Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Witch Song by Amber Argyle

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming September 1, 2011!


Witch Song by Amber Argyle

The world is changing.

For thousands of years, witch song has controlled everything from the winds to the shifting of the seasons. But not anymore. All the Witches are gone, taken captive by the dark Witch, Espen.

As the last echoes of witch song fade, Espen grows stronger as winter and summer come within the space of a day. Now she’s coming for the one she missed—a shy, untrained girl of fifteen named Brusenna.

Somehow, Brusenna has to succeed where every other Witch has failed. Find Espen. Fight her. Defeat her.

Or there won’t be anything left to save.


There seems to be a theme with my last two WoWs. Maybe I'm getting tired of all the supernatural monsters -- there don't seem to be many good witch stories coming out these days. This book sounds so different and unusual! I love the idea of the witch song controlling all the natural processes on earth. In my head, it's kind of like the song that all the prisoners sing at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End -- this eerie, haunting, echoing refrain. I'm also intrigued by Brusenna (first of all, awesome name) -- how did she get left behind? How can she succeed when she's never been trained? There's something appealing about the fate of the world resting on one person's shoulders, isn't there? It's like Harry Potter -- he had to make his choices while the wizard and muggle worlds hung in the balance (no pressure...). It really raises the stakes and gives an air of epicness to the story. On a side note -- I love the golden eyes of the cover model. They're really mystical and she looks so lost but determined.

What upcoming release are you eagerly awaiting this week?

19 comments:

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

Why do I feel a bit of an Iron King vibe for this book? Only with witches. :) I love the summary though, and the premise looks very unique. Great pick!

Here's my Waiting on Wednesday picks

Julie said...

Yes, I agree! We need more witches stories. I'm looking forward to reading Demonglass and A Discovery of Witches (2 books on my TBR list). This is a lovely cover and a unique story. Can't wait for this one! My WoW.

June G said...

I'm not a fan of witch stories, but I agree, the cover is lovely. Love the new look of your site!

Majanka Verstraete said...

I've had my thoughts on this one for a while too, and I might include it in my WoW next week. Well, what can I say...I love witches. They're not necessarily evil, like vampires and demons (unless you turn them into sparkly veggie vampires...) but they can be either good and bad, and that alone is already very appealing. Add the fate of the world resting on the shoulders of one person, as you mentioned, and I'm hooked. It's like Harry Potter all over again, except with a girl as the protagonist. Great choice!

Take a look at my WoW.

Rie Conley said...

This sounds so good. I'm glad it's not set in a contemp setting. Added to my TBR.

WoW

Cynthia said...

I love books about witches, there's not many of those out there. Great pick!

abeautifulmadness said...

It sounds really good. Plus, the cover is really beautiful. Great pick!

I Read Banned Books said...

I've never heard of this one....thx!

Jen

Christy @ReaderBee said...

I just added this book to my reading list last night. Sounds great! I can't wait to read it! :)

Happy Wednesday!
http://readerbee.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-4-gathering.html

Deea said...

I agree, we need more good witches stories! I still have to check out the ones that already came out this year, like The Iron Witch. Anyways, this sounds different and interesting indeed, I'll add it to my TBR list. Thanks!;)

xoxo
My WoW

danya said...

This one's on my tbr list too! Love the whole golden-bronze coloring scheme on this one, makes it feel really warm, but like you say, also mystical. And I totally agree with you - some more witch books would not go amiss!

Sally said...

Haven't heard of this one before but it sounds good. Another book for my wishlist - I must have added about 10 books today.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

Tribute Books Mama said...

I am not a fan of witch stories,but thanks for sharing.

Amber Argyle said...

Thanks, Casey! The cover art was done by Eve Ventrue, who is absolutely amazing. We wanted it to have a warm, earthy feel, but like you guys said, still capture the vulnerable determined expression. So glad it worked!

I haven't read the Iron King, but it's been on my TBR list forever. Now I'll definitely have to move it to the top. :)

Sasha Switz said...

I've just started seeing this book around. I absolutely love the cover, and the premise is unique and intriguing. I can't wait until it comes out! Good choice for your WoW this week.

Rubita said...

I'm interested in this one now, too. The cover is nice, but I'm more intrigued by the description. I love shy heroines, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one.

Aylee said...

Hooray for witches! Love the synopsis and cover on this one!

BookGeek said...

This sounds really good. I am digging the popularity of witches right now!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

This is a new one for me. :) Sounds really neat and I really love that cover. :) Thanks!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails