Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Required Reading for Teens

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


Today's Top Ten Tuesday features books we believe every teen should read. I don't read a lot of "issues" books, so my criteria might be a little eclectic.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: We read this one in high school and it's still one of my favorites. Growing up in the South, it was especially apropos, but I think the messages apply to everyone -- past, present and future.
2. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton: The quintessential coming-of-age story.
3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Does this really need an explanation? The greatest book of all time. OF ALL TIME.
4. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: Again, no explanation necessary. This series has themes I think everyone can learn from, as well as stories to inspire imaginations young and old. If any book is going to create a love of reading, it will be Harry Potter.
5. If I Stay by Gayle Forman: Everyone will be faced with death at some point in their lives, and this story is a poignant, powerful look at not only mortality and loss, but life and moving on.
6. The DUFF by Kody Keplinger: This is the most honest, authentic teen book I've ever read.
7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: Gotta get some classics in there! Exposure is a necessary step toward appreciation. Charlotte Bronte is a must, as is our next lady...
8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: The magnificent Jane Austen. Really, all of her books should be required reading.
9. The Princess Bride by William Goldman: This book has it all, romance and adventure and danger and pirates -- there's something that will appeal to both boys and girls, and we know how hard that is to accomplish nowadays.
10. Anything by Sarah Dessen: All of her books are amazing and honest, and they cover the whole spectrum of teen experience. I guarantee you everyone will find something within the pages of one of her novels. Personal favorites: The Truth About Forever, Just Listen and This Lullaby.






Have you read any of these? Do you think they should be required reading?

15 comments:

Lauren M said...

I completely agree with all of these! To Kill a Mockingbird was definitely one of my faves in high school, too. :)

Let's Evaluate said...

Great choices! A few of ours matched up. [: I could barely limit it to ten, there are so many that I think everyone should read.

Erin @ Let's Evaluate

here's mine: http://letsevaluate.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-10-tuesday-1-books-that-every-teen.html

Stephanie (Books Are A Girl's Best Friend) said...

Oh yes- To Kill A Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice would definitely be on my list. I've got Hunger Games out from the library at the moment and can't wait to start it- I hope it lives up to the hype!

Jan von Harz said...

I thought about Hunger Games but decided for my dystopian to use The Giver instead. Although I think Hunger Games should be on a list of must read for teens too. I also included several other of your choices. I didn't include Jane Eyre, although it is one of my all time favs, but since I doubt it would appeal to the male teen it would be on my list of top ten books all females should read.

hilarygraham said...

Your list is great! I devoured William Goldman in high school, and S.E. Hinton, too. And TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is flat-out one of the best books EVER. About once a month, I find myself bemoaning the fact that Harper Lee didn't give us more. And then I think--she gave us plenty.

Sarah Dessen & Kody Keplinger are also favs of mine and I would have been thrilled to see them on a required list when I was in high school (although I think I probably GRADUATED before Keplinger was even BORN. Sigh.)

NatalieSap said...

Huh, I've seen The DUFF on a few lists already. I've heard of it, sure, but I never really had any interest to read it. Guess I do now!

Jordyn said...

I like your list so much!!! And I'm thrilled to find THE PRINCESS BRIDE on your list, as I almost added it to mine and then decided against it for some crazy reason. :)

My top 10 list this week.

Laura (The Zealous Reader) said...

Great choices! I haven't seen most of yours on other people's lists, including The Princess Bride. I haven't even had a chance to read it yet. *ducks*

Here's mine: http://bit.ly/pjAxpr

Laurie said...

Great list, esp. TKAM (a personal favorite). This is the third time I've seen The DUFF and If I Stay on these lists, so it's time to get it into my TBR queue at the library. Thanks for the ideas!

hmweasley said...

I've read half of these books already, and the other half is on my "to read" list. Awesome choices!

Allison said...

The Hunger Games & Princess Bride are both GREAT choices! I'm kicking myself for not thinking about putting them on my list...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

That's an interesting observation about Sarah Dessen. But her books seem geared toward girl readers. Would you say that teenage boys would be able to relate her stories, too?

LBC said...

The Outsiders is a good one. It was one of my husband's favorites as a teen. Reading these lists makes me want to go reread some of these books.

Come visit me at The Scarlet Letter.

danya said...

Yay for Harry Potter, Jane Eyre, and P&P!! I definitely considered The Hunger Games but put The Giver on as my dystopian read :D

*whispers* And I've never read The Outsiders! *ducks objects flung at her head*

Tricia said...

I've read seven out of the ten, and only two for were for school.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails