Saturday, March 26, 2011

In My Mailbox: March 21 - 27, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


Review:


The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell

Thanks to Carina Press and NetGalley!

I'm a time pirate—born in 1810, now a 21st-century woman. I travel through time trying to right wrongs without disrupting the fragile balance between what is and what can never be.

That's why it's vital that I go to 1836 and find the man who conned my brother out of his Time Travel Mechanism as quickly as possible. If the technology falls into the wrong hands, it could change the world as we know it. The notorious Duke of Leister definitely qualifies as the wrong hands. An amateur scientist of the slightly mad variety, he's bound to figure out how to use the TTM sooner rather than later.

I knew this wouldn't be easy. But I wasn't counting on him being as sexy as hell. Or winding up chained to his bed…


Bite Me by Parker Blue

Thanks to Belle Bridge Books and NetGalley!

An edgy book for teens that spans the gap between YA and adult fiction. Life after high school is tough enough without having to go 15 rounds with your inner demon. Val Shapiro is just your ordinary, part-demon, teenaged vampire hunter with a Texas drawl. And a pet hellhound named Fang. Soon enough she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not.


The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Thanks to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley!
Coming May 24, 2011!

She thought there was something wrong with her. She was right.
Finley Jayne has known for quite some time that she isn’t ‘normal,’ but when she beats up the son of her employer and is forced to flee, she stumbles into a world where there are bigger freaks than her. They take her in, treat her like family and demand her trust. How can Finley trust them when she can’t trust herself? And why is she drawn to the powerful Griffin as well as the dangerous Jack? She has to get herself under control before she gets into trouble she can’t get out of.

Griffin King is one of the most powerful men in Britain but he couldn’t save his best friend from almost dying. He is determined to save Finley and help her become the person he knows she can be, but there’s evil afoot in London. Machines have attacked humans under the orders of a nefarious criminal called The Machinist. He has sworn to protect his country against such a threat, but he’s never faced any foe like this. However, when he discovers The Machinist’s connection to his past, Griffin vows to end the villain once and for all — but he’ll need the help of all his friends, including the beautiful Finley Jayne – the girl in the steel corset.


In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

Thanks to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley!

Two years ago I did a terrible thing. I accused my best friend of being a killer after seeing him kneeling over a girl's body. That moment and that outcast boy still haunt me.

Now my mom is forcing me back to Oklahoma and I can't get White Bird out of my mind. But when I find out he's not in juvie—that he's in a mental hospital, locked in his tormented brain at the worst moment of his life—I can't turn my back on him again.

No one wants me to see him. My mom doesn't trust me. The town sheriff still thinks I was involved in the murder. And the other kids who knew the dead girl are after me.

I'm as trapped as White Bird. And when I touch him, I get sucked into his living hell, a vision quest of horrifying demons and illusions of that night. Everything about him scares me now, but I have to do something. This time I can't be a coward. This time I have to be his friend.

Even if I get lost, as well…


Bought:


Fallen from Grace: A Bonus Dark Mirror Short Story by M. J. Putney

Allarde, a gorgeous, wealthy noble has hidden his true nature. Discover his diary and witness his sudden fall from grace.




Turned at Dark: A Bonus Shadow Falls Short Story by C. C. Hunter

Independent and strong-willed Della Tsang hadn’t believed in ghosts until she saw her dead cousin darting into the shadows of an alley. She hadn’t believed in vampires until in the dark of that same night she is turned into one. Introduced to a strange world of supernaturals, she struggles to accept this new reality. Unfortunately, the boy she loves senses something different about her and can’t accept her. Should she follow her vampire cousin’s lead–walk away from everything she’s knows and loves—and fake her own death? Or should she set her pride aside and ask for help from the camp leader of Shadow Falls—a camp where supernaturals go to learn how to cope with their powers. Either way, her life as she knows it, will never be the same.


Girl Parts by John Cusick

What happens when a robot designed to be a boy’s ideal “companion” develops a will of her own? A compulsively readable novel from a new talent.

David and Charlie are opposites. David has a million friends, online and off. Charlie is a soulful outsider, off the grid completely. But neither feels close to anybody. When David’s parents present him with a hot Companion bot designed to encourage healthy bonds and treat his “dissociative disorder,” he can’t get enough of luscious redheaded Rose — and he can’t get it soon. Companions come with strict intimacy protocols, and whenever he tries anything, David gets an electric shock. Parted from the boy she was built to love, Rose turns to Charlie, who finds he can open up, knowing Rose isn’t real. With Charlie’s help, the ideal “companion” is about to become her own best friend. In a stunning and hilarious debut, John Cusick takes rollicking aim at internet culture and our craving for meaningful connection in an uberconnected world.


Fallen from Grace and Turned at Dark are both free short stories available for download from Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and Girl Parts is a $1.99 ebook at Kobo! I'm pretty excited for The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale -- how awesome is that title? And that synopsis is pretty memorable, no?

What's in your mailbox this week?

12 comments:

Kristi The Book Faery said...

Wow, girlie, you've got some great reads there!

I've got some of them, too! Can't wait to dig in!!!

Have lots of fun and a Great Weekend!

Tea said...

Great mailbox, I like the pirate book.

http://readwithtea@blogspot.com

Evie said...

That's an awesome batch you got here! Some of these books are on my TBR list, some are new to me, will definitely check them out sometime soon :)

Happy reading!

ComaCalm said...

I have Bite Me and The Girl in the Steel Corset too, looking forward to reading them!

My IMM

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

The Girl in the Steel Corset sounds like a great book! I also bought those books for my kindle! Great books this week! :)

Honey @ Sniff Books, Not Drugs said...

The Girl in the Steel Corset = LUST!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :)

Misty said...

I really like the cover and the idea for The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (even though I don't get why she calls herself a pirate -- does she do "piratey" things?). Might have to look into that one...

Vy said...

Love the cover art of The Girl in the Steel Corset! Can't wait to read your review! Great books, I hope you enjoy them :)

Liviania said...

I recently bought Bite Me - I hope it's good, for both our sakes!

Elodie said...

Great mailbox Casey ;) !!
I so want to read Girl Parts and I'm hoping you'll have a great time with this book and .. the other ones you got !!
Happy reading ;)

Lori said...

AHHHH!! I want to read Girl in the Steel Corset soooo bad!! I wish Netgalley had the Kindle option back!!! *cries*

Enjoy your new reads!! :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hmmm, some new books for me here. And they all sound amazing!

I do hope you have a wonderful week!

And I'll be posting my Monday's beginnings tomorrow. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails