Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming September 20, 2011!


The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.


Honestly, I'm just obsessed with London. It's such a perfect setting for these kinds of stories. I'm not really sure why -- maybe it's just because there's so much history in those streets. It's a magical place. This book sounds like it's right up my alley -- not only do we have London, we have an infamous serial killer and secret ghost police! It feels like historical fiction, even though it's set in modern London. I love the way two worlds can collide like that through the medium of a ghost story. Is Rory going to join the paranormal version of Scotland Yard to hunt down the ghosts of criminals past? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out!

What upcoming release are you most excited for this week?

16 comments:

Evie said...

Casey! I absolutely adore London, too! It's a magical place, I love the old buildings and the fog.. and I'm a sucker for English accent!
This book looks awesome, I will check it out once it's published :)

If you like London and ghost stories (and old theaters!) then I recommend you check out The Ghost Song by Sarah Rayne, it's a really great read!

Cheers!

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Oh my gosh, yes! I cannot wait for this book... it just sounds so intriguing, has a perfect setting, and I just love Maureen Johnson's books.

Jan von Harz said...

I cannot wait to get my hands on this one it sounds awesome Great pick!

Yvonne said...

I agree that London is the perfect setting. That cover is amazing too!

Crystal (Book Snob) said...

I'm so excited to read this book. When I was in high school I read a book on Jack the Ripper and I've had an interest ever since! And I love history and historical fictions! Great choice :)

Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

Lindsay of VioletHourBR said...

This book is already on my TBR list. I love the cover! So creepy, yet beautiful. Can't wait to read it! =)

I'm your newest follower, and I look forward to reading more of your posts! =)

Here's my WoW post

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I'm also a fan of London settings and from the sounds of things this will be quite a read. Looking forward to september now!

Lauren M said...

The Name of the Star is big on my wishlist. It sounds amazing! Plus, I love Maureen Johnson's writing. She's hilarious! :)

Sally said...

Looking forward to this one. Sounds all kinds of mysterious.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-14.html

Tribute Books Mama said...

This is definitely a must read, can't wait, very mysterious.

Melissa said...

I have this one on my list it sounds soo good! Great Pick!

Kristi The Book Faery said...

That's the kind of history I love to read about! :o)

I seriously learn more from 'fictional' History i.e. The Other Boleyn Girl, The Red Queen, etc.. I'm sure I would have done much better in High School if they would have put our History in a fictional format :o]

Great choice!

Kristi's WOW

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Oh, ohhhhh! I can't wait to read this book! It sounds SO awesome!! And that cover is pretty sweet too. :) Great pick!

Tawni said...

This book sounds so amazing, I cannot wait!!

Brodie said...

This sounds SO cool! The whole "Jack the Ripper" element is what first drew me in, but the whole story sounds amazing. I haven't actually read any of Maureen Johnson's previous novels, but I know a lot of people love her books so I can't wait to get my hands on this!

Lori said...

You can't go wrong with Maureen! I can't wait for this one!!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails