Saturday, April 2, 2011

In My Mailbox: March 28 - April 3, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


For Review:


Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Thanks SO much to Egmont USA!

Coming June 14, 2011!

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Thanks to Hyperion Books and NetGalley!

Coming August 2, 2011!

The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.


Divergent by Veronica Roth

Thanks to HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books!

Coming May 3, 2011!

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


The Lens and the Looker by Lory S. Kaufman

Thanks to Wiley from AuthorsOnTheWeb!

THERE'S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE,
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PAST?

It’s the 24th century and humans, with the help of artificial intelligences (A.I.s) have finally created the perfect post-dystopian society. To make equally perfect citizens for this world, the elders have created History Camps, full sized recreations of cities from Earth’s distant pasts. Here teens live the way their ancestors did, doing the same dirty jobs and experiencing the same degradations. History Camps teach youths not to repeat the mistakes that almost caused the planet to die. But not everything goes to plan.

In this first of a trilogy, we meet three spoiled teens in the year 2347. Hansum almost 17, is good looking and athletic. Shamira, 15, is sassy, independent and an artistic genius. Lincoln, 14, is the smart-aleck. But you don’t have to scratch too far beneath the surface to find his insecurities.

These three “hard cases” refuse the valuable lessons History Camps teach. But when they are kidnapped and taken back in time to 1347 Verona, Italy, they only have two choices; adapt to the harsh medieval ways or die. The dangers are many, their enemies are powerful, and safety is a long way away. It’s hardly the ideal environment to fall in love – but that’s exactly what happens. In an attempt to survive, the trio risks introducing technology from the future. It could save them – or it could change history.


Captured (Divided Realms #1) by Maggie L. Wood

Thanks to Stephanie at Lobster Press!

Re-released May 1, 2011!

A teen is transported to an enchanted realm—could she be the hero that the kingdom seeks?

Fifteen-year-old Willow Kingswell has been listening to her Nana's tales of faeries and enchanted kingdoms for as long as she can remember. But when she is magically transported to the realm of Mistolear, she is stunned to learn that the stories were true, and that she is actually a princess. Suddenly, Willow has to fit into a royal family she didn't know she had, deal with customs she doesn't understand and sort out her feelings for Brand, the handsome knight who has sworn to protect her.

On top of everything, she may also be the key to saving Mistolear from a terrifying spell. The nefarious faerie prince Nezeral has pitted two kingdoms against each other in a life-or-death chess match, in which people are the game pieces. As a pawn, Willow now glows with the light of the game and must find the courage and cleverness to battle Nezeral before her loved ones fall. Could a meager pawn really be the most powerful piece on the board?


The Darkening (Divided Realms #2) by Maggie L. Wood

Thanks to Stephanie at Lobster Press!

Re-released May 1, 2011!

Life is returning to normal since Willow defeated the faerie prince who had ensnared Mistolear in a deadly game. She is refining her skills at Mage School and spending time with her new friends, especially Brand, the handsome knight who has sworn to protect her. Unfortunately, he also drives her mad with his old-fashioned rules about "proper courtship."

The peace does not last, however, as a misstep in Clarion dooms Willow to play another twisted faerie game. If she loses, faeries will once again be free to wreak havoc in the realms of Mistolear and Earth. The Game Master, King Jarlath of the Unseelie Court, throws Willow and Brand into the Goblin's Gauntlet where goblins, phookas and a host of bloodthirsty creatures are on the hunt. In a surprising move, Jarlath sends his own children into the game as well. Dacia, the female twin, is ruthless and cunning. Theon, the male, is clever, flirtatious and, like all faeries, devastatingly beautiful. Willow struggles to resist Theon's charm, while Brand's jealousy simmers—but with the fate of two realms hanging in the balance, both must push their emotions aside. Can Willow and Brand trust the faerie siblings, or is there more than one game being played?


No Hope for Gomez! by Graham Parke

Thanks to Graham Parke!

It's the age-old tale:
Boy meets girl.
Boy stalks girl.
Girl already has a stalker.
Boy becomes her stalker-stalker.

We've seen it all before, many times, but this time it's different. If only slightly. When Gomez Porter becomes a test subject in an experimental drug trial, he is asked to keep track of any strange experiences through a blog. What Gomez isn't ready for, is so many of his experiences suddenly seeming strange; the antiques dealer trying to buy his old tax papers, his neighbor boiling salamanders on his balcony at midnight, the super sexy lab assistant who falls for him but is unable to express herself in terms outside the realm of science. But when one of the trial participants turns up dead and another goes missing, Gomez begins to fear for his life. No longer sure who he can trust and which of his experiences are real and which merely drug induced illusions, he decides it's time to go underground and work out a devious plan.

Now, years later, his blogs have been recovered from a defunct server. For the first time we can find out firsthand what happened to Gomez as he takes us on a wild ride of discovery.


Won:

Thanks to Good Choice Reading for both ARCs!


Die for Me by Amy Plum

Coming May 10, 2011!

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?


Stay by Deb Caletti

Coming April 5, 2011!

Clara’s relationship with Christian is intense from the start, and like nothing she’s ever experienced before. But what starts as devotion quickly becomes obsession, and it’s almost too late before Clara realizes how far gone Christian is—and what he’s willing to do to make her stay.

Now Clara has left the city—and Christian—behind. No one back home has any idea where she is, but she still struggles to shake off her fear. She knows Christian won’t let her go that easily, and that no matter how far she runs, it may not be far enough....


Borrowed:


Dark Parties by Sara Grant

Thanks to Lauren at 365 Days of Reading for loaning us her ARC for A Cornucopia of Dystopia!

Coming August 3, 2011!

Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says...

Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most.


My excitement is completely uncontrollable this week!! I may have done some screaming and jumping when I found Hourglass in my mailbox this morning (pretty sure I scared my roommates...). I am so excited to read all of these! I've already read No Hope for Gomez and thought it was fascinating -- I'll be doing an interview with author Graham Parke soon, so keep an eye out! I'll also be hosting a giveaway of Divergent alongside my review as part of A Cornucopia of Dystopia ;) Thanks again to Good Choice Reading for the ARC giveaway, and to the awesome Lauren for generously loaning out her ARC of Dark Parties!

What's in your mailbox this week?

19 comments:

Christina T said...

I have Hourglass too. How exciting that you got Divergent! I can't wait for that one. I really want to read Die for Me also. I look forward to hearing what you think of these.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Oh wow, that's an amazing IMM! I have the first three on pre-order so I hope you enjoy them!

Lauren M said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You got Hourglass! I've heard such great things about it! So jealous! :P
And yay, I hope you enjoy Dark Parties! :)

Midnight Bloom said...

You had an amazing week Casey!!! I'm absolutely looking forward to reading Hourglass and Divergent so I can't wait to hear how much you love them...

And oh my gosh, I had no idea they had not only given new covers for Maggie L. Wood's novels but that they completely remodeled the covers!! Talk about a complete makeover!!

I didn't even realize they were the same until I read the plot descriptions and did a double-take. I just went to Goodreads to check and learned that there was a 3rd book in the works and I'm so happy right now because I'd given up that the author was writing a 3rd book. My versions, The Princess Pawn and The Princess Mage, came out 5-7 years ago so you can see why I was surprised to learn this. Anyways, thanks! :) :)

ComaCalm said...

You have too many awesome books for me to be able to comment on all of them! I'll have to settle with this:

DO WANT.

Plasticine and Books (My IMM)

Kristina said...

so jealous of Die for Me. With netgalley do you get ebooks or physical books?

ComaCalm said...

@Kristina: Galleys - eBooks.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Divergent is absolutely amazing! I hope you love it as much as I did! :)

Small Review said...

Wow! This is a pretty awesome mailbox! I hope you enjoy all your books. I'll be keeping an eye out for your reviews of the Divided Realms books. The first one has such a nice cover. I've heard of them before, but I can't remember what I heard.

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

wow! Great book week huh?!

Enjoy!

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Hourglass! Your IMM has so many great books, hope you enjoy all of them :D

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Wow!! Lots of awesome books! I can't wait to see what you think of them, especially Divergent! Enjoy!

Cari said...

I have heard such great things about hour glass!

Lori said...

Wow! I don't even know where to begin! You had a awesome week!! I want to get to Hourglass soon because it sounds soooo amazing and I love Myra! I've heard nothing but great things about Divergent! I can't wait to read it! Enjoy all your new books!

Kathy Martin said...

What a nice group of books! I'll be looking forward to your reviews. My mailboxes are here and here. Happy reading!

A Musing Mother said...

I loved STAY by Deb Caletti. I'm anxious to read the rest of your collection! You are my hero!

Aik said...

I know what it feels like to receive a book in the mail, 'cos I'm a book lover too! I hope you enjoy reading your books! Here's my IMM post.

By the way, I have a contest on my blog. 20 winners will each get an e-book copy of Andy McDougal and the Crypt of the Chimera by Kevin Richardson! It's international, so please hop over and enter. You can ask you friends to enter too. Have a nice day! :)

Best regards,
Aik.

Precious said...

Yay! Hourglass, Divergent and Dark Parties? Wow! Good week, Casey! I'm dying to read Divergent - my most anticipated dystopian read of the year. Happy reading!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooo!!! You have Near Witch and Divergant! I think both of those sound really good. I do hope you enjoy all your books! And have a great week!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails