Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Possess by Gretchen McNeil

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming August 23, 2011!


Possess by Gretchen McNeil

Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her overprotective mom, by the hunky son of the police officer who got her father killed, and by the eerie voices which she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Turns out the voices are demons--the Biblical kind, not the Buffy kind--and Bridget possesses the rare ability to banish them.

San Francisco's senior exorcist and his newly assigned partner from the Vatican enlist Bridget's help with increasingly bizarre and dangerous cases of demonic possession. But when one of Bridget's oldest friends turns up dead in a ritualistic sacrifice that mirrors her father's murder, Bridget realizes she can't trust anyone. An interview with her father's murderer reveals a link between Bridget and the Emim: a race of part-demons intent on raising their forefathers to the earth in human form. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the Emim's plan before someone else close to her winds up dead, or worse--the human vessel for a Demon King.


With all the angel books floating around out there, it's a nice change of pace to see the demonic side of things. Demon books seem to be darker, grittier, and I'm intrigued by Bridget's demon slayer abilities (even if they aren't a la Buffy). The girl sounds fierce. Plus, this book seems to be full of fun and unusual elements -- hunky sons of police officers (ok, not so unusual), eerie voices, exorcists and ritualistic sacrifices. It's like a paranormal murder mystery with some occult thrown in for good measure. How is Bridget connected to these part-demons, when she's born to banish them? And "human vessel for a Demon King"? Can it get more dramatic than that? Count me in! Also -- how stunning is that cover?

What future release are you eagerly awaiting this week?

14 comments:

Lauren M said...

I'm really excited for Possess, too! It sounds really awesome! (And yeah, that cover is AMAZING.)

Chel said...

I love the sound of it! I haven't heard of this book until now. Thanks for sharing!

Chel @ The Procrastinator's Corner

Violet said...

That cover is striking, and I like the dark edge to the paranormal elements in Possess. Murder mystery, exorcisms, and demons,... I'm intrigued. :)

My WoW pick is Lola and the Boy Next Door

Rie Conley said...

This cover is A-mazing! Great pick. I cannot wait for this book either.

Mia said...

Yay! This one's on my WoW this week too! I'm just dying to read this... Check my other two picks aside Possess here: http://girlaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-12.html

Jan von Harz said...

Definitely a popular book and one I am waiting impatiently for too. Great pick!

Christy @ReaderBee said...

I'm so excited to read this book! I've seen it everywhere lately. :)

Sally said...

This book sounds fantastic and I love the cover.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-10.html

Mysteriousrose said...

Wow great choice! I love the cover it's beautiful.

My WOW:
Mysteriousbooks

abeautifulmadness said...

Great pick. I love the cover

Gretchen McNeil said...

I appreciate all the cover love!!!! (I adore it, for the record.) And thank you so much for making POSSESS your WoW pick this week. Totally made my day!

Tribute Books Mama said...

good choice, great cover.

BookGeek said...

Ohhh, I am definitely going to have to add this to my list as well.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

This sounds really good. But I have to say I'm taken with the cover. It is a wonderful cover, yet it has a scary feel to it. :) Thanks!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails