Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: My Beating Teenage Heart by C. K. Kelly Martin

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming September 27, 2011!


My Beating Teenage Heart by C. K. Kelly Martin

Ashlyn Baptiste is falling. One moment she was nothing—no memories, no self—and then suddenly, she's plummeting through a sea of stars. Is she in a coma? She doesn't remember dying, and she has no memories of the life she left behind. All she knows is that she's trapped in a consciousness without a body and she's spending every moment watching a stranger.

Breckon Cody's on the edge. He's being ripped apart by grief so intense it literally hurts to breath. On the surface, Breckon is trying to hold it together for his family and his girlfriend, but underneath he's barely hanging on.

Even though she didn't know him in life, Ashlyn sees Breckon's pain, and she's determined to find a way help him. As her own distressing memories emerge from the darkness, she struggles to communicate with the boy who can't see her, but whose life is suddenly intertwined with hers. In alternating voices of the main characters, My Beating Teenage Heart paints a devastatingly vivid picture of both the heartbreak and the promise of teenage life—a life Ashlyn would do anything to recover and Breckon seems desperate to destroy—and will appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen, John Green, and David Levithan.


This book is rather different from my usual fare, but this synopsis is so riveting that I can only imagine how incredible the novel will be. The concept of disembodied consciousness, falling through a sea of stars and not even knowing if she's dead or alive is such a vivid, visceral image. It immediately captured my interest -- I feel so heartbroken for this poor girl, and I respect her for thinking of others despite her own troubling circumstances. As for Breckon -- what's happened to break him so badly? Why is his life suddenly intertwined with Ashlyn's? I have to know how their story plays out! This seems to be teenage drama at its most poignant -- and anything that can be compared to Sarah Dessen wins points from me.

What upcoming release are you eagerly awaiting this week?

20 comments:

ajmitchell said...

This sounds like a really intense novel and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and read it. Like you, this isn't my usual read either but I think that's partly why I'm so drawn to it.

My WoW

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

The premise is a bit unique, and a bit confusing, I think? I'm very curious how the story will turn out though. Is she dead? A ghost? Wow, the mere mention of Sarah Dessen and John Green makes me want to read this book now. Great pick!

Here's my WoW picks for the week

Brittany @ Nice Girls Read Books said...

I haven't heard of this one - thanks for letting me know about it. I think I'm going to have to pick it up!

Check out my WOW this week!

Jan von Harz said...

Sound very powerful and quite unique. I love the summary and will definitely be looking for this one come Sept. Great pick!

Christy @ReaderBee said...

I've not heard of this book before, but it sounds fascinating! Definitely going on my TBR list!

Here's mine!
http://readerbee.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-5-where-she-went.html

Sally said...

Haven't read anything by this author before but I love the sound of this one. On my wishlist!
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

Savannah said...

I haven't heard of this book but it sounds great. It's something I definitely read it. Nice pick!

Megan said...

This sounds really, really good. Wish we didn't have to wait so long for it!

Cynthia said...

I found this one recently and added it to my list immediately, it sounds sooo good!

The Book Angel said...

I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds good so I'm going to be adding it to my list! : )
I'm having a giveaway you might be interested in and my WoW can be found here:
http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

Sarah Dessen, John Green, and David Levithan?! This must be some book!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

I’ve heard this author is amazing! Very nice WOW pick :)

Lori said...

I hope that when you get your book, that it will be everything you hope it to be. Check out what I am Waiting On Wednesday for.

Lindsi said...

Like you, the synopis immediately drew me in! I can't wait to see how the story plays out :)

BookGeek said...

This sounds like another book right up the heartbreak alley. I would give it a read too because, you're right, the synopsis is so enrapturing and vivid. You are left with the question, "WHAT"S happening???" Enjoy this read as well :)

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Sounds like this one is going to be a tearjerker. Tissue anyone?

Tribute Books Mama said...

Never heard of this one , sounds good.

BLHmistress said...

This sounds really good, I have seen it around a few times.

My WOW

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Well, another new book for me. :) Hope you get it and enjoy it. :)

Sakura Sandra said...

Hi there, great option for your WoW. This is my first week doing this and if you'd like to see my choice, hop on over to my blog...

http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/

I just started following your blog too (oooh I'm almost your 100th follower, pre-congratulations for making it to four digits) and it would be super awesome if you took the time to stop by mine and do the same! Thanks! (^_^)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails