Saturday, April 9, 2011

In My Mailbox: April 4 - 10, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.

For Review:


Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2) by Andrea Cremer

Thanks SO much to Penguin!

Coming July 26, 2011!

This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended.Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered.

But then the Searchers make her an offer,one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.



The Girl Who Was on Fire edited by Leah Wilson

Thanks to Sarah at Smart Pop Books!

Praised by writers from Stephen King to Stephenie Meyer, Suzanne Collins’ New York Times bestselling Hunger Games trilogy is dark, captivating, and deeply thought-provoking. Part straight-up survivalist adventure, part rich allegory, and part political thriller, the series has become a new YA favorite.

The Girl Who Was On Fire offers even more to think about for teen readers already engrossed by the Hunger Games. From the trilogy's darker themes of violence and social control to reality television, fashion, and weaponry, the collection's exploration of the Hunger Games by other YA writers reveals exactly how rich, and how perilous, protagonist Katniss’ world really is.

The Girl Who Was On Fire covers all three books in the Hunger Games trilogy.


Nyx in the House of Night edited by P.C. Cast

Thanks to Sarah at Smart Pop Books!

Coming June 7, 2011!

With more than 10 million copies sold internationally, and 7 million copies in print in North America alone, P.C. and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series, featuring fledgling teenage vampyre Zoey Redbird and her friends at the Oklahoma House of Night vampyre boarding school, is more than just another vampire series.

A big part of the reason is its strong mythological underpinnings. From Nyx, the goddess worshipped by the series vampyres, to the Cherokee legend that drives the plot, the House of Night series is infused with elements from multiple mythos and religious traditions to create a new, modern mythology all its own.

Edited by P.C. Cast, Nyx in the House of Night—a 2-color illustrated guide to the House of Night series—brings these rich mythological influences to life, providing the real-world stories behind the series and insight into the way those stories are used to create the captivating story of Zoey and the House of Night.

Chapters includes:
• Wiccan ritual
• The original story of Erebus and Nyx
• Cherokee mythology
• The historical significance of tattoos
• And more

The book also includes an original introduction and chapter on Scottish folklore by P.C. Cast herself.


Borrowed:


Chime by Franny Billingsley

Thanks so much to Tawni at The Book Worms for loaning me her ARC!

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.


There was definitely more screaming and jumping in my house this week when I discovered Wolfsbane in the mailbox. I've been pining for it ever since I finished Nightshade all those months ago. AND it has the pretty, old cover, so it matches my copy of Nightshade! Huzzah! Extra special thanks to Tawni for loaning me Chime -- I've been dying to read it for ages, especially after all the stellar reviews!

What's in your mailbox this week?

10 comments:

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Wow you lucky girl! Wolfsbane and The Girl who Was on Fire! No wonder you were jumping around screaming. I think I would have been too :D

Hope you enjoy them x

Melissa said...

I'm also very interested in The Girl Who Was on Fire and congrats on receiving Nightsbane!

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I'm reading Nightshade right now and is really jealous you got Wolfsbane, but congrats on it too! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. I'm also really looking forward to your thoughts on Chime. It looks/sounds like an interesting read :)

Candace said...

Your SO lucky you got Wolfsbane! I have my fingers crossed that I get an ARC with the original cover.

I have Chime and am SO excited to read it! Hopefully I can fit it in soon.

Enjoy all your beautiful books!

Small Review said...

Woohoo! Luck you! Not only did you get Wolfsbane, but you got the pretty old cover! I'm so happy for you :)

-Small

.

Lori said...

WOLFSBANE!!!! CHIME!!!! AHHHHH!!! :)

*Deep breath*

Ahem, you had an awesome week! I still have my figures crossed for Wolfsbane! And Chime is AMAZING!! Oh and The Girl Who Was on Fire is good too! Enjoy.

Natframpton said...

ooo some great reads there I can't wait to get my hands on chime

Jenny said...

Awesome books! I really want to read Wolfsbane and The Girl Who Was On Fire. Enjoy!

Jennifer A said...

Every single one of those books sound awesome!

I still need to read Nightshade. I love this cover of Wolfsbane though! It's so pretty, and matches the first book so well.

I am excited for Nyx in the House of Night. I hope it's as awesome as it sounds!

Great IMM this week!

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh all these books sound amazing! I need to get into the Nightshade series. I want to, but have to get it first. ;) Thanks and hope you have a wonderful week!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails