Monday, December 27, 2010

Top Ten of 2010: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Over the next 5 days (the last 5 of 2010) I'll be posting my Top Ten favorite reads of the year. They're not necessarily books released in 2010 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. These books are not in a particular order, they are simply my top ten favorite reads of the year.



The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

MY REVIEW

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

First Line:
"When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold."

Why I Loved It: It was perfect. Really. It's the only perfect book I've ever read. The heroine, Katniss, was a perfect blend of heart and head. She was unapologetically tough and self-sufficient, unlike the many damsels-in-distress out there who need Prince Charming to ride in and save the day. The world Suzanne Collins built was cold and hard and unnervingly real. All the characters, not just Katniss, were complex, the premise was incredibly original, the themes were profound and meaningful, and the writing and narrative control were brilliant. There's not another book out there that I can say that about. I wish I'd read The Hunger Games years ago.


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to purchase.

7 comments:

elodie2310 said...

I totally agree with you : in this book we have a true heroine !!
I'm looking forward to see what's in your Top Ten !! =)

Kate said...

I agree! It's so hard to find a heroine who's flawed without being excessively needy. Suzanne Collins is an author I wish everyone would read. Interestingly enough, I discovered Hunger Games through Stephenie Meyers when the book first came out- Meyer's posted about it on her site.

Lauren M said...

I agree! The Hunger Games was just amazing. There's just so much about the book that I loved, and you touched on just about everything!
I'm looking forward to the rest of your top ten! :)

ashleyjensen22 said...

The Los Angeles Times tells the impressive strategy director Gary Ross used to be chosen to direct The Hunger Games! http://lat.ms/e24Eks

Gina said...

This book is one of the best I have ever read... I suggested it to my college professor and now she has decided to put it in our reading list for this year, well 2011- finally school books are going to be cool for once!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I was really impressed by this book! LOVED it!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Thanks everyone!

Kate -- That's funny, I actually remember hearing about it for the first time on Stephenie Meyer's website too!

Gina -- You are so lucky! When I was reading it, I kept thinking how it would be a great school read -- right up there with something like 1984!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails