Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Just HAD to Buy...But Are Still Sitting on My Bookshelf

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


A lot of these will probably leave you all aghast that I haven't read them yet, but I just have to preface this by saying that I plan to read most of these over Spring Break!

1. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare: I was on an ARC tour for Clockwork Angel and completely fell in love with Clare's writing and the Shadowhunter world, so I ran out and bought the first three TMI books. Unfortunately, school started again and they've languished on my shelves ever since.

2. Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: I know, I know! I LOVED The Hunger Games. Hands down, one of my favorite books ever, but again school got in the way! I can't tell you how sad this makes me.

3. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater: Again, LOVED Shiver. I've actually been putting off buying this one because the hardback is so expensive, but I caught an ebook sale last week and finally bought it -- so it hasn't been languishing that long, but it's been on my mind since last summer.

4. The Once and Future King by T. H. White: This one probably seems a little random, but I feel remiss not having read the Arthurian legend. Plus, I want to read Avalon High by Meg Cabot, but I want to know the legend first.

5. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien: Again, blasphemy, I know. I started this one! But it was before I was really into the genre and I just couldn't get into it. I'm going to try again one day soon though!

6. Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult: I read Nineteen Minutes last year and was amazed by the questions Picoult was able to raise, so I got all excited about reading all of her books. I bought Keeping Faith and then...you guessed it, school got in the way. Lol.

7. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson: A friend of mine recommended this when I was obsessed with Sarah Dessen (well, I'm still obsessed, but this was the summer when I read allllll of her books). I bought it, but for some reason never picked it up off my shelf.

8. The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan: I LOVED Percy Jackson, and I was really excited that Riordan returned to that world. I saw this book on sale somewhere and picked it up, but it's really long and I had several review books demanding my attention, so I haven't read it yet.

9. Looking for Alaska by John Green: I've heard so many people rave about John Green that I figured I should check out some of his books. I also bought Paper Towns, I just have to find time to read them both.

10. Graceling by Kristin Cashore: This book sounds so different and awesome and I've heard a lot of people raving about it, so I'm really excited to read it! There are just so many books and not enough time! Gah!



What books have been languishing on your shelves? Do you want to join me in a little TBR backlog "Spring Cleaning" this month?

21 comments:

Kate said...

You'll love Maureen Johnson- honestly, start following her on twitter. She's hilarious and just a great writer. Graceling is amazing, but I prefer Fire, which is more a companion novel than a sequel. Great list of books, you should have a great spring break. I'm a bit ashamed of all the awesomeness that's lingering on my tbr pile too...

Lauren M said...

You're right--I'm aghast! Casey, you really need to read these books! :P

Anyway, I love this idea! I always buy books but put off reading them in favor of library or review books. There's just not enough time! :(

Jamie said...

Casey--Go finish The Hunger Games trilogy!! :) AHH.

I totally need to read the Mortal Instruments series..I feel like I'm missing out BIG TIME!

Anne Bennett said...

What? Drop everything and read Looking for Alaska. John Green is my boom author right now! Love him. Love his books.

-Anne
Headfullofbooks

Jen said...

Next time you have a free day or two you MUST finish the Hunger Games trilogy!

Jen at The Broke and the Bookish

Ronnica said...

How in the world did you have the self-control to not finish the Hunger Games series? It's amazing how that happens though, doesn't it?

smellincoffee said...

I have tried and failed repeatedly to read LOTR, so you're not alone!

Debbie's World of Books said...

City of Bones is sooo good. I have a few of these books on my shelves as well. I really want to get to 13 Little Blue Envelopes since I saw the sequel is coming out. Graceling has also been on my shelf for ages. Here's my Top Ten list

Lindsi said...

*gasps* I had NO idea you hadn't read some of these! I'll definitely be joining you over spring break :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This is an exceptional TBR. You actually never need to acquire another book!

Not like my list of doorstoppers!

Here is my Top Ten: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-books-i-just-had-to-buybut-are.html

Christina / Book Addict said...

Ohhh! I highly recommend The Mortal Instruments series and Graceling. I am also a fan of the Lord of the Rings series, too. You've got some other ones on here that I really want to read as well! Great list!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Well, can I say you are not alone in many of these books? :) I am just now finishing up City of Bones. Oh my! You really do need to read it. ;) I loved the whole trilogy of the Hunger Games. Oh wow! There are a few others on here I need to get to as well. :)*Cough, Linger, Lord of the Rings, ALL Percy Jacksons, Graceling cough, cough*

Do hope you get to them all and enjoy them! :)

Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

I haven't read the Mortal Instruments series either, and everyone keeps telling me I should. I loved 13 Little Blue Envelopes and Graceling.

kaye said...

I've read TH White--interesting but very long. I'm reading the Hunger Games right now and would love to get to Graceling.

kaye said...

oh . . . I'm playing today. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

The Slowest Bookworm said...

I have some of those on my bookshelf too waiting for me to read. It's a shame. I wish I had more time to read :)

Mary Ellen said...

When I look back, The Once and Future King, I think, is the book that started my love of reading. I remember in high school, reading whatever was assigned but not really thinking much about it. I read Once and Future King one winter because I was bored and someone recommended it. I don't really get bored now, there's always something to read!

Be sure to read Graceling!

The Book Vixen said...

I've got #1, #2, #7 and #10 on my TBR shelf too :)

LBC said...

I loved the Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but haven't read Mockingjay yet. I tell myself that I am savoring it by saving it for later.

Check out my list here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-tbr.html

Nancy Kelley said...

You'll love 13 Little Blue Envelopes and Graceling. (I prefer Graceling to Fire, btw.) Lord of the Rings is one of my top five favorite books, but I don't guarantee everyone will love it, as it is definitely a unique beast.

I'm planning a major read-a-thon when I'm in England at the end of the month. Should we each keep tallies and see who can manage the most books?

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

Almost all of those you really need to read! I loved so many of those books you haven't read yet!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails