Monday, February 28, 2011

A Bookish Blogoversary: Jana Oliver, author of The Demon Trapper's Daughter



Welcome to Day 4 of my Blogoversary Bash!



Jana Oliver is the author of The Demon Trapper's Daughter:

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.


But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?


Jana's Faves:

Five books I’ve read and enjoyed recently. I find it intriguing that four out of the five books have male protagonists. Hummm…..



THE REPLACEMENT (Brenna Yovanoff) – I really enjoyed the male protagonist in this bizarre story that seems a blend of Tim Burton’s wildest nightmares and a changeling tale. Mackie Doyle is a troubled character, but I found myself rooting for him in his quest to make things right against the powers of Mayhem.





THE SHIP BREAKER (Paola Bacigalupi) ­ This story also has a male lead (Nailer) and is set in the Gulf region of the U.S. after a series of city-killer hurricanes. New Orleans has been destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed again and now is surviving on under another name. Nailer is a scavenger working with a team of luckless teens who recycle metal out of shipwrecks. This book is gritty, unflinching and even has a hint of romance. I loved it.




The Morganville Vampire Series – I know I’m late to the party on these books, but I finally had time to read them and really enjoyed Rachel Caine’s take on the whole vampire mythos. Her snarky teens sound like young adults and the stories are entertaining and page turners. That’s always a plus for a long series.





FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK (Melina Marchetta) – classic fantasy, but again from the male point of view. Finnikin’s quest to find his friend and lost heir, Balthazar, is populated with strong characters, deep emotions and twists that you don’t see coming.




THE LOST HERO: HEROES OF OLYMPUS (Rick Riordan)–A spinoff of Riordan’s popular Percy Jackson world, this story follows the adventures of Jason and his friend as they try to rescue the Goddess Hera from evil doers. There’s just something enchanting about these stories which are always filled with cliffhangers and great characters. These are my guilty pleasure when life gets too much.





I really loved the male perspective in The Replacement too, and the darkness was delicious. I've heard a lot of good things about Melina Marchetta lately, so I think I really need to read some of her books! The Lost Hero is sitting on my bookshelf just waiting for me to get to it -- I adored the Percy Jackson series =)

Thanks so much for sharing, Jana!


Just a reminder:

Any book mentioned in a Blogoversary author post is eligible for Giveaway #2!

Leave a thoughtful comment (with your email address) on this post to be entered, and come back tomorrow to see Kersten Hamilton's favorite reads and enter again! (There may also be another giveaway announced...*hint hint* ;-))

Must be a follower. Check out the full giveaway details HERE.

35 comments:

CAsanmiguel said...

first comment :) it's almost impossible to win if you're the first to comment. ohwell. here's my insights: :)
i've heard a lot about the replacement. i want to read it but i can't find a copy. i shall do my best to find one! :)

camilleanne_angel@yahoo.com.ph

Anne said...

I love, love, LOVE The Lost Hero, way more than Percy Jackson even and I loved those! I just got a copy for my birthday and I was so excited! I haven't read any of the rest but I shall have to put them on my TBR list.

greenparrot55 [at] hotmail [dot] com

Jana Oliver said...

Thanks for having me by, Casey. Happy Blogoversary!

SusanKMann said...

Great list, going to check some of those out. Happy Blogoversary. x

Small Review said...

So many books on this list that I still need to read! I've heard such good things about The Morganville Vampires but I still haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

I really want to read Finnikin of the Rock. I love high fantasy and this one sounds really good.

As far as The Lost Hero, well, I still have to read Percy Jackson! I love the way Jana describes these stories.

Lexie said...

All of those books are on my TBR list but I haven't got around to reading any of them! So many books so little time! Ahhhh!

YA Vampire Books said...

I've only read Glass Houses - which I loved. Really enjoy that series!

The Demon Trapper's Daughter is on top of my wishlist btw, it sounds amazing!

yavampire(at)hotmail.com

Vivien said...

I've read all but Ship Breaker. It's currently in my TBR pile. I really enjoyed The Replacement and Finnikin of the Rock. Great writing.

Vivien said...

AND I have the Demon Trapper's waiting for me to read GAH!...can't wait though :)

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Pisinat said...

Ok... So I haven't read any of these books, but all actually sound really good!

The replacement and Ship breaker are on my wishlist for a long time and Glass House already is on my TBR pile =)

pisisbook[at]hotmail[dot]fr

BLHmistress said...

I heard great things about The Replacement and as for the Morganville Vampires I am late to the party as well :).

vampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com

donnas said...

I really love the Morganville series. Its by far one of the best YA vampire series out there.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to reading the Demon Trappers Daughter too.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Diana said...

Great list! The Demon Trappers Daughter sounds amazing, I really can't wait to read it.

artgiote at gmail dot com

winnie said...

Thanks for sharing! Although I haven't read any of these, I do have The Replacement on my TBR list because I've heard so much about it.

chibipooh(at)gmail(dot)com

Nicole Loves Coacoa said...

The Replacements cover is awesome. I love the morganville vampire series too!!!!!

korra_950(at)hotmail(dot)com

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Well, not only do I want to read her book. :) But there are a few here I need to get! Glass Houses and the Olympian Series. :) Great picks here!

Thank you

MyWorldinwordsandpages@gmail.com

Sasha Switz said...

Hi Jana! Hm, I've read The Replacement and Glass Houses and loved them both! I know that Lost Hero is part of a companion series or something to Percy Jackson. I still have yet to get to those books, but they're on my list! I've heard of Ship Breaker, but I don't think my library has it, and it sounds really interesting. I'll have to order it for the library. And I haven't heard of Finnick of the Rock before, but I love fantasy, so I might try it! These are a great 5 picks.

-Sasha

fiveforfighting42(at)yahoo(dot)com

booksntea said...

I've seen The Replacement on a few different blogs, and it's definitely piqued my interest. I really want it! This is the first time of Finnikin of the Rock, and that book also sounds really interesting.

- Jackie
jacqueline.c.goodman AT gmail DOT com

Cari said...

I love Morganville Series by Rachel Caine!

Aylee said...

I've lost track of how many times a book by Melina Marchetta has been recommended to me and yet I have still yet to read one! Finnikin of the Rock sounds simply awesome and I would also like to get around to reading Jellicoe Road.

And of course I must read The Lost Hero as well. But first I have to tackle the Percy Jackson series which I know I'll love once I get around to reading it.

ayleejaine(at)gmail(dot)com

Jessy said...

Ship Breaker sounds pretty good.
I haven't heard much about it. I'll have to give it a try.

jen7waters said...

Oh Gee. I haven't read any of these. I have The Replacement on my whislist since forever.*ashamed*
Well, and now I've got my eye on FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK. Fantasy, a quest, deep emotions, twists...omg I want it! Okay, I'm going Book Depository shopping now.

jen7waters AT gmail DOT com

Mary Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ellen said...

I'm still not sure how I feel about The Replacement. I couldn't put it down, it was that good, but it really was very dark.I read a lot of paranormal so it's saying something if I think a book is dark. I think it really spooked me out, lol.

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer and The Monsturmologist by Rick Yancey are two of my favorite series told from the male perspective.

methom@earthlink.net

Jennifer said...

I have the replacements on my shelf but have not had the chance to read it yet.

I have read all of the Morganville Vampire series. Cute books!

jennifer.kalman at gmail dot com

Syki said...

This book was really good! One of my friends have it so I could read it but I want to have it in my home!

Love Beck!

sykorova.p@gmail.com

Annabelle said...

My TBR list just grew heaps longer! I've heard lots of good things about The Demon Trapper's Daughter and definetely want to read it!

af.love78(at)gmail(dot)com

dani_nguyen said...

I absolutely loved Finnikin of the Rock. It's one of my favorites and I just heard that it's going to be the first in a trilogy. I'm also a big Rick Riordan fan and really enjoyed The Lost Hero.

daniellesaunders1984(at)hotmail(dot)com

nfmgirl said...

Oooh, several books I haven't heard of before, and all of them sound great! I think that The Replacement sounds the best!

nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

krazzyme said...

I <3 THE MORGANVILLE VAMPIRE SERIES AND AM WAITING FOR THE NEXT HEROES OF OLYMPUS BOOK!!!!!
(SHE GETS ME !!!!!!!!!I TELL YOU SHE GETS ME!!!!!)

I so waanna read demon trappers daughter.*waiting for my bday to come* :D

kads.bahl@gmail.com

ferretvamp14 said...

I love the Morganville Vampires series and Glass Houses was definitely my favorite of the books. Plus the cover is full of awesomesauce.

ferretvamp14[at]live[dot]com

*Jam* said...

I liked Glass Houses too! And I have to start reading Rick Riordan's books. I'm also looking forward to Jana's The Demon Trapper's Daughter! :)

Brooke said...

I keep hearing such great things about The Shipbreaker. I guess I really need to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

texas_gal45(at)hotmail(dot)com

*Jam* said...

Oops, forgot my mail :)

milagp1(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br

Meredith said...

My family read Rick Riordan's books together this past year! Loved them!

meredithfl at gmail dot com

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails