Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: Wither (Chemical Garden #1) by Lauren DeStefano

Rhine was born knowing when she would die. Everyone does in her virus-ravaged world, where boys live to 25 and girls merely to 20. In the ensuing panic, kidnapping and forced polygamist marriages have become the norm, and Rhine finds herself another teenage victim. Trapped in a lustrous mansion with her two sister wives and newlywed husband, she can think of only one thing: escape. Unfortunately for Rhine, she may lose more than her freedom if she stays in this twisted house of smoke and mirrors.

Wither is a despairing story of humanity's tragic flaw -- a race that tries to play God, and ultimately destroys itself. Lauren DeStefano turns this ominous tale into something more than just the fatal virus at its core, expanding it to encompass an entire planet that is dying, ending -- a macrocosmic tragedy that is inexpressibly sadder. There is a strange, illusory beauty to this world, and especially Linden's mansion, that hides the monstrosity underneath. Chemical Garden seems a fitting name for the series; there is a falseness, a wrongness to the beauty it portrays. This is compounded by the light, playful moments scattered throughout the novel that are jarring in the midst of all the horror. DeStefano does an excellent job of evoking the repulsive, alien and artificial aspects of this world with subdued prose pierced occasionally by stunning metaphor.

Yet, Rhine is a hard heroine to grasp. Her calculating manner of tackling this unfathomable situation is inspiring, but her utter level-headedness in the face of it all is rather incredible. The bond between Rhine and her sister wives is the most compelling aspect of the story, as they manage to form fragile friendships and alliances despite the implicit competition for favor. Still, both of Rhine's "sisters" seem somewhat one-dimensional unto themselves. Likewise, Linden fails to evoke strong emotions, either of love or of hate -- he is merely a presence. Every character seems to be a pawn in some grand game that no one can hope to win.

Ultimately, though the world was a fascinating construct, the story lacked the immediacy necessary to make it a hard-hitting dystopian. I was also left with a lot of unanswered questions about the fundamental setup -- why kidnap multiple wives when their offspring will just die at the same time? Why is no one troubled by the multiple wives, just the way they are kidnapped? Why doesn't Rhine reveal the truth at the end? It was an interesting read that mesmerized with its eerie incongruities and kept me reading to discover how the unnerving story would end, but it lacked that special potency to make it truly stand out amongst the many dystopians proliferating on the market today.

Rating: 

This novel hits shelves March 22! Click here to preorder Wither by Lauren DeStefano.

Disclosure: I received an advance galley of this novel from the publisher. This did not affect my review in any way.

9 comments:

Lauren M said...

Yours is the first non-"omg yay Wither!" review that I've read. You make good points, though! I liked Rhine and her sister wives as characters, but I didn't go into total fangirl mode like I've seen others do. Meh, to each her own. :)

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Believe me, I wanted to be a total fangirl -- I've been looking forward to Wither for what feels like AGES, but ultimately I was a little disappointed =\ But like you said, to each their own =)

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Ooh, a non-squeeing Wither review! I like it! haha... I actually adored Wither, but I'm interested to see why others may not have. Funnily enough I found the characters (for the most part) to be incredibly gripping and well rounded. The only part of the book I had an issue with was the slightly underdeveloped world building.

~Sara said...

I like this book, really liked it. The only character I was kind of meh with was Gabriel, I was not convinced by the "love" story that was supposed to be there.

Rummanah Aasi said...

I felt the same way, Casey. I also didn't understand why some girls are killed when they are suppose to help repopulate the country. I hope the next two books sort out our issues.

SusanKMann said...

Excellent, honest review. I think I will give this one a miss x

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Very interesting. thanks for the great review. I've seen this book around, and I'm not 100% convinced its for me, but I do still love reading the reviews of it. Thank you.

Maria Behar said...

I have read and greatly enjoyed your this review! I LOVE reviews such as this one, that take the time to analyze every major aspect of a novel -- the plot, characters, whether or not the plot development worked, and the reasons for that, etc. There are too many bloggers who simply copy and paste a Goodreads plot synopsis, adding such inane comments as "I really liked this book", "the cover is terrific", and so on. I like "meaty" reviews, and yours certainly has plenty of "meat".

You are an engaging writer, too. Your style is very professional, and you are able to hold the reader's interest throughout, with your well-thought out analysis and honest critique.

I have just become a follower! Kudos to you!! : )

Maria Behar said...

I've just re-read my previous comment, and noticed a typo. The first line should include either the word "your" or "this", but not both, obviously. Lol.

I'd also like to add that I have not read this book, and I probably won't, either, thanks to your well-rounded review! : )

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails