Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Bookish Blogoversary: Kelly Keaton, author of Darkness Becomes Her



Welcome to Day 6 of my Blogoversary Bash!



Kelly Keaton is the author of Darkness Becomes Her:

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.




Kelly's Faves:

Here are just a few of my favorite reads of the past year:




FIRELIGHT by Sophie Jordan. It's beautifully written and completely swept me away, right into Jacinda's world. The flow of this book and the voice . . . it's just perfect. Jordan makes writing look effortless!






A DANCE THROUGH TIME by Lynn Kurland. Okay, I will admit I have read this one before. But I pulled it out again last year because it's so romantic and sweet, and gives me that happy, hopeful, warm and fuzzy feeling. James MacLeod is one of my all-time favorite heroes (along with Kurland's Robin of Artane). He's fierce and he grumbles, but inside he's a big marshmallow. And the book is very touching.



THE HOLLOW by Jessica Verday. I had this for a while and finally got around to reading. So glad I did! It's got such a haunting quality to it. That kind of feel always pulls me into a book and makes me want to stay there. And how can you beat Sleepy Hollow and Caspian? :-)





A BRUSH OF DARKNESS by Allison Pang. This is adult urban fantasy and a debut. I read an ARC of this book and fell in love with it. It's funny, irreverrant, and really entertaining. There's even a tiny unicorn and an enchanted iPod!







I have seriously got to read Firelight! It's one I've wanted to read since it came out, and it just hasn't happened yet. Sigh. I'm also intrigued by The Hollow -- I love books that draw on well-known tales...though "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" kind of scares me. As for A Brush of Darkness -- if there are tiny unicorns and enchanted iPods, I am SO in!

Thanks so much for sharing, Kelly!


Just a reminder:

Any book mentioned in a Blogoversary author post is eligible for Giveaway #2!

Leave a thoughtful comment (with your email address) on this post to be entered, and come back tomorrow to see Leah Cypess' favorite reads and enter again!

Must be a follower. Check out the full giveaway details HERE.

31 comments:

CAsanmiguel said...

I've heard a lot about firelight. Kelly's comment on this book makes me want to read it more. My sister has a copy of The Hollow. I think I might give it a go :)

camilleanne_angel@yahoo.com.ph

Anne said...

You keep giving me more to add to my TBR list, at this rate I'll never finish it! The only one I've read of these is Firelight and I loved the fact that it was something new - I hadn't ever read a paranormal with a dragon, which happens to be my favorite fantasy species. And the rest have been added to my TBR, as I hadn't even heard of them.

greenparrot55 [at] hotmail [dot] com

Erika said...

I bought Firelight a few weeks ago from The Book Depository but haven't received it yet. Now I've got to jump on that one as soon as I get it!

erikadlugo@yahoo(DOT)com

Deea said...

I love when authors recommend books and when they tell us what are their fav books - it makes it easier to me to decide what to read next. Firelight's been on my TBR list for a while and I just moved it up higher to start reading it ASAP. And added Te Hollow and A Brush of Darkness to that pile - OMG, unicorn? Enchanted iPod? Bring it on!:D

Great interview - Kelly's awesome!;)
xoxo

ASHLEY HOLT said...

Kelly Firelight and both the Hollow look like great books I'm intrigued by dragons and urban legends also and I can't wait to read Darkness becomes Her!!!

ashtreygonesmokeya@yahoo.com

Mia said...

Gosh! I really need to read Firelight already! A Brush of Darkness is already on my wishlist! ;)

Awesome interview!! I love Kelly to death!

girlaboutbooks@gmail.com

throuthehaze said...

The tiny unicorn was my favorite part about A Brush of Darkness :) Firelight has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite awhile now...I really need to read it.

throuthehaze at gmail dot com

Lauren M said...

I'm definitely going to check out A Brush of Darkness! I've stopped reading adult UF because it's all so similar, but this one sounds unique! :)

Jennifer said...

Interesting favorites. I am very interested in Firelight and The Hollow. These books are already on my to read list. Nice to see them get positive reviews!

jennifer.kalman at gmail dot com

Diana said...

Great list! I really want to read Firelight and The Hollow.
Darkness Becomes Her sounds amazing!

artgiote at gmail dot com

Jessy said...

Great list! I will have to check these out.

findjessyhere at gmail dot com

Triss said...

I want so much to read this book. I love stories from south (Gone With the Wind especially). I am very curious about this book.

BLHmistress said...

I really want to read A Brush of Darkness, I love unicorns and the enchanted ipod has me curious too.

vampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com

YA Vampire Books said...

So glad I have Firelight on my bookshelf! Hopefully I'll have the time to read it soon! :)

winnie said...

I also have Firelight and A Brush of Darkness in my TBR list. Hopefully I can get to them soon. Thanks for sharing :)

chibipooh(at)gmail(dot)com

Vivien said...

I can't wait to get Darkness Becomes Her and read it! I loved Firelight as well.

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooo, Firelight is on my list too. I need to get to it. And I see the cover of the second one has been making its way around. Beautiful! I've heard great things of The Hollow too. :) And I want to get a copy of A Brush Of Darkness as it sounds wonderful. :)

Thanks!

MyWorldinwordsandpages@gmail.com

Aylee said...

I still have to read Firelight too! Such an original idea.

I will admit to never having even heard of A Dance Through Time. I love James MacLeod already :)

ayleejaine(at)gmail(dot)com

Lisa said...

Firelight and The Hollow were on my to read list but now th others are too :)
jlhsperry624@hotmail.com

Lexie said...

Wow, I didn't know that The Hollow was a reference to Sleepy Hollow! Makes me so much more interested in reading it!
lexie.bookbug(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Syki said...

This book sounds really good! And I love this cover :) Thanks for Kelly's Faves :)

sykorova.p@gmail.com

Annabelle said...

It sounds like a really interesting read, not to mention that I love the cover for the book, it's beautiful


af.love78(at)gmail(dot)com

dani_nguyen said...

I loved Firelight and can't wait for the sequel. The Hollow is on my to-read list. I haven't heard much about the other two books, but I'll have to check them out.

daniellesaunders1984(at)hotmail(dot)com

nfmgirl said...

Ooh I have got to try Firelight!

nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

Mary Ellen said...

I recently read A brush of Darkness and it's on my favorite books list now. It's just so different, unique. I so glad I read it.
I'm still waiting for a copy of Darkness Becomes Her to find it's way into my hands. Can't wait to read it!

krazzyme said...

I WANNA READ ALL THESE BOOKS.
*whew* now that's out of the way.\
Let me check if anyone I know has The hollow.I wanna read it :D

kads.bahl@gmail.com

Rhiannon said...

oh another pick where I haven't read any of them! yay, love a good solid recommendation. Firelight has been on my radar for awhile though so now I think I'll have to pick it up.
The Diary of a Bookworm.com
RhiannonRyder (at) Hotmail (dot) com

ferretvamp14 said...

I have heard wonderful things about Darkness Becomes Her. Can't wait to read it. I just got Firelight in the mail two days ago as well.

ferretvamp14[at]live[dot]com

bookdout said...

I really enjoyed Darkness Becomes Her - its a great blend of myths. A Brush of Darkness looks intriguing - I haven't seen anything about that yet but its on my TBR now

Shelleyrae
www.bookdout.wordpress.com

Brooke said...

I've been wanting Firelight for what seems like forever. Sigh- maybe for my birthday.

Thanks for sharing!
texas_gal45(at)hotmail(dot)com

*Jam* said...

I love Firelight's cover and Vanish's is just as beautiful! :)

milagp1(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails