Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cover Comparison: Clockwork Angel & City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Cassandra Clare recently revealed on her blog the German covers for Clockwork Angel and City of Fallen Angels. Take a look:

Clockwork Angel will be released in Germany sometime in February 2011.

Here's the original version:



I like that they made the cover more steampunky for the German release because, for me, that was one of the most interesting aspects of the story -- the combination of all these genres, from fantasy to historical fiction to steampunk. I do think the German cover has a more middle grade feel, though, which might turn off some adult/YA readers even though this story is definitely for them. Overall, I think I prefer the US version -- the old-timey, sepia feel has a kind of romantic vibe, don't you think?


Here is the German cover for City of Fallen Angels:

City of Fallen Angels is set for release in Germany during Fall 2011

Here's the US cover:



I like that the cover is so different (but similar to the other German cover), and has all the mythical figures on it (griffins? hippogriffs? I'm not sure.) But again, I feel like this cover is more middle grade than YA. Maybe that's just because of the way American MGs are packaged, and the cover won't come across that way to a German reader? I don't know, but again I prefer the original -- it's so colorful and kind of ethereal.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Kristy J. said...

Neat! I like the German release covers..but I think I still prefer the US covers. I don't know why, they are just more appealing to me.
Kristy @ Dreaming By Day

NerdyBookLover said...

I like the US covers better.
The German ones kinda look childish.

Small Review said...

I prefer the US covers for both of these. I agree, the German covers look a little too MG, but you make a good point about how they would look to a German.

VABookworm87 said...

I completely agree with what you said! I think the German covers would draw a younger crowd. I definitely prefer the look of the U.S. versions.

lisa said...

i agree - the us covers are much more ya feeling...which makes sense since the books are clearly ya. interesting choice, deutschland.

Katie said...

I was just going to say that the German covers look a little more MG, and then I read that I'm not alone in my opinion!

The German covers are definitely cool; they just remind me more of something I'd see in my middle school library.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails