Friday, April 15, 2011

Cover Comparison: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Daisy Chain Book Reviews recently revealed the UK cover for Cynthia Hand's stellar debut, Unearthly. It will be released in the UK on May 2, 2011. Check it out:



Here's the US cover for comparison:



There are quite a few Unearthly covers out there, but several people mentioned the Australian one, so I thought I'd add it for comparison:



I thought I loved the US cover, but the UK one blows it out of the water. I LOVE the new cover. I've just been staring at it in awe. Isn't it striking? There's just something so ethereal about all the white on blue. The girl appears to be in black and white, doesn't she? It's so subtle you hardly notice it, but I think that's what makes the whole cover just POP. She looks like she's from another world -- very "unearthly" (sorry, I couldn't help myself). I may order another copy of the novel just so I can have this awesomeness sitting on my shelf. I'm not as big a fan of the Australian cover, though. It's pretty, but it doesn't have the monotone overlay like the others and "girl in a pretty dress" has been kind of overplayed. Also, her pose is kind of awkward with her arm pulled back like that, and I don't really understand why she's wearing a ball gown to face the forest fire? I would expect some kind of Gothic or Victorian London story from this cover.

In other news, the Unearthly ebook will be released on April 19th!

Which cover do you prefer? Have you read this fabulous novel? Are you waiting for the ebook?

13 comments:

Keri said...

Strange... I've seen the US cover but the one I saw back in New Zealand was different but not the one shown above. It must be the Australian cover, which I have to say I like best because of the striking colours: http://www.theresabook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/unearthly-australia.jpg

The Slowest Bookworm said...

I have the hardcover sitting on my shelf but I STILL haven't read it. I totally love both of those cover and I would have a really hard time choosing between them. I think I'd just have to have both :D

Shannon the BookStalker said...

My mind was just blown by the beauty of the UK cover! Although I gotta say since I own a US copy, the picture online never does the real cover justice. Its so much pretty in person.

Lauren M said...

Hmm, I dunno. The UK cover kind of creeps me out (I think it has to do with the hair and the face). My vote still goes to the US cover.

slayra said...

Both covers are way better than the portuguese one (it's awful: http://heavenisnottoofar.webs.com/celestial.jpg). I think there was one with a girl in a red dress... I liked the contrast in that one, but I also think the UK cover is beautiful (the model looks a bit like a computer girl though).

Paula said...

Love the UK cover. Weird how the girls on each cover all have different hair color.

Kristina said...

I like them all, I really wish I could get a hold of each one!

I Eat Words said...

I can't wait to read this one! And AH! You're reading Divergent? I am too! :) I love it so far!!
-Farrah

Ria said...

You know, the US cover was okay (it seemed a little rough around the edges, somewhat unfinished, but still decent), but in comparison to the UK cover, it seems lackluster and dull! Honestly, that is one beautiful cover!

Lisa said...

Wow, the UK cover is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad I waited to buy this book. I've read it already but was iffy on both the US and Australian cover. UK cover will definitely be staring me in the face in May!

Bookish Brunette said...

Oh I can't decide! I think I'm leaning toward the US one though!

Vicky said...

All this book's cover are gorgeous! I'm not even sure which I love the most. Probably the australian one, but the uk & us ones are still jaw dropping.

Small Review said...

I think the US one is still my favorite. I don't really like the way it looks like a hologram in person, but I picture Clara looking like that girl. The UK cover is nice and really does make her look like an angel, but it also reminds me of the UK cover of The Replacement. Like a girl version. I don't like the Australian cover. It looks like a movie poster.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails