Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Hunger Games Movie: Casting News


Like all fans of this incredible trilogy, I've been anxiously watching the casting process for The Hunger Games film adaptation, set to hit theatres March 23, 2012. As of yesterday, the new trinity of teen films has been cast -- Katniss, Gale and Peeta. Check it out:

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss:


Josh Hutcherson as Peeta:


Liam Hemsworth as Gale:


Honestly, I'm sad. First of all, it makes no sense to me for Josh to be Peeta (hi, blond hair) and Liam to be Gale (hi, brunette), rather than the other way around -- to the point that I thought I read the announcement wrong. Aside from that, none of the actors really fit my idea of the characters. I was really rooting for Hailee Steinfeld as Katniss -- she has the perfect look, and we know from True Grit that she has the attitude. Gale also looks and acts more like Ben Barnes in my head (as do all tall, dark and handsome leading men these days. Pretty sure this is Julie Kagawa's fault.) And, well, I could actually see Liam as Peeta.


But I guess none of that really matters since I've given up on film adaptations of my favorite books -- and The Hunger Games is my all-time favorite, so it's definitely out.

What do you guys think of the casting decisions? Are you excited for the film? Wary?

4 comments:

LunaMoth said...

none of them really do it for me either.. i dont really follow teen actors and all my favorites are a bit umm.. older haha (i stll say they should put Robert LaSardo in every movie in some way!)

but im very excited they have a dat and i am so going to be there!

Lori said...

I kinda like Josh. I think when they dye his hair he will capture that sweet Peeta look.

Ria said...

I don't remember where I first heard it, but I agree with one site that I read where the writer said that they wished the cast had comprised of more unknowns, the way that Harry Potter movies had been done. The actors would still have to do auditions to prove their talent, after all, and it would give some newcomers a chance to get somewhere instead of just using people who already are somewhere.

Also, none of those people look like how I pictured Katniss, Peeta, or Gale. Too Hollywood-pretty, for one thing...

Brii333 said...

I don't know. I kind of think that the way the actor looks doesn't matter so much as how they interpret the character--what with the cosmetics we have these days, they can make the actors look however they want. I'm actually pretty excited--Hunger Games is one of those books that could be really difficult to screw up because the way it's written creates such vivid visuals. It's also not so much like Twilight in that most of what goes on in the book is in the character's head--it's got a lot of action. I, for one, can't wait to see what they do with it. Let's just cross our fingers and hope they do a good job.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails