Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top Ten of 2010: The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa


Over the next 5 days (the last 5 of 2010) I'll be posting my Top Ten favorite reads of the year. They're not necessarily books released in 2010 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. These books are not in a particular order, they are simply my top ten favorite reads of the year.



IRON KING REVIEW

IRON DAUGHTER REVIEW

AUTHOR INTERVIEW



Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

First Line (The Iron King): 
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

Why I Loved It: I'm counting all 3 as 1 because I adore this whole series. The first thing that drew me to it was its relationship to my favorite Shakespeare play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Julie Kagawa takes the minor fey from the play -- Oberon, Titania, and especially Puck -- and turns them into complex and mesmerizing characters. This series has it all: action, adventure, romance, magic and mystery. I really couldn't ask for more. The heroine is a believable teenage girl, with just the right level of angst without being annoying. The two heroes vying for her attention are total opposites, and each is utterly swoon-worthy in his own right. There are so many fey creatures and territories in the Nevernever that there's always something new lurking around the next bend. And then there's Grimalkin: a sarcastic, sage and impatient talking feline. Not just any writer could make a talking cat a serious character in a series, but Grim really steals the show in every novel. He's hilarious and mysterious, infuriating and cuddly (but don't tell him I said that). This series kept me on my toes, and really invested in the characters -- I cared how things ended for them all, dark or light (and really, the fey blur that line until it's almost nonexistent).


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to purchase.

7 comments:

Misha said...

Can you believe I haven't read this series yet?! I have the first book however and I fully intend to read the series next year.

Ivy said...

I haven't read this series yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it! I hope to be able to read them soon!

Must Love Books said...

I adore this series! I can't wait to get my hands on Iron Queen!!!!

Small Review said...

I'm reading the first book right now and I'm really enjoying it! I'm up to where Meghan has just entered the fairy realm.

bookdout said...

I just posted my review of all three books - loved the series and now can't wait til #4!

elodie2310 said...

I've only heard positive things about these books !! I definitely have to buy them ... SOON !!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Misha & Ivy -- I definitely recommend reading these! They're so fantastic! And the covers are gooooorgeous =)

Must Love Books -- Try NetGalley! They have Iron Queen egalleys! ;-)

Small Review -- Yay! I'm so glad you're reading them! You'll love them! The Nevernever is so much fun (in a deadly and frequently sexy kind of way ;-))

bookdout -- I'm so excited there's going to be a 4th! I was depressed when I thought Iron Queen was the end.

Elodie -- Definitely check them out! I think you'll love them! Julie is awesome =)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails