Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Nightspell (Mistwood #2) by Leah Cypess

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming May 31, 2011!



Nightspell by Leah Cypess

A stand-alone companion novel to the much-acclaimed MISTWOOD. When Darri rides into Ghostland, a country where the living walk with the dead, she has only one goal: to rescue her younger sister Callie, who was sent to Ghostland as a hostage four years ago. But Callie has changed in those four years, and now has secrets of her own. In her quest to save her sister from herself, Darri will be forced to outmaneuver a handsome ghost prince, an ancient sorcerer, and a manipulative tribal warrior (who happens to be her brother). When Darri discovers the source of the spell that has kept the dead in Ghostland chained to this earth, she faces a decision that will force her to reexamine beliefs she has never before questioned - and lead her into the heart of a conspiracy that threatens the very balance of power between the living and the dead.

My thoughts: I recently read Mistwood and absolutely loved it. These alternate-world, high fantasy kind of novels aren't usually my thing, but it's impossible not to be swept up in Leah's beautiful writing. Mistwood just breathed magic -- I felt like I was reading a fairy tale for adults. I'm a little sad that this novel doesn't feature the same characters that I fell in love with in the first book, but I'm in love with the world itself and can't wait to enter it again. Darri sounds like a strong heroine, riding off into the unknown to save her sister. Already the magic and mystery are in place, with the ghost price and ancient sorcerer and tribal warrior -- how epic does that sound? I just love the Old World feel that we associate so closely with that kind of Arthurian epic fantasy. Isn't that cover gorgeous too?

By the way, I'll be reviewing Mistwood and interviewing Leah Cypess soon, so keep an eye out!

What upcoming release are you eagerly anticipating this week?


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

12 comments:

June G said...

Haven't read the first book, but I'm loving the cover!

BLHmistress said...

I haven't read Mistwood by love the premise of this one so I think I'm gonna add them both to my list.


My WOW

Jan von Harz said...

If you loved Mistwood then Nightspell will blow you away. Cypess does a terrific with characterization(something I found missing in Mistwood)and her plot is very unique. One thing though is that it is not the same world that was in Mistwood. It is however better.

Cynthia said...

I still need to read Mistwood, I heard great things about it but haven't gotten around to it. I love the cover on this one! Great pick!

Megan Swicegood said...

I haven't read Mistwood but I really love the sounds of this. I may have to check it out.

GMR said...

Nice WoW pick....sounds good! Nice to know it's a stand alone so that those of us that haven't necessarily read the first book can still sample this magical world. Thanks for sharing!

Pixie said...

I did not know about this one, adding it to my list. Thanks! Here is our WoW

Moonlight Gleam said...

Great selection! I can't wait to read this one either!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Moonlight Gleam's Bookshelf

Small Review said...

I really enjoyed Mistwood, so I agree with you about being disappointed with a new set of characters....except, these characters sound great! I really like the idea of a ghost prince.

Looking forward to your Mistwood review and interview!

Rie Conley said...

What a beautiful cover! Putting Mistwood on my TBR list.

Mission to Read

thekams said...

I'm so excited for this one! Like you, I only read Mistwood recently, but I really enjoyed it. This one sounds like it should be just as good =) I'm excited to see your Mistwood review!

danya said...

I haven't read Mistwood yet but everything I keep seeing about it makes me think that I will enjoy it! I have a soft spot for the traditional high fantasy style :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails