Thursday, May 12, 2011

Author Interview: Lia Fairchild, author of In Search of Lucy


Thirty-year-old Lucy Lang is lost. She spent most of her young life sacrificing her own needs to care for her half-sister and deal with their alcoholic mother. Now abandoned by both of them, Lucy struggles to find her own purpose in life; a struggle that is laden with wretched memories and regret. With no family, no relationships and an unfulfilling job, Lucy becomes depressed, cynical and self-destructive. At times she’d even contemplated suicide as the only way out.

When she is just about to hit rock bottom, Lucy finds out that her sister is ill and needs a kidney transplant. Lucy is found to be the only match and has no choice but to live; trapped in a lonely existence to save her sister’s life. And, she must battle with her emotions; her bitter resentment for her sister’s heartless departure and her longing to be needed again by the person she once loved most in the world. With the help of new found friends, Benny and Anne, and a struggling romance, Lucy sets out on a journey to reunite with her sister and search for the answers she needs to find her own identity.

With simply genuine and endearing characters, In Search of Lucy pulls you right into the story and into the characters’ lives. You’ll find yourself truly inspired and rooting for the happy ending that these characters are working so hard to obtain. This dramatic, romantic novel about the power of relationships and how they affect our identity will appeal to anyone that has ever experienced love, loss, and friendship.




Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? Can you tell us a little about your journey on the road to writing In Search of Lucy?

Not necessarily a writer, but I always loved creating things. Growing up, I loved reading, writing, drawing, and just creating anything. I’ve also always had a lot of ideas about stories too, and from time to time started writing about them, but this is the first time I set out determined to write a complete novel. I went through a few various stages while writing. At first I was so excited and motivated. I really knew I could do it and thought I had a great story. I think at some point many writers go through a little self-doubt. I began to worry about making it through to the end. If you think about it, 80 thousand words is a lot of writing. I just kept powering through those feelings telling myself no matter what I’d finish.


What was the first scene you wrote for this novel? How has it changed over the course of the publishing process? 

The first scene is sort of a flash back. Lucy has a very unreliable car and she is remembering when a stranger helped her after her car wouldn’t start. It’s kind of a funny scene the way she is interacting with the man. It actually didn’t change much over the course of the book because I don’t like to sit down and type until I really have it worked out in my head. Then once I’m happy with an idea I pretty much stick with it. Maybe I’ll change wording or organization, but the main idea sticks.


The main character, Lucy, goes through a deep psychological struggle. Did you have to do any research about depression or suicide as you wrote this novel? Did you ever struggle to write while your character was in this dark place?

I did do a bit of research on the subject, but strangely I didn’t feel like I was struggling to write about Lucy’s experiences and feelings. Like actors do for roles, I put myself in her place and just tried to express how I’d be thinking and feeling in her situation.


What was the most challenging aspect of writing this novel?

The most challenging aspect was the technical writing for all the medical information. I had to read a lot about diabetes, kidney transplants, hospitals, etc. I consulted with medical professionals as well.


What book have you re-read the most? How many times have you read it? What is it about this story that keeps bringing you back for more?

I actually don’t re-read books at this time. I love reading and recently I have met so many wonderful authors that my to-be-read list just keeps growing. If I had the time to re-read a book it would probably be “Remember Me?” That was the last book I read that really left me smiling.


What is a random fact readers probably don’t know about you?

I have had a really wide range of work experience in my life. I started working around age 15 and have had about 15 different jobs that span restaurants, retail, real estate, auto-motive, security, business, advertising, public relations and education.


What authors have inspired you? What about them do you find inspirational?

Until I wrote this novel, I really wasn’t inspired by a writer. I think true inspiration comes from really knowing more about a person not just what they’ve done. That’s why I’m truly inspired by the group of Indie writers that I’ve met since I’ve published my book. It’s amazing to me the pioneering they’ve done in ebook publishing. They wanted to be authors and they didn’t let anything stop them, including the obstacles of traditional publishing. I’ve learned so much already from them and I intend to take that and pass it on.


What message do you hope readers take away from In Search of Lucy?

Although this story has a lot of drama in it, it also is filled with hope. We have all had relationships succeed and fail in our lives and this story shows how those relationships affect our identity. I want people to see that you can always move forward with new relationships and new hope. Open your eyes to those around you and appreciate what you have.

Look for more about me and updates on my next book at http://www.liafairchild.com or follow me on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/#!/liafairchild

For more about this author, please visit:



I am a native Californian who loves reading, writing, movies and anything else related to the arts. Writing is something I’ve thought about all my life, so the completion of my first novel, “In Search of Lucy” is truely satifisfying. I hold a B.A. degree in Journalism and a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. My most enjoyable moments are spent with my family, traveling, spending time outdoors or simply laughing and being together.


*Purchase links were provided by the author and are unconnected with any affiliate programs related to The Bookish Type.

2 comments:

Meg @ A Bookish Affair said...

This sounds like a really good book. I always like books of self-discovery. I'll have to look for this one :)

Linda S. Prather said...

Great interview, and thank you for sharing. I've been hearing really great things about this book and it's on my TBR list.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails