Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Heroines

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week, we're supposed to go back and choose a past topic we missed the first time around. I decided to do Favorite Heroines because I've been reading a lot of really great ones lately. They fall into three basic categories, though really each one is a combination of all three traits:


Fierce Heroines:

1. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: My all-time favorite heroine. She's brave, smart, selfless and self-sufficient, but still capable of vulnerability. I want to be like her and be her best friend.

2. Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore: A very close second. Like Katniss, this girl kicks butt and takes names.


3. Tris from Divergent by Veronica Roth: In the tradition of heroines like Katniss and Katsa, Tris is stronger than she realizes and I admire her drive to succeed.

4. Suze from The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot: Suze isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, sending lingering ghosts on their merry way. Plus, she has some serious snark thrown in for good measure.


Spunky Heroines:

5. Sophie Mercer from Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins: Sophie tends get herself in trouble, bless her heart. And no one can out-quip this witch.

6. Clare from Clarity by Kim Harrington: Clare refuses to be cowed by anyone. She's a social outcast because of her psychic abilities, but she doesn't take it lying down. The girl dumps a soda on a mean girl's head -- how can you not love her??

7. Evie from Paranormalcy by Kiersten White: Evie is just hilarious. She fights the Big Bad, but she's also a girly girl at heart.

8. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: The original Spunky Heroine. She's not afraid to speak her mind to anyone -- and it works out pretty well for her.

9. Bianca from The DUFF by Kody Keplinger: Bianca is undeniably cynical, but not bitter. It's a nice change of pace among heroines and I can definitely relate to her outlook.

10. Vi from Possession by Elana Johnson: She's sassy and doesn't mind picking a fight.





Girl-Next-Door Heroines:

11. Clara from Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: She's sweet and just a teenage girl trying to figure things out in the world, despite her angelic heritage. I would totally be her best friend.

12. Anne from Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery: Oh, Anne. She has the most vivid imagination of any heroine I've ever seen, and she's passionate about everything. It has to be exhausting.






I had a hard time narrowing it down! Did I miss any of your favorites?

14 comments:

Brodie said...

LOVE your list and totally agree with it! My fierce heroines would be exactly the same as yours, except for Suze since I haven't read the Mediator series yet. But I have the first four books, so I'm seriously thinking I should get to them soon! Love Sophie, Evie and Clara too!

You're making me want to go reread all these books now. Sigh.

Nancy Kelley said...

Excellent list! Elizabeth Bennet and Anne Shirley are two of my favorites. As for passion being exhausting, that reminds me of the movie Ever After The prince asks Danielle that very question, and she says, "Only when I am with you, Your Highness."

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

Love how you categorized the heroines. Sophie has to be my favorite spunky heroine and Clara was strong even through tough times :) Over all Katniss Everdeen is my #1 heroine. She's just an all around person who I also want to be friends with.

Jenny said...

I chose to do favorite heroines this week also. :) A couple of them are the same as yours. Great list!

confessionsofacommonreader said...

love it! Anne shirley for sure. Shes amazing. And Katniss just kicks ass.

Cyndi M. said...

Katniss, Clara, and Elizabeth are awesome picks!!

ComaCalm said...

Personally I love Prim, she proved to be just as strong as Katniss in the end.

My Top Ten Tuesday

We Heart YA said...

We would like to add Jane from JANE EYRE, who is very passionate and yet logical, who trusts herself and follows her heart but doesn't lose herself to a man.

Also, Anna from ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, for being so real she could practically come over for dinner at my house tonight.

And Sylvi from PEGASUS, because that book is awesome. Sylvi has an awesome heart, a clever mind, and over time she develops her confidence.

Love this meme!

Lisa said...

Great Choice. I love Katsa and definitely think she's pretty fierce!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Great picks, good reads.

Come by and see mine and my giveaways.

Bookish Brunette said...

Katniss is SO one of my fav heroines!

YA Vampire Books said...

Great choices!
Sophie, Katsa, Suze & Katsa can be found on my top list as well!¨
Along with Jess from the 1-800-where-R-U? series and many others :)

Tevya said...

Great list! I love how you broke it up into types. Fabulous choices!

Reading Lark's Top 10 Tuesday

immortalelf said...

Great list of heroines! Katniss, Katsa, Evie, Elizabeth would definitely be somewhere on my list.

Here is my Top Ten list this week. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails