Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming February 7, 2012!



The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

When Cameron Post’s parents die suddenly in a car crash, her shocking first thought is relief. Relief she’ll never have to tell them that, hours earlier, she had been kissing a girl.

But that relief soon turns to heartbreak, as Cam is forced to move in with her conservative aunt Ruth. She knows that from this point on, her life will forever be different. Survival in Miles City, Montana, means blending in and not making waves, and Cam becomes an expert at this—especially at avoiding any questions about her sexuality.

Then Coley Taylor moves to town. Beautiful pickup-driving Coley is a perfect cowgirl with the perfect boyfriend to match. To Cam’s surprise, she and Coley become best friends—while Cam secretly dreams of something more. Just as that starts to seem like a real possibility, her secret is exposed. Ultrareligious Aunt Ruth takes drastic action to “fix” her niece, bringing Cam face-to-face with the cost of denying her true self—even if she’s not quite sure who that is.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post is a stunning and unforgettable literary debut about discovering who you are and finding the courage to live life according to your own rules.


This sounds like a sweet read that simultaneously deals with real issues -- her parents death, her sexuality, her aunt's ignorance and horrifying "fix". Cam's aunt sounds so much like a lot of close-minded people I know that I think this book will feel very authentic to me -- and I'm excited to see how it turns out (Cam's got to break down her aunt's ignorance, right?). Also, I could be wrong about this, but I think there seem to be more YA novels about gay boys than girls. Do you think that's true? Maybe it's because gay men have more of a stigma in our society for a whole host of complicated reasons (that's not to say that gay women don't face prejudice too) -- but anyway, I'm glad to see the other side of the coin receiving some YA attention. Also, I just generally love debut authors.

What do you think? What are you waiting on this week?

20 comments:

Aylee said...

Hmm, I think LGBT characters in general definitely need more representation in YA but you're right that lesbians seem to be even more underrepresented than gay men. There often seems to be a gay best male friend in books; rarer to find gay females for sure. Great pick!

Scarlett said...

not sure if this is really my type of book, but I LOVE that cover. I need to sit me down on a ball of hay!

Here’s my WOW!

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

I haven't read much LGBT themed books, but this one just sounds too good I have to read it! Great pick! I just found out about this book a few days ago, and I'm already looking forward to its release!

Check out my WoW picks!

Sharon said...

This book sounds great & I love the cover!

My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-24th-august.html

Jan von Harz said...

This one sounds fantastic. Love the issues the protagonist must deal with. Great pick!

chelleyreads said...

sounds amazing. i'm adding this to my wishlist. great pick :)

Check out our WoW this week.

-Michelle

Greta is Erikasbuddy said...

Very cool!

Paranormal Wastelands' WoW:
http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday_24.html

Lauren M said...

Haha, I can already tell this book will frustrate me--Cam's aunt sounds like a horrible person! Grr. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this as well; I'm excited to see how Cameron's "miseducation" turns out. :P

Kristin said...

This sounds like a good book.
Book Sniffers Anonymous

BookGeek said...

Very cool! I would love to read about the other side of the coin. I agree about the different (but similar) stigmas for gays and lesbians. It's an interesting conundrum. I think this might be a refreshing read in that it deals with more serious issues that other books may shy away from. Great pick.

Bookish Brunette said...

This looks cute!
My Wow Post!

ashelynn hetland said...

This one sounds good! Adding it to my to-read list.

my WOW: http://gypsybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great cover and interesting read.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday_24.html

Tia said...

Great real life book.

My First WoW

LindsayWrites said...

hey!! i follow your blog! :) Great pick!

Hope you'll stop by my blog and let me know what you think of mine! :)

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

Safari Poet said...

Sounds like an emotional read.

My WOW

Sash and Em said...

Love the cover. and the real issues part.

Check out Em's WoW!
Also check out the GREAT GIVEAWAYS we have going on right now.

Kristi The Book Faery said...

Hey Casey!

It sounds fantastic, I haven't been reading much but YA PNR/UF etc...
You'll have to let me know how it is!

Kristi

Midnyte Reader said...

I also agree that LGBT characters should be more prevalent in literature, just as they are prevalent in real life. One of my female gay friends said she too feels that gay males are more present in books. I haven't heard of the above book, but it sounds like it may be an important read to many people.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Thanks for sharing this one. I do hope the book works out wonderfully for you. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails