Friday, February 25, 2011

Guest Post: Stacey Wallace Benefiel (Glimpse)



For starters, I have a really long name and that’s all my fault. A word to the wise: Either keep your maiden name or take your spouse’s name. Unless you’re Hilary Rodham Clinton or Jada Pinkett Smith, just slapping your spouse’s last name onto your name and expecting the world to roll with it does not work. People will be confused and try to hyphenate you.

I am an indie author and Glimpse (Zellie Wells Book One), a YA paranormal romance novel, was my first self-publishing endeavor. Since then I have published Day of Sacrifice: The Prophecy, the first short story in the Day of Sacrifice series, and Glimmer, the second Zellie Wells book. The next DoS book, Rebellion: The Outer Territory will be available in early 2011, and Glow, the third Zellie Wells book, will be out in summer 2011. I live in Beaverton, Oregon-which is 8 miles outside of Portland. My house is orange on purpose. I’ve got one husband, two kids, two dogs, two cats, and three useless college degrees.

My favorite color is green and I could eat bread and butter for every meal for the rest of my life and be fine with it.

When I’m not writing, I play with my kids, read, watch bad television, direct children’s theatre, and drive around in my mini-van singing along to age inappropriate music.

From author's website.

Stacey is stopping by to take us into the past by sharing some of her favorite reads growing up!


Into the Past 

This is a fun idea! I’ve loved reading my whole life and overflowed a few bookcases or ten. :)


Age 8 recommendations: My son recently started school and one of the things I was so excited for him to get to experience was the Scholastic Book Order! I used to pour over that sucker for days, circling all the books I wanted.

When I was 8 I liked chapter books like the Ramona books, Encyclopedia Brown, and Amelia Bedelia.

I was really into horses like most 8-year-old girls and my dad brought home an illustrated edition of Black Beauty for me when he was away on business. I still have it! It has ribbons attached at the spine to use as a bookmarker. I thought that was the coolest thing.

Other books I liked as a kid were: Bridge to Terabithia and Choose Your Own Adventure books.


Age 16 recommendations: The summer before I turned 16 I was an exchange student in England. The host family I stayed with had a nice collection of Steinbeck novels that I read over and over while I was there. When I came home, they let me take them with me. I still have those too! East of Eden remains one of my favorite books.

Later in my sophomore year of high school, I got really sick and missed a month of school. I was soooo bored. This was long before Facebook and more than 4 good channels on TV. So, when friends would bring my school assignments to me, they would also bring along books they enjoyed. This started my Vonnegut kick. I read every Kurt Vonnegut book I could get my hands on. This may be the first time I realized that books could be kinda weird and still really enjoyable. J

That same year I read The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver and was hooked. I love her writing style and recommend every book by her. She tells a great story.


Age 24 recommendations: These books are a mish-mash of genres. I was living in Los Angeles and on my own for the first time. I wasn’t in school and I didn’t have roommates. I actually didn’t know anyone; I’d just up and moved there. So, no outside influences. I read whatever the heck I wanted.

I love the poetry of Charles Bukowski. Reading him was definitely a right place right time thing. I lived in a bad neighborhood, had a really crappy job, and just needed to wallow. He’s good for that. When I met my husband, he also loved Bukowski. We have doubles and in some cases, triples, of all of his books.

At this time I also discovered Tim Sandlin. His books are hilarious. He’s a great storyteller and does small towns really well.

I think every single girl in their twenties needs to read Girl’s Guide to Hunting and Fishing.

This was also the year I read one of the best books ever- The Poisonwood Bible and I started the Harry Potter series. Good year!

Not that you asked, but I’m 35, almost 36 now and I spend more time reading YA than I ever did when I was one. There’s something nice about rediscovering a part of life that you’ve lived through after you’ve had some distance from it. If I had to choose, I’d be 16 over 26 again in a heartbeat.


Thanks so much for sharing these great recommendations, Stacey!



Review

Zellie Wells has a devastating crush on Avery Adams, the son of her mom’s high school sweetheart. At her sixteenth birthday party, held in the basement of her dad’s church, she finally finds the courage to talk to him. Turns out, the devastating crush is mutual.

As Avery takes her hand and leads her out onto the makeshift dance floor, Zellie is overwhelmed by her first vision of his death; shocking because not only are they both covered in his blood, but they’re old, like 35, and she is pregnant.

Afraid to tell anyone about the vision, (she’d just be labeled a freaky black magic witch, right?) Zellie keeps the knowledge of Avery’s future to herself and tries to act like any other teenager in love. When they get caught on their way to a secret rendezvous by her mom and his dad, they are forbidden to see each other.

Convinced that their parents are freaking out unnecessarily, Avery and Zellie vow to be together no matter what. They continue their relationship in secret until Zellie learns that their parents are just trying to prevent her and Avery from suffering like they did. The visions are hereditary, they’re dangerous, and if they stay together the visions will come true.

Now Zellie must choose between severing all ties with Avery, like her mom did to prevent his father’s death, and finding a way to change Avery’s future.


You can catch more exciting Glimpse guest posts, interviews and reviews on the Teen Book Scene tour!

4 comments:

Lauren M said...

Definitely agree on the Kurt Vonnegut! After I read one of his short stories in middle school, I was hooked!
Thanks for sharing! :)

booksntea said...

I can't imagine tacking on a future husband's last name. As it is, my name is already long-- 26 letters (10 in my first name alone!). I went to buy coffee from a local coffee shop recently, and the barista made a comment about how long my name was.

I love reading poetry by Bukowski. It's pretty amazing. And, when I was younger I loved reading Encyclopedia Brown and Ramona Books too. I didn't favor the Amelia Bedelia books though. I guess the way she took everything so literally just didn't mesh well with my personality or logic, even at such a young age. I think I was a fuddy-duddy.

Glimpse sounds like it's going to be a good read. *rubs hands together eagerly* I'll definitely be looking out for it!

- Jackie

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh my, you went from Ramona and Encyclopedia Brown through Steinbeck to Vonnegut and Bukowski too? I'd happily eat bread and butter with you every day. I've got honey [g]
Good luck on the rest of your blog tour!

staceywallacebenefiel said...

Thank you for being a part of the Glimpse blog tour, Casey! I appreciate all the hard work you put into it.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails