Saturday, July 9, 2011

In My Mailbox: July 4 - 10, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


For Review:


Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Thanks to Teen Book Scene tours!

Coming December 8, 2011!

A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.


Bought:


Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last. Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone. Well, sort of. Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost. It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit. As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart -- and clues to the secret of the Shift.


The Tension of Opposites by Kristina McBride

It’s been two years since Noelle disappeared. Two years since her bike was discovered, sprawled on a sidewalk. Two years of silence, of worry, of fear.

For those two long years, her best friend Tessa has waited, living her own life in a state of suspended animation. Because how can she allow herself to enjoy a normal high school life if Noelle can’t? How dare she have other friends, go to dances, date boys, without knowing what happened to the girl she thought she would share everything with?

And then one day, someone calls Noelle’s house. She’s alive.

A haunting psychological thriller taken straight from the headlines, The Tension of Opposites is a striking debut that explores the emotional aftermath of a kidnapping on the victim, and on the people she left behind.

“Tense! The constant push and pull of friendship, pain, love, and jealousy is beautifully drawn. A definite must read.” – Jay Asher, author of the New York Times bestseller Thirteen Reasons Why


Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder

Restless souls and empty hearts

Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.


Echoes (Fingerprints #1-3) by Melinda Metz

Can't believe she did that . . .

. . . at four-thirty I have to . . .

. . . I hate this place . . .

Rae Voight is losing her mind. When she walks down the halls of Sanderson Prep, she hears voices . . . even when no one is talking. Other people's thoughts crowd her head, a confusing tangle of insecurities and dark secrets. Just when Rae reaches her breaking point, one voice comes screaming through the din, loud and clear:

. . . Rae must die . . .

If Rae doesn't figure out who the thought belongs to soon, she could lose more than just her sanity.


Won:


Father of Lies by Ann Turner

Thanks to Steph at Paper Cut Reviews!

Truth or Lies?

Lidda knew, with a clarity that was like a candle in a dark room, that all had changed; something was loosed in the village—Devil or not—and they would pay for it, every last man, woman, and child.

Fourteen-year-old Lidda has always known she was different. She longs to escape Salem Village and its stifling rules—to be free to dance, to sing, to live as she chooses. But when a plague of accusations descends on the village and witch fever erupts, L idda begins to realize that she feels and sees things that others can't, or won't. But how will she expose the truth without being hung as a witch herself?

Gripping and emotional, Ann Turner's retelling of the Salem witch trials captures one girl's brave soul-searching amidst a backdrop of fear and blame.


A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Thanks to Jen at I Read Banned Books!

Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears.

Praise for A Blue So Dark:

"A truly real, emotional, and honest read."—Catherine Ryan Hyde, author of Pay it Forward

"A Blue So Dark is a raw, compelling and eloquent portrayal of art and madness, and the freeing, healing gift of creativity. Schindler's voice is brilliant and true."—Carrie Jones, New York Times bestselling author of Need and Captivate

"Schindler's lyrical debut explores the nightmare of mental illness in a voice that is sharp and funny and all her own. This is as real as teen fiction gets. A must-read."—Crissa-Jean Chappell, author of Total Constant Order


From Library:


Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

In this delightful young adult novel for readers 12 and up, high school sophomore Paul says, "There isn’t really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They got all mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best." And, as he observes at the end of the story, "It's a wonderful world." Paul has both gay and straight friends, and they all hang out together at terrific bookstores and concerts, and advise one another on the sometimes troubled progress of their various romances. Paul is smitten with Noah, and they are beginning a serious relationship when Kyle, Paul’s ex, complicates things by deciding that all is forgiven. Joni is going out with Chuck, who dominates her, much to her friends' disapproval. Tony’s conservative parents refuse to acknowledge that he is gay, so the others must bone up on Bible verses all week so they can pretend Saturday night is a study group. And then there's Infinite Darlene, football quarterback and Homecoming Queen, who deserves a whole romance novel of her own. Life in their town is gloriously accepting of differences and only occasionally verges on magic realism, in this first novel in which same sex preference is not the problem. --Patty Campbell


The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan

Here’s what I know about the realm of possibility—
it is always expanding, it is never what you think
it is. Everything around us was once deemed
impossible. From the airplane overhead to
the phones in our pockets to the choir girl
putting her arm around the metalhead.
As hard as it is for us to see sometimes, we all exist
within the realm of possibility. Most of the limits
are of our own world’s devising. And yet,
every day we each do so many things
that were once impossible to us.

Enter The Realm of Possibility and meet a boy whose girlfriend is in love with Holden Caulfield; a girl who loves the boy who wears all black; a boy with the perfect body; and a girl who writes love songs for a girl she can’t have.

These are just a few of the captivating characters readers will get to know in this intensely heartfelt new novel about those ever-changing moments of love and heartbreak that go hand-in-hand with high school. David Levithan plumbs the depths of teenage emotion to create an amazing array of voices that readers won’t forget. So, enter their lives and prepare to welcome the realm of possibility open to us all. Love, joy, and these stories will linger.


I've been eyeballing Echoes for agessss, so I finally broke down and bought it on my spree last week. Lindsi from Books, Sweets and Other Treats has been insisting I read Shade, so I got it as well, and my other two Levithan books came in at the library. Shattered Souls is up next, since I have to mail it out next week, then Shade :)

What's in your mailbox?

20 comments:

basma aal said...

I did read Chasing Brooklyn and it was so good. Happy reading.

Tiffany said...

Great books. I'm dying to read Shattered Souls. I read Shade awhile back and loved it, I also have Chasing Brooklyn but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Rubita said...

I'm interested to see what you think of the Anne Turner title. She's an author whose books I've seen multiple times, but never gotten around to trying. Do you think you'll review it?

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

@basma aal -- I just read The Day Before recently, and really enjoyed it! I was surprised I could read an entire book in verse, but now I'm really excited to read Schroeder's other books. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one!

@Tiffany -- Everyone says Shade is so good! I've been remiss in waiting so long =)

@Rubita -- Yes, I review all the books I read, except for most of my school books (because I feel weird reviewing "classics" lol). I hadn't heard of Ms. Turner before Father of Lies, but I'm intrigued by this one!

Paper Cut Reviewer said...

Hey Casey! Great book haul! I'm happy to see you got your book=) Enjoy!

Have a great Weekend!
Steph

Morgan said...

Shattered Souls looks so good-it's on my wishlist. I hope you enjoy it and all your other books!

Missie said...

I haven't read any Levithan yet, but I've been wanting to. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get on that.

I love that cover for Echoes. Sounds good. Congrats on all you wins.


My IMM

Lori said...

Shade! Chasing Brooklyn! A Blue So Dark! David Levithan!!!!! I'm so excited for you! I have a unheathly obsession with David Levitahn...Nick & Norah....The Lover's Dictionary...sigh...

Oh and the Shade series is one of the best out there right now!! I hope you love it! Enjoy all your books!!

The Slowest Bookworm said...

I think Blogger is having some issues. I just left you a comment and it disappeared so I have no idea if you got it or not so I'll write it again :)

You've had so many great books this week I don't even know where to start! Shattered Souls has a totally awesome cover. It's just so pretty!

Another I really fancy is The Tension of Opposites. I love psychological thrillers and this one sounds right up my street!
The Slowest Bookworm

Laura (The Zealous Reader) said...

What awesome books you got this week! I especially love the cover of The Tension of Opposites. Can't wait to read your review!

Here's my mailbox: http://bit.ly/ntS9iA

The Library Owl said...

Great books! A Blue So Dark is an amazing book and I hope you enjoy it :)

Kristin said...

Wow, you have a nice stack of books this week in your mailbox.
Happy Reading,
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Small Review said...

I'm really looking forward to your review of Shattered Souls. I love the cover, but the premise sounds like it could go either way in terms of insta-love same old, same old.

Bailey said...

Shattered Souls is AWESOME!!! I hope you love it! And I am planning on reading Shade soon. =) All of the other books look good as well. Have fun reading!

In My Mailbox

Jennie said...

I have heard great things about Boy Meets Boy! Hope you enjoy them all!

Kate said...

Shade was amazing! Hope you enjoy your new books! :-)

Kristina said...

I love the shattered souls cover, it is so beautiful

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I still haven't read Shade yet! I'm looking forward to what you'll think of it before I get it :)

Mia said...

A great haul! Awesome stuff... I can't wait to read Shift :)
Check out what's In My Mailbox

Mia @ Gripped into Books

Just Another Book Guy said...

Great books! Congrats on all the cool stuff

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails