Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers I Wish I Could Redesign

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.






1. The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver: For this one, I just wish they'd use the UK cover for the US too. It is so much more fierce and mysterious! The US cover makes it look like she's holding the moon -- so then you're like, Oh? Is she a witch? But NO, that's not actually the moon and she's not a witch! Gotcha! I really enjoyed this book, but this cover just doesn't draw me in like the UK one does:
UK Cover







2. Haven by Kristi Cook: I just don't get this cover. It doesn't tell me anything about the book -- even after reading the book I don't get it. Plus, the colors are so muted and bland that it probably wouldn't catch my eye on the shelf, which is what a book cover needs to do. I think a picture of a brooding Gothic boarding school would be more intriguing and make more sense with the story.










3. Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann: Another one where I wish they'd use the UK cover. Inanimate objects just don't draw me in the way people do -- and for the longest time, I didn't even realize that this was a picture of a desk. The girl on the UK cover, however, just looks so haunted:
UK Cover













4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: This applies to all the classic novels they're trying to make look like a cheesy romance novel. These are brilliant pieces of literature, and they're trying to turn them into pop culture fiction. Honestly. This cover of Jane Eyre looks like a modern paranormal romance novel. I don't get it. What does this cover have to do with the story? I'll tell you: Nothing! I'm not sure which is worse, this or that Wuthering Heights cover that says "Bella and Edward's favorite novel!" *facepalm*






5. The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting: This looks cool, especially side-by-side with Desires of the Dead, but I don't really see the connection to the story. I guess maybe it's a violet, to go with the main character's name? That's kind of a big leap to make when you're browsing the bookstore and see this on the shelves. It doesn't tell me anything about the story.





6. Delirium by Lauren Oliver: I didn't even notice the girl the first few times I saw this. It's a neat idea, but it makes my eyes go all fuzzy when I look at it. I also don't see the point of doing it this way, except for the "neat" factor. It would be much more raw and true to the story if it was just the girl's face -- you lose the emotion when you obscure it with that second layer.






7. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer: I can get the symbolism of the other covers (though Eclipse is stretching it), but this one just makes no sense. What does a shredded flower have to do with anything? It looks like it has feathers for petals -- weird. My grandfather thought this was a hummingbird when he saw me reading it.





8. Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett: I am SO excited to read this book -- I love Greek mythology. However, this cover is easy to miss. I didn't realize until just now that the shadow is supposed to be the Minotaur (I guess, based on the book description). Unless you give it a second look, it just looks like a stone wall -- not very exciting. Perhaps this problem will be lessened in real life rather than on a computer screen?








9. Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel: Looking at this cover makes me think the book is contemporary MG/YA about life in the boondocks, not an intense star-crossed paranormal love story.











10. Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell: All the colors run together and make the picture indistinct. Everything except her face is dark dark dark. There are no details, just a general sense of gloom. Even the flower in her hair is washed-out. However, she does have this au natural look going on and combined with the sharp features of her face it gives her an otherworldly look that fits perfectly. Just lighten up the rest of the image and we might be good to go.



It would be much easier to do a list of Covers That Make Me Stand In Awe.

What covers would you like to makeover?

19 comments:

Braiden said...

I think the New Moon is more like a blood-stained white flower I guess. And then there's that petal which looks like a blood drop. I don't know that's just my depiction.

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I felt the same way about Delirium, but I like the color of the cover. And Haven actually caught my eye from how simple it was. I haven't started the book yet but looking forward to why there's a butterfly on the book.

Must Love Books said...

Ack! I can't believe I forgot to put the other McMann covers on my list! a freaking pillow? really? I added the Wuthering Heights cover to my list.

Phantom Paragrapher said...

Lisa McMann does tend to use Inaminate objects like a pillow, a glass or a desk. I didnt like the covers of her Wake Trilogy. Old Follower. Www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

ComaCalm said...

I actually like a lot of these covers! I agree about the classics and Haven for sure though.

My TTT

Kate said...

I have to agree with the Delirium cover. I love the colors, but for the longest time I thought the face in the title was just a glare of light, and I kept wondering why they weren't posting a better, non-glaring, shot of the book cover. I read it on my Kindle, so it was awhile before I saw the book in a book store, and I was shocked to notice the face.

Lori said...

What a fun post!! I like some of these, though. Like Cryer's Cross and Delirium! I also like New Moon, but it really has nothing to do with the story....and The Body Finder cover doesn't suit the creepy story inside at all!

Christina / Book Addict said...

Good call wanting to redesign Delirium and Demon Trapper's. I am not a fan of either, but completely forgot to add them to my list. Great list!!

Meg @ A Bookish Affair said...

I just read Delirium and totally did not notice the girl behind the words. I just like the color of the cover!

- Meg
A Bookish Affair

Beth S. said...

Great list! I agree with all your choices!

Lisa said...

I agree with the reprinting of all the classics. I hate that they all went with a Twilight theme and I CANNOT believe Wuthering Heights actually says that it's Edward and Bella's favorite novel. Are you kidding me?

Vicky said...

That's strange. I have the US version of Cryer's Cross there....but I thought it was the UK version. I haven't seen anything called The Missing.
Oh well, I did get it on Amazon, haha.
Nice list, here's mine:
http://ramblingsofoneinsixbillion.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

Lauren M said...

I agree with you on all of them except The Demon Trapper's Daughter. I still think it looks cool! :P
As for The Body Finder, I think the flowers/fabric/whatever was supposed to symbolize the echos Violet hears.

Birdie said...

I totally agree on the redesigned classic novels with romance covers. This is actually not a bad one compared to some I've seen. It drives me crazy when I teach Rebecca and the version I get through the bookstore for my students looks like a bodice ripper. *dramatic sigh*

YA Vampire Books said...

Haha this post was so fun to read! I have to agree with you on all covers!
* I bought the UK edition of The Demon Trapper's Daughter since the US cover was so blah.
* The cover of Haven is so boring. And weird.
* I totally hadn't noticed the desk on Cryer's Cross either!
* Everytime someone points out the girl on the cover of Delirium I'm like "oh right! There's a face in the letters!" Then I forget all about it until the next time... I'll try to notice the face next time :p

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

GREAT idea! I think "WTF was the designer thinking" all the time for books, sigh...

I agree with all except The Body Finder and New Moon. I think the New Moon might just be because I'm used to it, haha, but The Body Finder I think it does kind of suit the general feel. Delirium... I find the idea cool, but the excess of blue makes me feel like there's too much white (blue?) space. And that gives me weird... twitches.

June G said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the Haven cover. The story is so good; they could have done a way better job than this. The Turks have the right idea. Check out the Turkish cover: http://bit.ly/gMvSIA The author was super excited about it. I think this is just what you're describing. I told her they should use it or something like it for the paperback edition.

LBC said...

There is something about the Haven cover that I find pleasant, and I really like the Glimpse cover. However, I am totally with you on the Demon Trapper's Daughter. Bad.

Here is my list: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-tuesday-stop-embarassing-me.html

Small Review said...

Huh, I never even noticed the shadow on Dark of the Moon. It always just bugged me that part of the cover was darker.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails