Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Ari knows there are secrets buried in her family's past, but she doesn't realize just how devastating they might be until she receives a note in her dead mother's handwriting: "Run." The warning comes not a moment too soon, as Ari finds herself launched headfirst into a fight for her life. Determined to find answers about what horrors her mother foresaw and just who is sending assassins after her now, Ari braves the dangerous frontiers of the New 2 -- what's left of the once-vibrant New Orleans before it was devastated by natural disasters. As Ari is drawn deeper into the myth and mystery of the strange city and its cultish owners, she slowly discovers that her deadly curse is older and more damning than she could have possibly imagined.

Kelly Keaton immediately pulls readers into her dark, dangerous world with crystal clear language and vivid imagery. The setup of this novel is fascinating and original, blending reality with a vast range of mythologies and creating a brave new world in the hurricane-battered ruins of the New 2. The devastated world is chilling, and readers will be enthralled as the novel takes them into the atmospheric, sultry and seductive remnants of New Orleans. Though the setting is like another character in the novel, the heroine Ari still steals the show. Ari's past is filled with tragedy and abuse, and her cynical, world-weary perspective is a nice change of pace. It is exciting to see a girl who knows how to handle herself and doesn't fall into the arms of every brooding bad boy she sees. However, one in particular does catch her eye, and I would have liked to see more development of their bond and an explanation of his abrupt mood swing.

Keaton weaves the various strands of mythology into a breathtakingly imaginative whole, slowly revealing the tragic truth about Ari's past, present and future. As the novel picks up speed, it becomes a whirlwind of shock and awe, with evil lying around every corner. Keaton constructs a villain that is terrifying on a legendary scale, and her intense descriptions will be seared into readers' memories. The way the story comes together is brilliant, like puzzle pieces falling into place -- I absolutely did not see the shocking revelation coming. Readers will get lost within these pages, forgetting any concept of time as they devour this engrossing read.

Rating: 

This novel will be released February 22, 2011. Click here to preorder Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton.

Disclosure: I received an advance galley of this novel from the publisher. This did not affect my review in any way.





Come back tomorrow for an interview and giveaway with author Kelly Keaton!

40 comments:

the Vintage Bookworm said...

I've heard great things about this book and I can't wait to read it. :) Great review!

The Slowest Bookworm said...

I've heard such mixed reviews on this one. It does sound great though. One I'll be giving a go for definite.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Ooh, I'm back to tell you that I just pre-ordered it for me Kindle :)

Rummanah Aasi said...

Thanks for the review, Casey. I've seen this title for a while and I think I'll pick it up.

Lauren M said...

Thanks for the review! I'm glad to see someone who liked Darkness Becomes Her. I'm definitely going to pick this one up!

Vivien said...

I'm really enjoying these great reviews for this book. I'm excited for it now :)

Lindsi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsi said...

Hmm, I thought I had commented before, but I guess I missed it! Darkness Becomes Her is an awesome book. I loved the story and the setting, but I think the surprise towards the end was my favorite!

I'm really glad you liked it :)

Mia said...

Awesome review! I love this book more than I ever thought :) I think everyone should read it.

Precious said...

Wow! I'm looking forward to the vivid imagery! I'm also excited about Kelly's mythology. It's interesting how authors mold it into their own. Your review made me more excited for this! Thank you for posting!

Pisinat said...

I have really great reviews of this book! I like the fact that it takes pplace in New Orleans, I wish I can go there one day =)

Marrion said...

Ohhh... This is really interesting.. I have heard a lot of good reviews about this one and I am very eager to have one myself! You have an awesome review!

I'm a new follower by the way! Happy Reading!^^

YzhaBella's BookShelf said...

What a wonderful review! You've shared some very insightful observations and totally piques my interest!

Thank you!

Kate

Kristina said...

I need to practice on my writing skills so I can do half as good reviews as yours.

van_pham said...

Great review! Yes Kelly world building is awesome, really looking forward to reading this book.

BLHmistress said...

Seriously you sealed it with this review , I had my eye on this for awhile, I absolutely adore mythology so if I can find books with it in it I snatch them up. Thanks for the review and helping me make up mind.

alice priday said...

thanks for the wonderful review it makes me want this book more and more

BookGeek said...

Such a great review :) Like I said before, I really have been hearing good things about this book. I need to order it to see for myself!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Classical mythology and the rich culture and history of New Orleans aren't an obvious match. I've read several novels which combine the myths with a modern setting, but the latter is usually pretty bland. It would be interesting to see how two cultures that are both so strong and yet so different find a way to exist together in fiction that is both believable and exciting.

Thanks for the review! =)

Book Flame said...

Thanks for such a great review,I have this book on my TBR. I've heard positives and negatives about this book I guess i'll just have to read it myself.

donnas said...

Great review. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on it.

Teddycavy said...

I'm so excited for this book!I love good villains. (Iago, from Othello, is the best, hands down, by the way.) And I simply love the title. Some titles really don't catch you, but this one does, and it just makes me want to read it right now.

Aylee said...

Wow, high praise! Come to think of it, I don't believe I've read a negative review for this one yet so that's definitely a good sign! Looking forward to the shocking revelation! I love being surprised when reading :)

Tura Lura said...

I've always been a fan of mythology. I love reading new and/or updated interpretations of classical myths.

I've even taken to flipping through books on mythology, or rereading old favorites, for inspiration in my own writing. ^_^

<3,
TL

TheGirlOnFire said...

This books seems to have a lot of different aspects to it. Your review really makes it sound unique. I can't wait to read this one.
Stephanie
thegirlonfire27 at gmail dot com

Elizabeth said...

I loved this book. it was refreshing to read something new

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

I love the history and culture of New Orleans and Mythology is a great history. Book sounds amazing.I am looking forward to reading this book

Mary Ellen said...

This one is on my to buy list. I can't wait to read it!
Thank you for the review!
methom@earthlink.net

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh WOW! You really loved this one. :) I'm sooooo glad to hear that. :) I've got this one on my WANT list and really think I need to get it. :) Thanks for the great review!

JellyBear7 said...

I have this on my Want list! I really enjoyed your review. I thought it made sense and it makes me want to read this book right now!

FairyWhispers said...

Definitely on my to-read list someday when I can get my hands on it

Jessy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I have been wanting to read this for quite some time. Ari seems like such a kick-ass character, I can't wait to read more about her.

Syki said...

Thanks for this review! I am looking forward to read this book :)

IdentitySeeker said...

This book has been on my TBR list for a while but I haven't read many reviews for it until the blog tour started. After reading all the great reviews, I'm moving it to the top of my pile (or somewhere closer to the top).

Bella said...

This book looks so awesome! A villain that is terrifying on a legendary scale? Sounds so good, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! =] Great review!

Book Flame said...

okay it's final this book has moved up to the top on my TBR, I keep hearing nothing but good reviews for this book.

Akasha Hale & Lexus Salvatore said...

Great Review! A villain that is terrifying on a legendary scale!? Sounds freaking awesome. I honestly cannot wait for a copy of my own!


New follower :)


-Lexus Salvatore

Jennifer said...

I've just started hearing about this book recently. And now it's everywhere I look.

Sounds interesting.

OMG another book for my to read list! (thank goodness i have goodreads to keep track of all these new books i must read).

Thank you for taking the time to review this.

danya said...

For some reason I've been wary of this one — I guess the cover didn't draw me in and I thought it was pretty much like a lot of paranormal YA. But I really like the sound of the terrifying villain and the unpredictable plot! The 'abrupt mood swing' thing is a bit of a stereotype in this genre but I could probably get past that if the story and main character sucked me in :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails