Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Ellie is just a typical 17-year-old girl -- except for the dreams. In her dreams, Ellie sees her own death at the maw of some unfathomable beast, never imagining that the dream is really a memory -- until Will appears. Claiming to be her guardian, Will tries to awaken Ellie to her long-buried powers, but something isn't right. Ellie should have reappeared years ago and now her memories refuse to return. Ellie is the Preliator, reborn for millennia to spare men's souls from the forces of the Fallen. Unfortunately, the reapers won't wait for their prey to reach full strength before they attack, and Ellie must fight the beast that killed her once before without remembering why. As the truth begins to dawn, however, Will and Ellie slowly realize that some secrets should stay buried. The End of Days is coming, and if Ellie doesn't stop it the Preliator will be destroyed, never to return, leaving all mankind at the mercy of the damned.

Rather than giving readers another heroine who sits idly by while her dashing hero saves the day, Courtney Allison Moulton breaks the mold and brings to life a fierce warrior who can hold her own against hell and high water. The fantasy world Moulton creates is full of imagination: past lives, celestial hierarchies, ghastly monsters and ancient creatures too horrible to fathom. I hope readers will see more of Ellie's long past and immense power in future novels -- the handful of glimpses are just enough to whet the appetite and leave readers wanting more. Though the writing occasionally lacks polish, Moulton writes with a fresh and funny voice that is full of laugh-out-loud quips to lighten the darkness of Ellie's world. The sharp and snarky banter between Will and Ellie is the highlight of the novel, and will capture readers' hearts from the start. Their relationship jumps off the page, born of a centuries-long bond of blood and battle.

Though an immortal warrior, Ellie is a realistic and relatable blend of fearlessness and vulnerability: the creatures she faces are truly frightening, but she charges into the fray without a backward glance. Angelfire hurtles forward, plunging straight into battle scenes so utterly visceral that readers can't help but be swallowed up. Yet, this story is equal parts brutal action and sweet romance. Will is an alluring mystery; both battle-hardened and heart-meltingly gentle. Though his cryptic comments can frustrate both Ellie and the reader, when his internal struggle is finally revealed it is impossible not to feel his plight. The tension and longing and impossibility build to a crescendo that will keep readers enthralled, while the tantalizingly delayed gratification packs a steamy punch (in the strictly YA sense). This fun, fast-paced read combines all the necessary ingredients to bring readers running back for more.

Rating: 

This novel hits shelves today! Click here to purchase Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton.


Disclosure: I received an advance galley of this novel through NetGalley. This did not affect my review in any way.




This novel is part of the 2011 Debut Author Challenge.

16 comments:

Lindsi said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this :) I have it on my nook, but I think I'll wait awhile since I just finished an angel book. Brilliant review! "Will is an alluring mystery; both battle-hardened and heart-meltingly gentle." He sounds yummy! You worded it so nicely :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh, I have this one on my want list, and from this review I really want to get it. Great review! The first sentence of the second paragraph really caught my attention. :) Thank you!

I Eat Words said...

So, I've followed your blog and twitter FOREVER but I just realized it wasn't FOLLOW following your blog. NOW I AM :)

I've been wanting to read this! It looks excellent :) Great review!

SusanKMann said...

I was a bit dissapointed by this, it was good but not great. x

BLHmistress said...

What a fantastic review, what I love about them if I am putting of a certain book for whatever reason usually your reviews seals it for me and again you got me. I can't wait to get this one it just got bumped up higher on my list. Thank you.

Diana said...

I have not read any book with angels before, I think it is time to do. Great review and book sounds amazing.

Small Review said...

I am so highly anticipating this book. I love the way you describe Will and their relationship. I'm really looking forward to reading that banter you described. :)

Lynsy said...

Thank you so much for reviewing this! I wasn't sure at first if I really wanted to read it, but you erased all skepticism. I'm reading it now, and I love it!

Lexie said...

Sounds like a great story!! I love when books have heroines who aren't whiny and waiting for men to do everything for them. And I like when books have humor to keep them lighthearted even when the premise is dark.

Vivien said...

I've been waffling about whether to purchase this one or not. Still not too sure but great review.

Anne said...

I really want to read this one but my library has a miles long wait list and I just don't currently have the funds =( Great review though, just makes me want to read it more!

Erika said...

I just put this one on my wishlist! I keep hearing from everyone that the main character is really strong and the storyline sounds really fascinating too.

Akasha Hale & Lexus Salvatore said...

Im glad you liked it! I just started reading Angelfire today, but before that I was kind of iffy.

Wonderful Review!


-Lexus Salvatore

Syki said...

I didn't read this book... yet. But I am looking forward to read it 'cause whole story sounds good :)

Jennifer said...

It seems like so many of the books that you are reviewing are books I have recently read or plan to read.

It's so nice to get to read the reviews and to see what other books I might like to read.

I have not read Angelfire yet. But it is definitely on my growing list of books I must read.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review it!

Miranda @ My Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I loved this book! Great review and I agree on the 4/5 rating, so glad to see others loving it as much as I did!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails