Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming September 27, 2011!


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.
“My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something. A pseudonym. A nom de plume, for all of us studying for the SATs. I know that having a fake name is strange, but trust me—it’s the most normal thing about my life right now. Even telling you this much probably isn’t smart. But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cab for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it’s important that you know, so you’re not next.”


I've been excited about this book for what feels like eons -- just waiting for the cover to be revealed so I could WoW it. What first drew me to this book was the second description, which seems to be written from Mara's voice. It just seems so real and quirky and vibrant. I already want to know this character. On top of that, this book just sounds different from everything that's out there now. Any book blogger will tell you, we LOVE originality. Reading the same story a hundred times gets really old. Who is this 17-year-old kid who's killing people? I love that (s)he is given details (Death Cab and a B student) rather than just a black and white, good and evil murderer. This story just seems like it's going to be something totally unexpected, and I can't wait.

What upcoming release are you eagerly awaiting this week?


Description from Goodreads and the author's website. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

15 comments:

Skye (In The Good Books) said...

I've been hearing a lot about this book since the cover was released. It's so striking. Sounds like a great book from the blurb, too.

BLHmistress said...

The more I see this the more I am anxious for too.

My WOW

June G said...

It definitely sounds unique. Great choice. I met the author at a conference and I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Julie said...

I'm looking forward to this one, too! Everything about it so intriguing -- especially the cover. I like the new water trend with covers. Great choice! Here's my WoW.

Elodie said...

This book seems great and the cover is just gorgeous !! Great pick Casey !!

Jan von Harz said...

This is definitely a book I want to read too. Love the cover and the summary has me wanting it now. Great Pick!

Christina T said...

This sounds fantastic and I love the cover! I hadn't read the second part of the description before but it definitely makes me want to read the book more. Fantastic pick!

Rie Conley said...

I keep seeing this one show up in the WoW's but every time I see it I want it a little bit more.

Cynthia said...

cannot wait for this one! I love the beautiful cover and it just sounds sooo good!

Karen said...

I don't love the cover, but the book itself sounds great! I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Lori said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this one!!

Steph said...

This one looks really good! Thanks for bring it to my attention!
XOXO
Steph
Book Junky!

GMR said...

Nice WoW pick! I've actually seen this one previously, though only in passing. Sounded good then, still does now....thanks for the reminder! ^_^

Lisa said...

This looks really good. I like the second description a lot too!

danya said...

*So* with you on the originality thing. That's definitely what I look for these days, especially in certain genres (eg. paranormal YA - you can only read so many werewolf/vampire/angel books before they all start to sound exactly the same.) The cover for this one is so dark...definitely looks like it's setting the right tone for this one!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails