Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Chime by Franny Billingsley

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming March 17, 2011!


Chime by Franny Billingsley

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.


I've always been fascinated by the witch hunts, and lately I've gotten into the ancient, mystical kind of legends like in Tyger Tyger or Mistwood. This novel seems to combine both of those elements. It sounds like it is set in some olden time, full of spirits and the fear of magic. There's something haunting about the synopsis that really draws me in and makes me want to know what kind of hardships Briony's family has faced -- and what secrets Eldric holds.

What upcoming release are you eagerly awaiting this week?



Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

24 comments:

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

Great pick! I have this one on my TBR and it looks awesome! =D

BLHmistress said...

I have this one on my evergrowing endless list lol. I absolutely love the cover.

My WOW

Rie Conley said...

I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds utterly amazing. Thanks for bringing to my attention another great read.

Elodie said...

This one is in my wishlist !! I love its cover !! GORGEOUS !!!

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

The girl in the cover looks really pretty! I love books about witches too after reading Mistwood, so this is definitely in my TBR list! Great pick :)

Here's my WoW picks for this week.

Aleetha said...

If I am not mistaken, I have seen someone review this book. Unfortunately I skipped reading it.
Now I am curious about this book

The cover is nice

Little Miss Becky : ) said...

Love stories about witches! This one is definitely on my want list!

Majanka Verstraete said...

Witches! Never was too fond of them, but I've gotten a liking to witch fiction as of late. So this one definately strikes my interest. Here's my WoW for the week.

Belinda said...

I love the sound of this blurb! Thanks for sharing because I hadn't heard of this book before. You can find my WOW at The Bookish Snob

Vicki said...

I love the sound of this, going right on my wishlist!

Precious said...

Great pick! I like this too and I'm looking forward to it!

here's my WoW picks: http://shusky20.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday-triple-treat.html

Christina T said...

I think this sounds fantastic. Great pick!

Cynthia said...

I love books about witches and I really love the cover on this one. Sounds like a great one. =)

Karen said...

I hadn't come across this one yet... definitely sounds intriguing! Eldric and Briony sound like they have interesting times ahead.

Aleksandra said...

Great WoW pick! I have this one on my wishlist :)

MiaandSofia said...

A superb pick! It looks really intereasting. Happy Reading :)
Check out what I'm Waiting On Wednesday

Mia @GrippedintoBooks

I Read Banned Books said...

I almost picked this! Sounds great.

Jen

The Book Angel said...

Awesome pick! I really want to read this one. It's another one I'm adding to my list! I actually read my first book about...magic the other day called The Alchemyst by Michael Scott and I really liked it. I just posted the review, if you haven't read it, you should check it out! So, I'm liking the whole witch and magic thing. Thanks for giving me a new book to read! New Follower!

My Waiting on Wednesday:
http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

Jasmine (The Reading Housewives) said...

I just recently heard about this one but cannot wait for it!!

Jasmine
The Reading Housewives

Tevya said...

Yet another to add to my list! Thanks! I'm a new follower, too.

Tevya @ Reading Lark

GMR said...

Wow...great pick! Haven't heard of this one previously, but now that I have, I'll definitely be on the look out for it. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading! ^_^

Kaye said...

Does sound kinda intriguing. Have a good week and happy reading!

Aurelia said...

It definitely sounds an intriguing read! Thanks for sharing it, it's definitely one that I'll keep in mind to look out for.

This is the first time I've taken part in Waiting on Wednesday and that's how I found your blog :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooo, this one is a new one for me and it sounds really good. I have to agree with you, I really got into the legends behind Tyger Tyger too. :)

Thanks for sharing this as its a new one for me. :)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails