Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top Ten of 2010: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare


Over the next 5 days (the last 5 of 2010) I'll be posting my Top Ten favorite reads of the year. They're not necessarily books released in 2010 -- just books that I've read in the past year. I'll be giving the synopsis and linking to my review (if it's been posted) and telling why I love these books so much. These books are not in a particular order, they are simply my top ten favorite reads of the year.



Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

MY REVIEW AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

First Line:

London, April 1878. The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.

Why I Loved It: Clockwork Angel combines my favorite things -- Victorian London and magic. The setting of this novel is so atmospheric, and brings Victorian London (both real and imagined) vividly to life. There are a whole host of mythical creatures populating the pages, from vampires and werewolves, to warlocks and Nephilim. Cassandra Clare has created such a rich and varied world. The Shadowhunters living in the London Institute are hilarious and loveable (for the most part), and brooding bad boy Will heats up the story. Aside from all this, the plot is full of twists and turns that left me stunned -- which is really saying something these days. It's hard to surprise me after all the paranormal books I've read. I couldn't put this book down. It balanced action and mystery, romance and mythology beautifully, and pulled me headfirst into the fascinating darkness of the London Downworld. As an added bonus, Cassandra Clare's writing is so eloquent -- not overwritten, but perfectly descriptive and sprinkled throughout with timely quotes from the literary canon.


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to purchase.

6 comments:

elodie2310 said...

I enjoyed reading Clockwork Angel even if I have to admit that I like The Mortal Instruments' series better !! Great choice !!

Aylee said...

I can't believe I haven't read this yet! Aah!

Bookgirl818 said...

I still haven't read this either - kicking myself for it! Loved the Mortal Instruments though. Great post!

Misha said...

I haven't read this yet! :(
I really need to buy this book.

Stacy at A Novel Source said...

I have not read this one yet but I have it on my TBR shelf 2nd from the top....perhaps I really need to put it at the top of the list now after reading your review! Awesome, by the way!

VABookworm87 said...

Not gonna lie... totally didn't read more than the title of this post... I'm halfway through the book :) It's great so far!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails