Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Love Stories

This awesome button was made by Lindsi at BSAOT.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


I love this meme and have wanted to participate for a really long time but kept forgetting! I'm finally participating for the first time this week! However, I'll probably be skipping next week since the theme is book-to-film adaptations (to which I am morally opposed). Moving on...


1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Anyone who hangs around me for 5 minutes will know that I am an avid Austen addict (say that 5 times fast). Pride and Prejudice is her quintessential work for a reason. As many brooding, mysterious heroes as there are today, Mr. Darcy was the one who started it all. The chemistry between Elizabeth and Darcy is undeniable. They have spark and tension -- not easy to convey within the constraints of Regency morality. They are mental equals and they bring out the best (and occasionally the worst) in each other. They won't have any trouble keeping the flame alive till death do they part.

2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: Sam and Grace are just too adorable. They're so sweet and innocent and real. I can believe that they're in love in a way I can't with many modern heroes and heroines. Plus, they're undeniably star-crossed, and there's just something about wanting someone you think you can't have...

3. Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare: Beatrice and Benedick take the cake for flirty banter. It's hard to tell if they love or hate each other, but watching them verbally spar and dance around their attraction is the most fun you will ever find in a love story.

4. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: I don't want to give this one away because the romance comes as a surprise in the novel, but, again, I can believe in this love story. It's not another love-at-first-sight cliche. The way they fall in love over the course of the novel is so sweet. He is quite the gentleman, and there's something classic about their romance.

5. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer: I know you're all rolling your eyes at me, but I cannot explain to you the spell this novel cast on me when I first read it. Meyer's characters drive her stories more than anything, and it's impossible (at least for me) not to get caught up in the romance. I'm actually Team Jacob, but I started as Team Edward and that's clearly the love story here. There's something irresistible about that "love conquers all" ideal.

6. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen: I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to pick just one Dessen, but otherwise she would monopolize the list. Wes and Macy. There's something innocent and sweet about their love (clearly I like the shy and sweet kind of love stories). Wes and Macy need each other. They've both had a hard time in the past and they're both healing. They're both a little lost and they find what they're looking for in each other. I know that sounds kind of cheesy, but not the way Dessen does it. It's been years since I read this book and I can still remember the warm and fuzzy feeling it gave me.

7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman: If you want to talk about your epic, "love conquers all" kind of story, you've come to the right place. This story isn't just about the mushy-gushy. There's kidnapping, adventure, near escapes and epic duels. This story is just so much fun to read, and at its heart is the love between Buttercup and Westley.

8. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: I know, this isn't exactly a love story. It's a love-story-that-could-have-been. I think that's why I love it so much. Everything isn't tied up in a neat little bow. This is far more tragic and beautiful than Romeo and Juliet and their lust-at-first-sight could ever hope to be.

9. This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen: Well, I've run out of ideas, so I'm going to let Sarah have free reign. This still has Sarah's trademark sweetness to it, but there's also a lot of quirkiness. This novel is laugh-out-loud hilarious, and genuinely shows the ups and downs of young love that we've all experienced.

10. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen: Annabel and Owen could not be more different, but they're exactly what the other one needs. Owen challenges Annabel to open up in a way that she's been too afraid to do, but needs to do if she's ever going to move forward with her life. Just Listen isn't afraid to look at the nitty gritty parts of life, but manages to build a beautiful love story from the ashes.

(I've reviewed almost all of these. If you're interested, you can find them on my list of reviews.)

What are your favorites? Are you as big a Dessen fangirl as I am?

10 comments:

confessionsofacommonreader said...

twlight? TWILIGHT? sigh. that hurts. you have hurt me. lol

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I will never forgive the movies for what they've done to the reputation of the books. It was nice when they were in relative obscurity, but now the popular thing to do is hate. I wonder if the same thing will happen when THG or TMI explodes into the mainstream because of their movie adaptations.

confessionsofacommonreader said...

well I read the books and I hated them, but i know a lot of people enjoyed them!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYYY for the princess bride!

toni said...

I'm with you about Twilight! I had goosebumps the entire time I was reading it. Made me feel all awkward and giddy like a teenager again :D

Never read any Dresden, so I'll have to check her out sometime.

Rummanah Aasi said...

I've read all but one of the ones you listed! I'm a big Dessen fangirl too, but I have yet to get around to her earlier novels. I started reading her books after I read and loved "Dreamland". I can't wait for new book to come out!

Lily of Darkness said...

I love Sarah Dessen. Her books make me feel good. I have to say That Summer was my first, but Dreamland was the last one I read and I loved loved loved it. Very dark and a great read....

And I liked Twilight too.

SusanKMann said...

I need to add some of these to my list. x

Small Review said...

The Princess Bride! :D It's so much more than a kissing book (but the kissing parts are great too).

danya said...

Yay, P&P!! That would be on my list too. And Beatrice & Benedick are awesome :)

Also, morally opposed to book-to-film adaptations? *shocked face* Even the Colin Firth P&P version? :D

nea barabea said...

I so love the love story in The truth about forever!! :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails