Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm So Happy Were Recommended To Me

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


I was horrible at taking book recommendations before I started blogging, but practically everything I read now is off a blogger recommendation. Unfortunately, when a ton of bloggers are recommending a certain book that means I don't remember where I saw it first...but I'm going to do my best for this list.


1. Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton -- Recommended by Lindsi at BSAOT: I hadn't really looked at this one until Lindsi started raving about it, and told me it featured a dystopian element. It's probably going to be one of my favorites of 2011 -- I love the combination of mythology and dystopia.

2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan -- Recommended by my friends Emily and Brittany: This was just before the movie buzz started, I think. They both recommended it independently, so I decided I really needed to check it out. I DEVOURED these books in like a week. They were so fast and fun and funny. A great series for all ages.

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- I actually think the first time I heard of this series was when Stephenie Meyer recommended it on her website (I know, I know): I rave about this book all the time on here, so I'm going to sound like a broken record and say that this is the best book I've ever read, and I think it is absolutely perfect.

4. Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton -- Recommended by Melissa at My World In Words and Pages: I saw this on NetGalley but hadn't really gotten around to checking it out, then I saw a rave review on Melissa's site and knew I had to try it. I'm SO glad I did. This book is rich and beautiful and completely unique. Also, Finn = swooniness.

5. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings -- Recommended by my friend Emily: I didn't really do this kind of high fantasy until recently. If there was a map in the front, I was usually not interested. But this was our book club pick, so I had no choice -- and I loved it! It wasn't as confusing as I expected, and the unique world was really fun to explore, and there were a lot of great Princess Bride-esque characters. I really need to finish the series!

6. Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann -- Recommended by Lindsi at BSAOT: I am a chicken, and I was afraid this book was going to terrify me, but Lindsi made it sound so amazing that I decided I didn't care. It was creepy, but it was also thrilling and wonderfully written with a strong narrative voice. A great read that didn't scare me too badly ;)

7. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White -- Recommended by Everyone: This book was all the buzz last year, and I finally got around to reading it recently. I'm SO SORRY I waited! It was cute and hilarious and I want to be Evie's best friend.

8. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins -- Recommended by Everyone: Another one where I was afraid it couldn't live up to the insane hype, but it TOTALLY did! Another cute and funny and sweet read.

9. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa -- The first place I remember seeing this one was over at Bloody Bookaholic: This is now one of my all-time favorite series. I saw it around the blogosphere when I first started out and remembered it because of its pretty pretty cover. A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, so this sounded like the book for me -- and it was! The world building is incredible, the characters are hilarious and memorable, and the action is intense!

10. The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons by Dan Brown -- Recommended by my friends Emily and Brittany: More book club picks. I had heard all about how The Da Vinci Code was blasphemy from the bible bangers in my small hometown, so of course I was curious about it. I know some people don't like Dan Brown because his books can be formulaic, but as a newcomer to his writing I really enjoyed the way he wove the history and the art into these stories -- I felt like I learned something. Kind of like with National Treasure.


There are also several I've bought/borrowed and am really excited to read off recommendations:

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness -- Recommended by Lauren at 365 Days of Reading
Chime by Franny Billingsley -- Recommended by Tawni at The Book Worms (which I will be reading as soon as I turn in my last final paper on Friday)
Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson -- Recommended by my friend Lara
White Cat by Holly Black -- Recommended by Terri at Read and Riot
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta -- Recommended Lori at Pure Imagination


Have you read and enjoyed any of these? Are there any books you've read after seeing them here on The Bookish Type? I'd love to hear about it!

22 comments:

Lauren M said...

(Gotta admit, I squee'd a little upon seeing that you bought The Knife of Never Letting Go on my recommendation! :D)
Definitely jotting down a few of those titles...like Cryer's Cross! And I've had Anna & the French Kiss on my shelf forever--I seriously need to get to reading it! :)

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

The Hunger Games was actually the book that got me into reading and super glad it was recommended. I'm about to read Anna and the French Kiss right now and glad to hear that it was great. :D

Al said...

I'm halfway through Anna and the French Kiss, and I'm seriously in love with it.
and Hunger Games was PERFECTION. SERIOUSLY.
I really want to read the IRON series & Paranormalcy! :)
glad you liked them!
great post! :)

-Al
http://magnet4books.blogspot.com

BLHmistress said...

Those are some awesome choices, I do have Darkness Becomes her and Hunger Games I hope to get to read them soon.

Anne Bennett said...

I like it that you pick up recommendations of what to read from our blogs. I often don't remember who recommended that I read certain books.

smellincoffee said...

I remember the hype around The DaVinci Code. I almost bought it in the store just to spite all the people calling it satanic,but I waited until the last couple of years and read it in the library. I know the history is awful, but it's a fun little book. :)

I'm with you on Percy Jackson...a friend of mine introduced me to that series as well. :)

confessionsofacommonreader said...

I've also had Anna and French kiss on my shelf forever! must get to it. I loved the Hunger games and percy jackson! haven't read most of the others you wrote :) shall have to make a note of them.

Ashley said...

*taking notes*

I've really enjoyed all the books I've read from your list, so I'm definitely going to be writing down some of these recommendations! I keep hearing about The Iron King trilogy but have never picked it up. I suppose now I shall have to.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Here's a recommendation, then, if you liked Hunger Games: Divergent! And it just so happens that I'm giving away a copy of Divergent at the end of this month.

Here's my gratitude list: Top Ten Books I'm Happy Were Recommended to Me. I hope you will stop by!

BookMystress/Monique Writes said...

Nice list, paranormalcy rocks, i like lists like these, i always get lots of books written down to purchase

Bookish Brunette said...

I just can't decide if I want to read Tyger, Tyger...

WVRed said...

Jumped here from TBATB. Two more now for my TBR pile, The Iron King and Darkness Becomes Her. I notice you had The Knife of Never Letting Go as a to read. I loved it and the sequels.

Allison said...

I love your list! I feel like there are so many good books out there that keep getting recommended to me but I just can't keep up! :D I need to try some Holly Black.

Books4Learning said...

Hunger Games is one of my favorite recommendations. I did not read Dan Brown, but I found the movies dreadful. Not just because of the way he tried to make Christianity look like a fraud.

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

I've also pieked up quite a few recommendation from the book blogosphere. Hunger Games is a perfect example. Nice list!

readingromances said...

Great list!!

Lisa said...

Great Choice. Anna and the French Kiss is on my list too. I haven't read Darkness Becomes Her but I've heard great things about it.

The Book Gatherer said...

The Hunger Games seems to be coming up in a lot of peoples list today... and I've never even heard of it... woops! Which cloud have I been living on?!

kathy said...

That is a great list! The Hunger Games books converted me to reading so it makes me happy to see other people who love them. :)
And I highly highly recommend Jellicoe Road. I think it's my favorite book I've read this year.

couchpotatocritic said...

I read Pawn of Prophecy on a recommendation as well, and really liked it. I've also read The Belgariad, which is all about the long, long history of Belgarath's life. It was fabulous, and you should give it a shot.

LBC said...

Hunger Games is on my list. I keep seeing Anna and the French Kiss. It doesn't seem like something I would like, but so many other people do, I might have to try it.

Check out my list here

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh this is one amazing list of books! :) I've read many of them, but a few I want to get and read as they sound amazing!

And thank you for the mention. I'm so glad my review could help convince you to get the book. And even more so that you enjoyed it so much. :)

Thank you!!!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails