Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cover Comparison: The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate

Lauren Kate (bestselling author of the Fallen series) recently announced that her first novel, The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, will be getting a new look for its June 14th re-release! Check it out:


A steamy Southern beauty makes one fatal mistake.

Natalie Hargrove would kill to be her high school’s Palmetto Princess. But her boyfriend Mike King doesn’t share her dream and risks losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie’s nemesis, Justin Balmer. So she convinces Mike to help play a prank on Justin...one that goes terribly wrong. They tie him to the front of the church after a party—when they arrive the next morning, Justin is dead.

From blackmail to buried desire, dark secrets to darker deeds, Natalie unravels. She never should’ve messed with fate. Fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

Cruel Intentions meets Macbeth in this seductive, riveting tale of conscience and consequence.

Here's the old cover for comparison:



I definitely prefer the new cover. It's so gorgeous! There's a kind of ethereal vibe to the whole thing that seems to mesh well with the Gothic tone of the novel. I never could tell what was gong on in the original cover -- why is she leaning on the guy's back like that? It looks like she's using him for a footstool. The new one is more mysterious, and there's something hauntingly tragic about a sad girl in a beautiful dress, don't you think?

Which cover do you prefer?

17 comments:

Bella said...

That dress is gorgeous! I agree that the new cover is so much better :D I need to read this! :D

Terra Mae said...

LOVE the new cover! I am guilty of judging a book by it's cover, and the new one totally grabs my attention! ♥

Shannon@BooksDevoured said...

I love the new cover too! Much better than the other one. The story sounds interesting too!

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Wow, the new cover is a gazillion (scientific number, you know) times better than the original. The girl in the pretty dress cover is overdone, but this one manages to be interesting because of her pose and the expression on her face. The old cover is a bit typical and boring, but the new one totally draws me in. Love it!

Bookish Brunette said...

Definitely loving the new one!

Lauren M said...

The new cover is DEFINITELY superior. The old one looks kind of...trashy. Haha.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

The new cover is fabulous!! The old one? Not so much. :-)

Evie said...

Oh, most definitely the new cover! It's stunning! The old one is OK, but wouldn't really catch my attention in a book store. I would however buy the book with the new cover, not even thinking about it too hard! :)

Jennifer A said...

The new cover is much, much better! It's so pretty! I'm really liking it.

I never would have even given the book a second glance with the first cover. I don't really like it at all.

Yay for a cover change!

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Small Review said...

While I don't think you can ever go wrong with a pretty dress on a cover, I think the original cover suits the plot description better. I can't really see the girl on the new cover initiating "blackmail...buried desire, dark secrets...darker deeds" but the girl in the original cover looks totally up to the task. She looks ruthless.

ComaCalm said...

LOVE the new cover at the top. I have the UK cover, with the waterfall thing.

Midnight Bloom said...

No contest. It's hands-down the new cover. It's so beautiful! It actually makes me want to reconsider checking out the novel... :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I think I like the one with the white dress. But the old one has a catch to it too, but that white dress is really eye catching. :)

Lindsi said...

I lovvvee the dress she is wearing in the new cover! It's beautiful! I wonder where I can find one...haha

And you're right! I definitely prefer the new cover :)

Lena said...

I'm literally drooling over the new cover. I'm not a fan of the old cover at all, so this is great!

Tawni said...

The new cover is beyond beautiful. More compelling in my eyes!

Lori said...

I definitely like the new one better!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails