Saturday, July 23, 2011

In My Mailbox: July 18 - 24, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


Library:


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery...

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist- books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.


I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.

I've heard that The Book Thief is amazing, so it's about time I read it! Getting the Power of Six last week also got me in gear to finally read I Am Number Four, so I've been on the wait list at the library and finally got it. I've heard it's good, though I'm a little wary after that whole James Frey debacle. How do you guys feel about it?

23 comments:

Cara said...

The Book Thief is one of my favorite books! Happy reading! :)

Lauren M said...

Yay! The Book Thief is brilliant; I hope you enjoy it!
And I'm a bit wary of I am Number Four due to the James Frey thing as well. I couldn't help watching the movie (Alex Pettyfer is gorgeous, and I'm only human :p), but I've held off on the books because of the controversy. *shrug*

The Slowest Bookworm said...

I didn't really get along with The Book Thief, but I know so many people who loved it. I hope you love it too :-D

Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

The Book Thief is such a good book... I hope you like it!

Bookish Brunette said...

I haven't read either of these! But I've heard good things about The Book Thief!
Check out my IMM!

Ria said...

I, too, hear that "The Book Thief" is a really good one, though I haven't read it myself. And I enjoyed "I am Number Four" when I first read it, but discovering that it was essentially written to go to the big screen as quickly as possible ruined something about it afterward.

Lisa said...

I enjoyed I Am Number Four - reading the sequel soon when publishers send it out. I think the movie completely butchered the book but..you know.. *shrugs*

Here's my mailbox!

Jude Henderson said...

I haven't read I Am Number Four!! I enjoyed the movie though.
Hope you enjoy all your reads :D!

chelleyreads said...

the book thief is one of my sister's all-time favorite books. i hope you love it as much as she does--i've heard great things about it too. happy reading!

check out my IMM this week. :)

-Michelle

Brodie said...

I'm not really familiar with the author controversy, I did hear something about it but I'm not really in the know. I have read it and it was okay read, but didn't totally wow me over. Still going to check out the movie though!

I've heard such great things about The Book Thief too! I hope you enjoy!

The Library Owl said...

I loved The Book Thief and really want to read I Am Number Four. I hope you enjoy them :)

lisa [the nerd] said...

yay for THE BOOK THEIF!

Christin said...

I've heard great things about these books, but I have yet to read them. Hope you enjoy!

Check out my IMM

Books4Juliet said...

I have I Am Number 4 but I haven't read it yet... I hope soon I can find time :)

Here's my 1st IMM, I hope you can visit if you have time:
http://books4juliet.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-1-few-grabs.html

Kristin said...

You have a nice list of books in your mailbox this week. The Book Thief is on my TBR list.
Happy Reading,
Book Sniffers Anonymous

LunaMoth said...

ive heard great things about the bok thief, i hope you like it.

http://forevertonowhere.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox_24.html

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I also want to read 'The Book Thief' .. it just sounds so epic and important.

I started to read 'I Am Number Four' but I couldn't get into it. Plus the whole James Frey thing just totally turns me off. :/

Books Glorious Books said...

The Book Thief is still one of my all time favs - it's an excellent read. Enjoy!

Jennie said...

The Book Thief is a powerful book. I look forward to reading your review.

Patrik Ruam said...

I have to say: I AM NUMBER FOUR is amazing... I really liked it.
Action. Aliens and Romance. Everything that is cool -hahaha!

melissa said...

I am number 4 is very good if you have seen the movie its much more detailed then that. Enjoy!
If you have time plz stop by my IMM
http://melissa-justoneopinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/imm-2.html

Jennifer said...

I read The Book Thief some time ago and absolutely loved it. It's quite different but a worthy read. Enjoy your goodies.

Jennifer said...

I read The Book Thief some time ago and absolutely loved it. It's quite different but a worthy read. Enjoy your goodies.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails