Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming October 4, 2011!


Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.


As most of you probably know, I'm a sucker for anything to do with Greek mythology, and this book sounds like a fantastic twist on the classic myth. I love that these girls are monster fighters, a la Buffy! There need to be more kickbutt heroines in the world of YA lit. It's also a pretty interesting decision to make the girls triplets. Why are they destined to fight the monsters? Why aren't they burdened by the same curse as their ill-fated ancestor? I'm curious about "monsters lurking in plain sight" too. Do they use glamor? Or are there minotaurs walking down the streets of San Francisco like it's the most natural thing in the world? I can't wait to see how Childs sets up this unusual modernization of the Medusa legend!

What upcoming release are you most excited for this week?

23 comments:

Aleetha said...

I love the cover since the first time Tera Lynn Childs sent it to my email.
I have never read any Greek Mythology. But I think I will choose this book as the start.

My WOW

Precious said...

I love the sound of this one! I have it on my wishlist too. And like you, I like books related to Greek mythology. :)

Here's my Waiting on Wednesday post.

Liz said...

So many greek myth books coming out this year. I love it!

That's What Liz Read

Vy said...

I love this cover and now i really want to read it. I enjoy greek mythology related books :)

Brodie said...

I am super excited for this baby! I'm the same as you - love anything to do with Greek mythology and I love me some kickbutt heroines. This sounds fantastic, I'm so intrigued. And so impatient at that "October" release date!

Julie said...

I love this cover and story! October can't come soon enough! LOL Well, actually it will probably be here before we know it. Great pick :)

GMR said...

Ooh...looks like another interesting read to add to the anticipated list for October. Great WoW pick! Thanks for sharing.... ^_^

Belinda said...

Wow! I didn't know about this book. It looks like something I'd definitely enjoy. You can see what I'm waiting for at The Bookish Snob Happy reading!

ComaCalm said...

Someone posted about this the other day, I'm dying to read it!

New follower!

You can find mine here: http://comacalm.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-amy-holder.html

Sally said...

I've seen this one around but never read the synopsis. Now I have it's totally going on my wishlist - sounds awesome.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-11.html

Jan von Harz said...

I am with you on loving anything that even hints of Greek mythology, so this one (a new title for me) is now on my wish list too. Great pick!

Naj said...

I adore this cover. I haven't read much books that have greek mythology references. But so far I like it! I'll be looking forward to this one!


My WoW

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Daughters of Medusa? too awesome, this just looks like... creepy-kind of cool :) awesome pick! deffs going on my wishlist! :)

my WoW

Cynthia said...

I love anything that has to do with greek mythology too, can't wait for this one!!! =)

Arianna said...

This sounds great and I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for the suggestion!

abeautifulmadness said...

I like the cover. I don't know much about Greek Mythology, but it looks really interesting. Great pick!

Lori said...

I hope when you get it, it will be everything you hope it to be. Check out what I am Waiting On Wednesday for.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Great pick! I'm definitely looking forward to this one! Great cover too!

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

I'm SO looking forward to reading this one! It sounds great!
My WoW!

soulunsung said...

Haha, that book looks amazing and that is my birthday (the release date) so I totally know what I'll be asking for. lol. Thanks for sharing. :)

Suz @ A Soul Unsung

Read Now Sleep Later said...

I cannot wait... TLC will be at RT Book Convention, so I have my fingers crossed that there will be ARCs. *crosses toes for good measure*

Alison said...

Great pick! I really like Childs' books. Fab cover too.

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

Great pick!

this book looks awesome! =D

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails