Saturday, March 5, 2011

In My Mailbox: February 28 - March 6, 2011

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


Review:


Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams

Thanks to Sarah at St. Martin's!

Coming March 15, 2011!

"Imagine Anna Quindlen or Sue Miller turning her attention to writing a young adult novel, and you have an idea what [Williams] has done for early teen readers…" —Audrey Couloumbis, author of the Newbery Honor Book Getting Close to Baby

Thirteen-year-old Lacey wakes to a beautiful summer morning excited to begin her new job at the library, just as her mother is supposed to start work at the grocery store. Lacey hopes that her mother's ghosts have finally been laid to rest; after all, she seems so much better these days, and they really do need the money. But as the hours tick by and memories come flooding back, a day full of hope spins terrifyingly out of control....

“No one can get inside the head and heart of a 13-year-old girl better than Carol Lynch Williams, and I mean no one," said James S. Jacobs, Professor of Children's Literature at Brigham Young University, of her breakout novel, The Chosen One. Now this award-winning YA author brings us an equally gripping story of a girl who loves her mother, but must face the truth of what life with that mother means for both of them.


I've been thinking that I need to read more contemporary, so I was excited when Sarah contacted me about Miles from Ordinary. I'm really curious about what's haunting her mother, and what memories are flooding back. Has she been repressing them? Does she have amnesia? I'm intrigued by the dark tone of this young adult novel.

What's in your mailbox this week?


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

9 comments:

christitheteenlibrarian said...

Ooh, so jealous, I'm waiting to read this one. Hope you enjoy it!

Lauren M said...

This one sounds really good! I've seen some positive reviews of it thus far, but I'm eager to see what you think! :)

ASHLEY HOLT said...

this book looks and sounds great!!!

Precious said...

Oh! I've heard good things about this author and this book! Happy reading!

Here's my IMM - http://shusky20.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-11.html

nicolesender said...

I'd love to read this book. Have found out that some of the young adult books are quite good and entertaining.
nicolesender(at)yahoo(dot)com

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Miles from Ordinary sounds really good. I hope you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to it being released.

Midnight Bloom said...

Oops, so I totally thought I'd been following your blog already Casey! My bad...

Miles From Ordinary sounds like a great contemporary novel! I hope you enjoy reading it! :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

This is a completely new book for me. Sounds interesting. I do hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm working on getting my Monday's Beginnings Up tonight. I really think my mailbox is hanging on the hinges after last week. ;D

Hope you have a great week!

BookGeek said...

Ohh, this sounds awesome. I like when an author can really, really define that voice. It also sounds like a heartbreaking book in a way. Have fun reading!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails