on my shelves waiting to be read.
I got Bright Young Things last week :)

Happy reading

Lauren M said...

Ahh, I'm definitely jealous of Everneath! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)

Natalia Belikov @ DazzlingReads said...

Your IMM is absolutely stunning!!!
Im drooling over Everneath! I want a dress like that =9

Take my dear ^______^

muah!

She Known As Jess. said...

Everneath. Want. Enough Said. <3

Marie said...

Wow all those covers are stunning :). I hope you'll like those books ! Happy reading !

Rummanah Aasi said...

"Cross my heart" sounds so fascinating! I would request it from Netgalley, however, I'm up to my eyeballs in books to review. I will definitely be back to read your review! Happy Reading!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

the gathering storm looks so good!!

ashelynn hetland said...

jealous! I want Everneath and The Gathering Storm like right now! haha. They both look so good; enjoy! :D

My IMM: http://gypsybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-4.html

Shanon said...

Nice selection! I'm definitely going to check out Everneath, I've never heard anything like it before. Bright Young Things seems to be popping up everywhere so I think I may check that one out as well! Happy reading! =)
My IMM.

-Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

Sarah (The Book Life) said...

So many great books! A lot of people got Everneath this week, I can't wait for that one to come out! I hope you enjoy all of your books :0)

My IMM

Goldilox said...

Everneath sounds really good! You're so lucky to have received an advance copy!!!

Here's mu IMM: Goldilox and the Three Weres IMM

Goldilox (new follower!)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooo, some really great sounding reads here in your mailbox. :) Hope you enjoy them. Have a great week!

Sharon said...

A wonderful Mailbox!

My IMM, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Have a nice week.

Amber said...

I snorted at your usage of the word amazeballs on my comment section, just saying...

You got some amazing things this week. Like you, I love getting a super surprise HarperCollins package in the mail. Hope you enjoy all your reads!

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

Another everneath in someones mailbox. I'm so wanting this book now.

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

I can't wait to read Everneath! I hope it's really awesome. :) You have some great books here! I hope you enjoy them all!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails