Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming March 1, 2011!



Dark Mirror by M. J. Putney

Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.

Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted…by magic. When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.

But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever known or considered important will be challenged. What lies ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth.


My thoughts: What's not to love about the premise of this novel? It sounds like it's set in Victorian England (I LOVE Victorian England) and there's magic -- two of my favorite things. I also love the fresh twist that magic is treated like some kind of disease among Victorian society: something else they're trying to repress, like women's sexuality. Then there's the gorgeous cover with the mirror, combined with the idea that Victoria is entering a utopian world where she finds destiny, love, and friendship, and is valued for her true worth rather than some ridiculous Victorian ideal -- to me, that suggests something like Alice falling down the rabbit hole and into a whole other world. I'm really curious about what the mirror represents. Is it a portal through time? Does it take her to another, alternate dimension? Is it merely a metaphor? This sounds like exactly my kind of read.

What release are you eagerly awaiting this week?


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Great choice! I'm waiting on this one, too. I love everything about it. I'm a big fan of Victorian England, as well. As you mentioned, the Alice in Wonderland feeling to it is really cool.

Rie Conley said...

This is like the best of both worlds. Historical with fantasy elements. This is SO on my TBR list now. Thanks for suggesting.

Natalie (Mindful Musings) said...

This one sounds interesting, though I haven't heard of it before now. Like you, I ADORE Victorian England, so I think I'll add it to the TBR list. Thanks for sharing it!

Jan von Harz said...

Whats not to like about this setting is awesome and the girl's got magic. Great choice!

Rae Reads (Mesmeric Revelation) said...

This sounds amamzing!

Savannah said...

Amazing cover and great pick!

lady reader said...

Sounds great and the cover is awesome!

Have a fabulous week and happy reading!
Amy

Come by Attack of the Book to see our WOW!
http://attackofthebook.com/2011/01/05/waiting-wednesday-bad-taste-boys-small-persons-wings/

Steph said...

I haven't heard of this one but it looks really good.... and the cover is beautiful. Great pick!


Check out my WOW!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing it!

Ing said...

Sounds good. The cover is beautiful. Will have to check this out.

Check out my WOW:

http://asthepagesturn.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday-animal-magnetism.html

BLHmistress said...

Ok this one had me from the victorian era but to add magic I must add this to my list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.


My WOW

Small Review said...

Ooh, yes, I am really looking forward to this book too. I love the mix of Victorian era and magic.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails